Barkov or Matthews?

Barkov or Matthews?

• Total voters

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Barkov is a lot better defensively and similar offensively (hes more talented even there, better hands, vision, passing etc). Auston is atm pretty one-dimensional center.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
About shootouts comparison.

Only very hastely made quick inspection is enough to tell who is 'The Magician' and who is an apprentice.

The penalty shot against quick was really nice by matthews tho :)

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
The penalty shot against quick was really nice by matthews tho :)

Sure. Matthews clearly knows the art. However, if we nitpick who is the true artist in shootouts between these two, then the answer is clear. Of course that can change in the future, and stylistically they score their goals very differently.

Matthews: Straightforward assault tank shooting puck directly to net
Barkov: Almost lazy looking, slow moving berry picker on a remote wilderness path, going directly to the psyche of what ever bush golem he may encounter out there, doing some idle, little arcane magic wand waving, and then leisurely humiliating these road blocks that have already by themselves made their position impossible for a success against the berry picking magus.

That's the difference.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Once the current reputation for Bergeron and Kopitar fade, Barkov will be lining his mantle with Selke trophies.

One of the best all around young players in the league.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
These results pretty accurately describe my feelings. I think they're already superbly close. I consider Barkov just a smidge ahead. I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews overtakes him this season.

54% Barky and 46% Matthews.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Barkov is a lot better defensively and similar offensively (hes more talented even there, better hands, vision, passing etc). Auston is atm pretty one-dimensional center.

Honestly, that is a ridiculous comment.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Sure. Matthews clearly knows the art. However, if we nitpick who is the true artist in shootouts between these two, then the answer is clear. Of course that can change in the future, and stylistically they score their goals very differently.

Matthews: Straightforward assault tank shooting puck directly to net
Barkov: Almost lazy looking, slow moving berry picker on a remote wilderness path, going directly to the psyche of what ever bush golem he may encounter out there, doing some idle, little arcane magic wand waving, and then leisurely humiliating these road blocks that have already by themselves made their position impossible for a success against the berry picking magus.

That's the difference.

Quite the descriptions you got there, lol.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
I see Matthews being a Stamkos-like center(pre-injury), and Barkov being a Kopitar-like center, both in styles and comparable playing level. I'm a huge Barkov fan so I see him as maybe even a half step up on that in the future.

As said, Barkov is one of my favorite players so maybe I'm bias, but I would take the all situations center who still can go PPG in Barkov. But can't blame anyone for taking a guy who will put up 40 goals and I wouldn't be surprised to see Matthews hit 50 goals. It's a close comparison.

I feel by the end of the year we will know whether Matthews is gonna be a top 5C, or whether he will only be behind McDavid

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I see Matthews being a Stamkos-like center(pre-injury), and Barkov being a Kopitar-like center, both in styles and comparable playing level. I'm a huge Barkov fan so I see him as maybe even a half step up on that in the future.

As said, Barkov is one of my favorite players so maybe I'm bias, but I would take the all situations center who still can go PPG in Barkov. But can't blame anyone for taking a guy who will put up 40 goals and I wouldn't be surprised to see Matthews hit 50 goals. It's a close comparison.

I feel by the end of the year we will know whether Matthews is gonna be a top 5C, or whether he will only be behind McDavid

Matthews plays nothing like Stamkos. Far more dominant at even strength and better with the puck, much better actually.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
forget about contracts. because matthews shouldnt get to use the fact that he is on an ELC to his advantage right?

ppg+ 40g scorer > not ppg not 30g scorer

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Barkov is clearly better right now but it took a couple of seasons to get going.(although he was put in an impossible situation centering the 1st line with two horrible wingers.)
Matthews came as a finished product straight out of the draft. Some people seem to think development is linear and he will keep on developing.
I think he is pretty close to his ceiling right now. All of his tools are as elite as they come but he just doesn't have the mind of an elite playmaker and 2-way center. So for that reason it's Barkov but I could easily be proven wrong.

Reactions: MVPGoon

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I think Barkov right now is better overall player and can make his linemates better than Matthews can at the moment but Matthews has huge potential and his goal scoring ability is there with the best of them and better than Barkov's. Can I have both?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Barkov is clearly better right now but it took a couple of seasons to get going.(although he was put in an impossible situation centering the 1st line with two horrible wingers.)
Matthews came as a finished product straight out of the draft. Some people seem to think development is linear and he will keep on developing.
I think he is pretty close to his ceiling right now. All of his tools are as elite as they come but he just doesn't have the mind of an elite playmaker and 2-way center. So for that reason it's Barkov but I could easily be proven wrong.
Best reasoned post so far.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Trophies Matthews will eventually win: Hart, Art Ross, Rocket, Lindsay Conn Smythe (Stanley cup)

Trophies Barkov will eventually win: Selke

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Trophies Matthews will eventually win: Hart, Art Ross, Rocket, Lindsay Conn Smythe (Stanley cup)

Trophies Barkov will eventually win: Selke
I don't see any of those trophies in Matthews future as long as McDavid is in the league. Conn Smythe based on his last playoffs is down right laughable. He folded like a lawn chair.

Reactions: MVPGoon

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't see any of those trophies in Matthews future as long as McDavid is in the league. Conn Smythe based on his last playoffs is down right laughable. He folded like a lawn chair.
No player has ever gone on to win a Conn Smythe after having a bad playoff series before

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
About shootouts comparison.

Only very hastely made quick inspection is enough to tell who is 'The Magician' and who is an apprentice.

There's no shootouts in the playoffs and the Leafs playoffs hopes don't ride on the results of them.

I can see why Panthers fans would consider shootouts important though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad