Barzal Or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Slight edge to Matthews.
Both are in the same tier along with Eichel, Laine and a few others. And below Mac and obviously McDavid. Matthews is a bit better right now but that could easily change if Barzal continues on his trajectory. Matthews is an elite goal scorer and Barzal is an elite playmaker so to an extent depends on team needs.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Before Tavares lets look at the talent around Matthews, .. And Barzal lets look at the talent around him.. Hmm not sure if Matthews is much better or better.. Rookie season for each having both played full seasons as rookies, Barzal out performed Matthews

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Before Tavares lets look at the talent around Matthews, .. And Barzal lets look at the talent around him.. Hmm not sure if Matthews is much better or better.. Rookie season for each having both played full seasons as rookies, Barzal out performed Matthews

lol.

Make a poll. Matthews is better...

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Both teams have pretty good talent on the wing... I don't get this post.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im a massive Barzal fan but i give slight edge to Matthews. But there is definate potential down the road for it to flip flop for me

IMO Tavares is sorta the kicker.. Him on TO will make Matthews better where as if JT stayed on Isles, he could have made Barzal better

That unreal 1,2 punch at center is key

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
lmfao holy shit. yes. Auston Matthews has the best 5on5 goal rate since he entered the league by a good margin over McDavid, and by a god damn mile over everyone else, but sure, Pettersson, Barzal, whoever ya got, whatever. Anyone on a hot streak might be better than Matthews. Pens fans were probably justifiably angry when "is Toews/Doughty/Kopitar/whoever better than Crosby??" threads happened, but knowing that Connor McDavid is a million miles ahead of everyone, it's hilarious to me that everyone hot streak of the week makes everyone rush to compare them to the Leafs' best player just because nobody can deal with the Leafs being good. I mean, hey, it's been 15 years, so half this site can hardly remember the Leafs ever being good, but come on, if you're gonna rush to do hot takes, go the extra mile and compare to McDavid/Sid instead of making clear your homer love of your favorite player STILL doesn't outweigh how much you hate the Leafs.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Based on anything? Stats? Or personal eye test? Also, why are you using a half seasons sample size?
Same reason you used a half year sample size for Marner except that in this case Barzal was a rookie who got limited ice time to start out the season and then took on a bigger role as the season went on.
It’s really not that complicated.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
That probably had nothing to do with the fact that there are probably 5x more leaf fans than NYI fans

Just trying to help the guy who was wanting to make a poll. No point doing it again if it's going to result the same.

It probably also helps that Matthews is legitimately the better player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->