Barzal Or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
One of the dumber comparisons we've seen on this site

See:
I’m not even convinced Barzal is better than Kapanen. Let alone Matthews, Marner or Tavares.

Barzal v Kapanen is the real comparison, but even then, Kapanen looks like the better offensive producer and the much better defensive player.

If Barzal gets a payday, he really needs to give half his salary to Tavares.

Reactions: sabremike

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I'm a Leafs fan but Barzal is one of my fav players. But holy moses has he ever been disappointing this season. Bordering on awful. I really hope this is one of those cute "sophomore slumps" that I'm not sure I totally believe in but will chalk this up to that anyways.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You guys don’t ever seem to learn your lesson. You guys look ridiculous after comparing Barzal to Matthews. And now you’re cocky enough as to laugh off Barzal v Kapanen. Just means another thread bump in the future for you to complain about, which I’m sure at that time you’d love your cockiness to be swept under the rug.

Oh the irony of this post is too rich for me.

No Kapanen is not better than Barzal. You clearly cant look at anything Toronto objectively. Its like sens fans saying White is better than Barzal its ridiculous.

I wouldn’t trade McDavid for Barzal and Matthews.

That you Pete?... Yikes.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think it's fair to say, neither are finished products. Both are big talents. Just vastly different players. Goal scoring vs Playmaking Centers.

Also the Isles are in a transition year this season. They have a new coach, and I feel this is a year they may want to sell off assets to gain a head start on rebuilding. Tell me one player that is going to have a career year in these circumstances to a team that is in the top 3 in the league in points.

The best answer is both these players have many more years to shine, I look at it as in what Eichel is doing this year when the circumstances are more favourable to him.

But yes, it's Matthews now. But it doesn't take away from Barzal's rookie year of 85 points, his rookie year showed immense potential and is a good barometer of things to come for him when he peaks as a player.
Yeah, I suspect both will have periods of being ahead of the other depending on how the teams around them rise and fall. They're both insanely talented and still very young. Like you said, no Isles players are going to have career years this year and at the same time the Leafs are really humming. Matthews is part of that and is taking advantage of it, which is an accomplishment in itself, I don't point out that the team around him is better to diminish him.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Can you guys do a thread trolling the Rangers fans so that every hockey fan in NYS can be united in absolutely hating and despising you???

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Matthews by a landslide. Barzal is still good, but looks like a poor mans Henrik Sedin or Joe Thronton this season so far.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
I don't really think the players are very comparable but are each exceptional in their own way. If I had to choose, I choose Matthews and for me it's not a tough decision really.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The islanders haven’t scored on the powerplay in 9.... never mind, it’s not worth it. Matthews is and will likely be better (if he can stay healthy) but there’s sooo many factors being ignored by the leaf ces pool.

Then again, why am I surprised.
It's pretty amazing. You invented a bunch of assumptions as if they would change anything and then were dazzled by your own invention. ..apparently.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Healthy ill take mathews.

But knowing what we kno about Mathews injury concers, ill take Barzal all day.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You know why this trolling bullshit by some Leafs fans here and online REALLY pisses me off? One of my best friends is a Leafs fan from Toronto and I always use account credit I am given as an Isles STH to get him and his girlfriend tickets, and when the Leafs come to town I gladly take care of them. In fact I am doing the same thing for them when the Leafs visit Newark as a Devils STH. But with the trolling helping to create an atmosphere where fans are out for blood in late February I can't do that because I don't want to take the risk of them (and they are people who in no way draw attention to themselves or look for problems) getting jumped in the parking lot or inside the building by some idiots.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Petterson getting 70% of the votes in a Matthews/Petterson poll?

Seriously that was downright cringeworthy when hf collectively voted Pettersson the better player already, it wasn't even talking about potential. It just seems too funny right now.

Reactions: nobody

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
You know why this trolling bull**** by some Leafs fans here and online REALLY pisses me off? One of my best friends is a Leafs fan from Toronto and I always use account credit I am given as an Isles STH to get him and his girlfriend tickets, and when the Leafs come to town I gladly take care of them. In fact I am doing the same thing for them when the Leafs visit Newark as a Devils STH. But with the trolling helping to create an atmosphere where fans are out for blood in late February I can't do that because I don't want to take the risk of them (and they are people who in no way draw attention to themselves or look for problems) getting jumped in the parking lot or inside the building by some idiots.

I am considering going to that game in NY. I love visiting NY.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Lets not focus on the one insane Leaf fan who thinks Kapanen is better than Barzal, instead how about the enormous mob of hf posters who think every good young player is going to surpass Matthews?

Reactions: nobody and IPS

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You know why this trolling bull**** by some Leafs fans here and online REALLY pisses me off? One of my best friends is a Leafs fan from Toronto and I always use account credit I am given as an Isles STH to get him and his girlfriend tickets, and when the Leafs come to town I gladly take care of them. In fact I am doing the same thing for them when the Leafs visit Newark as a Devils STH. But with the trolling helping to create an atmosphere where fans are out for blood in late February I can't do that because I don't want to take the risk of them (and they are people who in no way draw attention to themselves or look for problems) getting jumped in the parking lot or inside the building by some idiots.

Seems like you should be directing your ire at idiots that jump people who aren't drawing attention to themselves or looking to cause problems

Reactions: Max Money
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->