Barzal Or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The body of work is much greater than a 25 game sample size.

Is it? How so?
Barzal has played 1 season, a season in which he scored 85 points. Matthews hasn't eclipsed 70 point yet albeit with a season shortened by injury. What's this big body of work that illustrates Matthews as the far superior player.

In any event, it's hard to compare the two because they are completely different players but I don't see what makes Matthews a far better players based on what we've seen thus far in their NHL careers.

I do think that Matthews is better and could wind up a good deal better but that's based more on projection than proven production.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Seems like you should be directing your ire at idiots that jump people who aren't drawing attention to themselves or looking to cause problems
Of course they are idiots. Things like this are why I almost never go to games vs the Rangers because it's nothing but a gigantic brawl in the stands. But the people needlessly and pointlessly whipping them into a frenzy bear plenty of responsibility as well.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Of course they are idiots. Things like this are why I almost never go to games vs the Rangers because it's nothing but a gigantic brawl in the stands. But the people needlessly and pointlessly whipping them into a frenzy bear plenty of responsibility as well.

If childishness being called out as childish on the internet whips the childish people into a frenzy... it's on the them for being childish

Reactions: BayStreetBully

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Obviously Matthews is the better player but everyone knew that Barzal would see a decrease in production due to two reasons. Tavares isn't there to take the tough minutes and Trotz has the Isles playing a much better defensive game. The only thing you can really knock Matthews on is his injury history.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Obviously Matthews is the better player but everyone knew that Barzal would see a decrease in production due to two reasons. Tavares isn't there to take the tough minutes and Trotz has the Isles playing a much better defensive game. The only thing you can really knock Matthews on is his injury history.
I honestly think Eberle pretty much going to hell has hurt Barzal the most. They had such spectacular chemistry last season and that hasn't happened this year. Would also help if when Barzal was skating around looking for an open man if his teammates actualy moved and didn't just stand around and watch him.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
HF in its entirety trolled when 70% voted Petterson better than Matthews
Don't blame me, I didn't vote that way.

My summary of this thread: Comparing Matthews and Barzal right now would be like comparing Mario and Ron Francis (my all time childhood hero): Mario is better, but Ronnie is still one of the 100 greatest players in hockey history. Right now Matthews is probably a top 5 player in the entire league but that doesn't mean Barzal isn't an amazing player himself.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Don't blame me, I didn't vote that way.

My summary of this thread: Comparing Matthews and Barzal right now would be like comparing Mario and Ron Francis (my all time childhood hero): Mario is better, but Ronnie is still one of the 100 greatest players in hockey history. Right now Matthews is probably a top 5 player in the entire league but that doesn't mean Barzal isn't an amazing player himself.
Francis top 100? I'd like to think he's better than that.

Reactions: sabremike

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd take Barzal to be honest, as crazy as that sounds. I think Matthews is a good player, but Barzal is too underrated in so... many aspects that it's not even funny. The best thing about Barzal are his hockey sense, playmaking, and skating abilities.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
People will probably think I'm hating on Matthews because of how I chose Barzal over him, but I do think when Pettersson fully matures, he has strong potential to be up with McDavid and Crosby.

Matthews is a generational goal scoring center that hasn’t matured yet either. It’s not even close .

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
mostly because Matthews started in his D+1 season, Barzal started in his D+3

Oh yeah, I do think this is Matthews because of his instant impact on the team. The Leafs are a better team so he's probably in a bit better spot to produce, but then again, Matthews is probably the best player in that better team.

I just thought it was pretty impressive by Barzal to be basically on striking distance to Matthews in PPG. Auston is still the better player IMO and the difference is also clear to me.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Right now, Matthews. In the long run, Barzal.

Don't think Matthews career will be longer than 6-7 seasons due to his weak body. A couple more hits to his shoulders and he's done. Sad.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Oh yeah, I do think this is Matthews because of his instant impact on the team. The Leafs are a better team so he's probably in a bit better spot to produce, but then again, Matthews is probably the best player in that better team.

I just thought it was pretty impressive by Barzal to be basically on striking distance to Matthews in PPG. Auston is still the better player IMO and the difference is also clear to me.
well, Barzal is super impressive. he was ridiculously good last year and I think it's getting underappreciated how good he can be due to his weak performance so far this year. I still think Matthews is better, but I also maintain that Barzal is right in the mix of the top young players after McDavid

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Right now, Matthews. In the long run, Barzal.

Don't think Matthews career will be longer than 6-7 seasons due to his weak body. A couple more hits to his shoulders and he's done. Sad.

There's literally no way of knowing that. Malkin is still going on and he's had a lot of issues. Selanne broke (they were clean broken apart) his Tibia and Fibula as a 18 year old, cut his achilles tendon at 23, had reconstructive knee surgery at 34 and he scored 80 points in 73 games at 40 years old.

Predicting career ending injuries is incredibly hard and while I do think there's some cause for concern with Matthews he just as easily could never have issues with health again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad