Sportsnet: Bennett has asked for a trade [ Part II ]

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why this continues. He got promoted to 1st line and doing well. They need him. No trade unless massive overpayment and someone that would upgrade their top 6. Basically no trade is coming. Haters can rest in peace.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like the Flames are better off keeping Bennett, just because he's way more valuable in their eyes than anything he'd ever bring back in a trade.

Other teams would value him like a soon to be 25 year old 3rd line grinder, while the Flames will value him higher because he was picked 4th overall for them.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I feel like the Flames are better off keeping Bennett, just because he's way more valuable in their eyes than anything he'd ever bring back in a trade.

I've been saying this for a long time. At the moment it's not even sure if Bennett asked for a trade or not, and some people here are making proposals thinking Flames want to dump him. Bennett is a good piece, and hopefully playing with Gaudreau and Monahan gets him going

Reactions: Fig and DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Other teams would value him like a soon to be 25 year old 3rd line grinder, while the Flames will value him higher because he was picked 4th overall for them.

Not because he was picked 4th. That has sailed long time ago. It's because he makes them a better team. Despite low points total, Bennett is a shit disturber, they are much more dangerous with him. And yes, nobody is going to give someone better. Also, Other than this 'trade request', Bennett has been an excellent team player. Says nothing and works hard.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Not sure why this continues. He got promoted to 1st line and doing well. They need him. No trade unless massive overpayment and someone that would upgrade their top 6. Basically no trade is coming. Haters can rest in peace.

Someone makes this absurd comment in every trade thread. It’s an epidemic.

Let’s just step back and remember this was prompted by Bennett asking for a trade (believe the denials if you want).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Let’s just step back and remember this was prompted by Bennett asking for a trade (believe the denials if you want).

Why should they trade him for less? He is not a quitter like Dubois. He is not an asshole like ADA.

And Bennett denied asking for a trade. It's something his agent started. Agent started because he is not being used properly. They addressed it. That's the end for now.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He’s played extremely effective with Gaudreau and Monahan.

I am upping my offer to three first round picks. Come get him while he’s hot

:laugh:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Actually it was his agent Darren Ferris who asked for the trade, through the media, and its not the first time he's done that for one of his clients who he feels is being hard done by. From all accounts, Bennett never went to Reliving and asked to be traded.
Also, just becsuse an agent asks for a trade doesn't mean thst Treliving HAS to comply. He's not going to make a trade where he ends up with the short end of the stick and hurts the team. Last time I looked Bennett is still an RFA when his current contract expires.

Reactions: Kahvi

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Why should they trade him for less? He is not a quitter like Dubois. He is not an asshole like ADA.

And Bennett denied asking for a trade. It's something his agent started. Agent started because he is not being used properly. They addressed it. That's the end for now.

Because he’s a mostly an underperforming player and he’s disgruntled. And people should be more realistic about why other teams would want him. That he might have some nice change of scenery potential and/or his playoff performance are reasons for teams to give up anything at all, not overpay.

Some of the lengths that people go to in order to inflate his value has been comical.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Because he’s a mostly an underperforming player and he’s disgruntled. And people should be more realistic about why other teams would want him. That he might have some nice change of scenery potential and his playoff performance is a reason for teams to give up anything at all, not overpay.

Some of the lengths that people go to in order to inflate his value has been comical.
Could say the same about the deflated takes too. Fact of the matter is there is interest and the Flames are playing Bennett more minutes to both up his value (where it should’ve been all along) and/or make him happy to stay here, because as other postered have mentioned, he’s likely more valuable to us than any other team. Otherwise, he would’ve been a member on a different NHL team at this point if we thought he was useless like some think he is.

Reactions: CF84 and DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Because he’s a mostly an underperforming player and he’s disgruntled. And people should be more realistic about why other teams would want him. That he might have some nice change of scenery potential and/or his playoff performance are reasons for teams to give up anything at all, not overpay.

Well, I said they don't need to trade him unless overpayment. He is contributing, probably more than what they can get for him. That is different from inflating his value.

What part of they don't need to trade him is so hard to understand?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
What I got out of the original reporting was that Darren Ferris went to Treliving and said "Sam EITHER wants a bigger role OR to be traded to a team that will give him that bigger role." Since that was made public Bennett has been placed with Gaudreau and Monahan where he has looked effective.

Playing with Gaudreau and Monahan is a much "bigger role" than before like he wanted. So as long as Bennett remains effective there, I think this keeps him happy and Calgary will not look to trade him.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Well, I said they don't need to trade him unless overpayment. He is contributing, probably more than what they can get for him. That is different from inflating his value.

What part of they don't need to trade him is so hard to understand?

"Do not need to trade him" does not equal "massive overpay". This is sandbox logic. Do you serioualy think conversations between GMs have this kind of posturing?

No trades would ever happen, if this were the case.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Ice time last 5 seasons in chronological order: 15:09, 14:59, 14:24, 13:17, 12:31.

I would demand a trade as well.

Reactions: McJedi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
"Do not need to trade him" does not equal "massive overpay". This is sandbox logic. Do you serioualy think conversations between GMs have this kind of posturing?

Don't need to trade him doesn't mean other teams get to go all Pawn Stars on the Flames and offer stink bids.

Reactions: CF84 and DFF

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Hes a low performing player who has asked out. If he wasn't united in this vision he would have fired Ferris quite obviously. Does anyone actually believe that Ferris went this route without having a clear go ahead and understanding of the situation from Bennett? That is incredibly illogical.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

It’s a absurd comment no doubt but it does go both ways in these threads
Overpayment or they trash the player in order to try and convince to take a junk offer from them. All crazy cause none of us are actually making any real life trades

Reactions: CF84 and Mazatt

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

No but it means I am not trading him unless you give me what I need /want. Since he is playing well now, that means overpayment for what you haters think since you don't want to pay much for him....think and you will get it

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I can see them working out something along the lines for Bennet + 1st for Strome or another younger center.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hes a low performing player who has asked out. If he wasn't united in this vision he would have fired Ferris quite obviously. Does anyone actually believe that Ferris went this route without having a clear go ahead and understanding of the situation from Bennett? That is incredibly illogical.

There is no question he wants a bigger role. It's not a Dubois thing where I quit if you don't trade me.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
No but it means I am not trading him unless you give me what I need /want. Since he is playing well now, that means overpayment for you haters think since you don't want to pay much for him....think and you will get it

A lot of teams are still in contention. Once the field of playoff contenders thins out and more teams fall out of contention, there will be more alternatives as trade partners.

His value might be at its best now. But enjoy the sandbox.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I disagree that there was unification in the vision and that the player would fire him if there wasn't.

Ferris has pulled power moves with several of his clients already. There has often been outright denial, but support for him pulling these moves. Ferris is a little bit of a trouble maker, but you cannot deny that he usually pulls something good for his clients (and also himself). I also believe for Bennett and Mete the specific wording was change of scenery. It can mean trade, but doesn't necessarily mean trade (ie: Squares vs rectangles).

Contracts by Agent | Puckpedia

Marner, Hall, Domi, Anderson, Bennett, AA, Mete etc.

That's a lot of players on his list that have been involved in trade rumors, actual trades or contract negotiation stalls. Because it's Ferris, I wouldn't be surprised if he spearheaded the idea of requesting a change of scenery and maybe be open minded to a trade and then afterward tries to convince his client to jump on board as well before pressuring the team. It seems Mete and Bennett weren't convinced they wanted to be traded, but definitely wanted an improvement to their deployment.

Reactions: DFF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad