Barkov or Matthews?

Barkov or Matthews?

• Total voters

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Being better at everything makes him better than Barkov. The legend of Barkov's mythical defensive play continues. Maybe he needs Tavares to take him to school in another playoff series to put this nonsense to rest.
Better at everything? Come on man... Barkov is a bit overrated here and I agree, Matthews is better. But no question is Barkov better defensively

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Being better at everything makes him better than Barkov. The legend of Barkov's mythical defensive play continues. Maybe he needs Tavares to take him to school in another playoff series.

Only thing Matthews is better than Barkov is skating and scoring goals, which is pretty huge, but cmon don't be the usual troll you are. I know you are one of the biggest Leafs fans on this board and even you can't deny Barkov is better coming to his season. Both have most likely improved since last year so it's Matthews to prove he really is better, otherwise it's proven commodity.

Reactions: LOFIN

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Only thing Matthews is better than Barkov is skating and scoring goals, which is pretty huge, but cmon don't be the usual troll you are. I know you are one of the biggest Leafs fans on this board and even you can't deny Barkov is better coming to his season. Both have most likely improved since last year so it's Matthews to prove he really is better, otherwise it's proven commodity.
Irrelevant. Why do you think Matthews has been ranked ahead of Barkov pretty much on every list that's produced by paid professionals? Are they all Leafs fans too? Barkov is stunningly overrrated on HFBoards. I don't know how the Finns do this with all their players.

I think it's time everybody gets with the program. These HFBoards beliefs about every non-Leaf center and their dog being better than Matthews is not rooted in reality whatsoever.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Besides scoring goals what is Matthews better at?
Skating
Scoring
IQ
Vision

You can disagree with the last two but the first two are definite. Skating and shooting are two of the most important traits in hockey, you don't need much more than that to be a better player, especially when everything else but defense is super close.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Irrelevant. Why do you think Matthews has been ranked ahead of Barkov pretty much on every list that's produced by paid professionals? Are they all Leafs fans too. Barkov is stunningly overrrated on HFBoards. I don't know how the Finns do this with all their players.

I could ask the same with Leafs fan, but short answer TSN, SN. Good luck being the "Mecca" of hockey. Matthews will most likely to be the better player, but at least last season he was not. Why do you suggest he is now with no evidence? Did Barkov slouch or is Matthews improving faster than the speed of light?

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I could ask the same with Leafs fan, but short answer TSN and SN. Good luck being the "Mecca" of hockey. Matthews will most likely to be the better player, but at least last season he was not. Why do you suggest he is now with no evidence? Did Barkov slouch or is Matthews improving faster than the speed of light?
Oh please. This nonsense gets brought up every time and it gets stupider every time I read it. What exactly were these TSN and SN lists doing when they made their rankings when Kessel was a Leaf?? Everybody seemed to be eh-ok with where Kessel got ranked. All of a sudden the Leafs draft one of the best players in the world and oh noes those TSN and SN lists are so biased towards the Leafs!!

These double standards get more hilarious as time goes on. Matthews was better than Barkov last year (like paid professionals said) and he's better than Barkov this year (which again, paid professionals are fully on board with).

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Skating
Scoring
IQ
Vision

You can disagree with the last two but the first two are definite. Skating and shooting are two of the most important traits in hockey, you don't need much more than that to be a better player, especially when everything else but defense is super close.
Both are good skaters but Barkov is much better at protecting the puck and a playmaker. Matthews needs to improve his play making and defensive game a lot to pass Barkov.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Oh please. This nonsense gets brought up every time and it gets stupider every time I read it. What exactly were these TSN and SN lists doing when they made their rankings when Kessel was a Leaf?? Everybody seemed to be eh-ok with where Kessel got ranked. All of a sudden the Leafs draft one of the best players in the world and oh noes those TSN and SN lists are so biased towards the Leafs!!

These double standards get more hilarious as time goes on.

What double standards? Kessel was always elite he is a winger who doesn't drive a line so when his team sucks he sucks. It's like how people called OV to be a loser and you can not build around a winger. Matthews is the best 1st overall after McDavid no questions asked in the last years, but he isn't a polished gem which should excite you, he is going to be more polished and better in the future, BUT Barkov is currently the better overall player. I don't understand what your problem is. I don't even care about Canadian cities but be honest even Canadian media is biased towards their own like every other media is.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I could ask the same with Leafs fan, but short answer TSN, SN and being good ol' canadian boy. Good luck being the "Mecca" of hockey. Matthews will most likely to be the better player, but at least last season he was not. Why do you suggest he is now with no evidence? Did Barkov slouch or is Matthews improving faster than the speed of light?
You do know that Matthews is American so TSN and Sportsnet using the good ol' Canadian boy is wrong to say.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
You do know that Matthews is American so TSN and Sportsnet using the good ol' Canadian boy is wrong to say.

My bad I'll edit it off, but the point stays. Matthews can this year prove himself to be the better player and I'll be happy for Leafs fans if he does. For now it's Barkov for me, it is just an opinion so feel free to disagree.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My bad I'll edit it off, but the point stays. Matthews can this year prove himself to be the better player and I'll be happy for Leafs fans if he does.
Why doesn't Barkov at least have a 30 goal season which he has not yet had and that's something all #1 centres should get, where as Matthews scored 40 goals as a rookie and 34 goals in his sophomore season.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Why doesn't Barkov at least have a 30 goal season which he has not yet had which all #1 centres should get, where as Matthews scored 40 goals as a rookie and 34 goals in his sophomore season.

Just like saying why Matthews doesn't have a 70 point season yet which all #1 centres should get? You understand the question is currently, not who will be. Is it so hard to believe some might think Barkov is the better player currently for you?

EDIT: I feel they really didn't focus on my point in the last replies, rather which they felt convenient to focus on. We are all entitled to our own opinions, time will tells us wrong or right. I'm done here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Skating
Scoring
IQ
Vision

Matthews has had games where he's been dominant defensively too. If he were average defensively I would take Barkov, but he's not and in terms of overall play I really think we will start to see some separation from these two from here on out. The main thing about Matthews' defensive game that sticks out as being worse than Barkov is he is far more prone to giveaways and fumbling the puck when trying to do too much. Barkov is a lot like Kopitar, plays a very safe game with the puck, rarely gives it up and always finds the open man in transition. But as far as positional play, picking off passes and stealing the puck in all zones he's right there with him. Offensively I honestly believe they are further apart than their recent point totals indicate, and that's where we will see Matthews push well ahead of him here this season. He already is clearly ahead anyway when we consider their ice time and their goals/primary/ES points.

Last edited:

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Since Barkov is in his 6th season and Matthews is in his 3rd season obviously he would get more attempts and more total shootout goals. However isn't it a good thing if any player likes Matthews has less attempts in the shootout because it means his team isn't participating in them that much because they are winning more in regulation or overtime.
Stop already defending or try to change the subject while the case is already there. It lights more the fact that Barkov has played in a bad team most of the time of his career and Barkov can bring two points to his team with individual shootout goal. He doesn't have the same privilege as Matthews.

Shootouts: Barkov >> Matthews. /Case.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Stop already defending or try to change the subject while the case is already there. It lights more the fact that Barkov has played in a bad team most of the time of his career and Barkov can bring two points to his team with individual shootout goal. He doesn't have the same privilege as Matthews.

Shootouts: Barkov >> Matthews. /Case.
How exactly am I doing that? It's a common fact that Barkov going into his 6th season and Matthews going into his 3rd season would obviously mean that Barkov has had more success in the shootout compared to Matthews. It's okay if you want to point that out as a stat which separates them, however the context surrounding why Barkov has had more success is clearly obvious due to him being in the league a lot longer, so that's why I pointed out he has had more attempts and total goals.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
How exactly am I doing that? It's a common fact that Barkov going into his 6th season and Matthews going into his 3rd season would obviously mean that Barkov has had more success in the shootout compared to Matthews. It's okay if you want to point that out as a stat which separates them, however the context surrounding why Barkov has had more success is clearly obvious due to him being in the league a lot longer, so that's why I pointed out he has had more attempts and total goals.
Twice the chances - 49% percent greater success rate. Barkov > Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Twice the chances - 49% percent greater success rate. Barkov > Matthews.
It helps getting twice the chances since he's been in the league since the 2013-2014 season, where as Matthews has been in the league since the 2016-2017 season. Like I was saying before that's why Barkov has had a greater success rate, so can you at least admit it's true?

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
It helps getting twice the chances since he's been in the league since the 2013-2014 season, where as Matthews has been in the league since the 2016-2017 season. Like I was saying before that's why Barkov has had a greater success rate, so can you at least admit it's true?
Of course I can admit that but it can be thought the other way around. Bigger sample size gives you the chance to fail more. But let's not stick to this particular skill line. I mean October is here :thumbu:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

No it doesnt work like that.

The less attemps the more a succesful attempt sway the succes rate.

Its harder to keep succes going over larger sample size.

More attemps means less chance of flukes. Barkov is one of the best in the shootout over his career. So far matthews is nowhere near in this regard. If you still doubt it check some barkov shootout moves and then matthews and get back to me.

Matthews has other things going for him, the shootout is not one of them especially not when comparing to one of the most creative and effective shootout player in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad