Barkov or Matthews?

Barkov or Matthews?

• Total voters

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is there any question that both will be top 5 C of the next generation, taking over for the Crosby/Thornton/Bergeron era?

Matthews is pretty young which means he's just the beginning of his generation.

So he'll have Jack Hughes and others to compete with.

It's plausible though, but I would say that there is still some question. A generation is a long time.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Lmao this is gonna be even worse when Matthews gets $10M+ for the next 9 years.

The reason Matthews is going to get paid 10+ and Barkov didn't is because Barkov couldn't hold Matthews' jock during his ELC.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I could be wrong, but didn't Barkov get his first Selke votes in his D+3? Which would be the year Matthews is entering.

Honestly idk. I’m kinda just being an ass as you really can’t go wrong with either player here. Matthews will probably always be a bit better offensively than Barkov, but Barkov will always be better than Matthews defensively.

Reactions: Se829ne

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

It's plausible though, but I would say that there is still some question. A generation is a long time.

They're within a 3 year age gap........ safe to say they're all in the same generation..

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The reason Matthews is going to get paid 10+ and Barkov didn't is because Barkov couldn't hold Matthews' jock during his ELC.

Will you guys be whining about having to pay him like this whole Nylander situation? :laugh:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Will you guys be whining about having to pay him like this whole Nylander situation? :laugh:

Go look at my post history when it comes to paying young players.

In fact, go back to the Nylander thread right now.

Apr 27, 2016

So you put Barkov in the same generation with Thornton, Crosby and Bergeron? Barky was like four years old when Jumbo played his rookie season.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Goal scoring: Matthews
Playmaking: Barkov
Powerplay: Even
PK: Barkov
Defence: Barkov
Contract: Barkov

I mean Matthews is a bulldozer with a puck and scores tons of goals. But somehow I still think that I would pick Sasha.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There’s really no wrong answer. One guy looks like a goal scoring machine who will likely improve defensively and as a playmaker as he gets more experience.
The other guy will likely have less offence but will be an elite two way center.
I went with Barkov because I think the two way guys are so valuable but would be delighted to have either.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Is there any question that both will be top 5 C of the next generation, taking over for the Crosby/Thornton/Bergeron era?
Yes. There’s still a question. We still need to go through at least 7 more drafts before anyone can make that kind of projection. A generation is longer than a three year period.
Let’s see what Jack Hughes and some of the other future draftees become. Then there’s Eichel, Barzal, Barkov and Matthews along with McDavid already among the young guys.
Way too early to be saying that.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

If Matthews ever gets compared with Hughes it will only happen since both are Americans and chances are Hughes will go 1st overall in 2019, so there will also be that comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad