Barkov or Matthews?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Career shootout goals

Barkov 19/36 (52,3%)
Matthews 5/14 (35,1%)

Barkov's shootout goals are flashy and they GO IN. It's not even "if they go in" while Matthews' not so great moves aren't going in with same success.

Over twice as many opportunities too, which is damn impressive.
Since Barkov is in his 6th season and Matthews is in his 3rd season obviously he would get more attempts and more total shootout goals. However isn't it a good thing if any player likes Matthews has less attempts in the shootout because it means his team isn't participating in them that much because they are winning more in regulation or overtime.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Since Barkov is in his 6th season and Matthews is in his 3rd season obviously he would get more attempts and more total shootout goals. However isn't it a good thing if any player likes Matthews has less attempts in the shootout because it means his team isn't participating in them that much because they are winning more in regulation or overtime.
Actually scoring on a higher percentage of shoot out attempts over a much larger sample size is a positive thing. There’s simply no way to spin it as a negative for Barkov or a positive for Matthews.
There’s valid arguments to choose Matthews. But not based on shootouts.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You're focusing on the wrong number. It's not the total goals, but the percentage of success, that gives Barkov the edge.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Actually scoring on a higher percentage of shoot out attempts over a much larger sample size is a positive thing. There’s simply no way to spin it as a negative for Barkov or a positive for Matthews.
I agree that scoring in the shootout is a positive thing compared to not scoring in it. However you missed my point that since Barkov has been in the league a lot longer than Matthews obviously he would have more total attempts. That is just basic common knowledge which you can not argue with. Plus in all of the shootouts Barkov has scored in how many of those games did the Panthers end up winning? In the end I stand by what I previously said in that if any teams win a lot more in regulation or overtime they can not improve on their shootout totals. Now in Matthews rookie season the Leafs were 1-8 in the shootout and Matthews was 2-6 in shootout attempts. Last season the Leafs shootout record was 7-2 and Matthews was 3-6 in shootout attempts.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I agree that scoring in the shootout is a positive thing compared to not scoring in it. However you missed my point that since Barkov has been in the league a lot longer than Matthews obviously he would have more total attempts. That is just basic common knowledge which you can not argue with. Plus in all of the shootouts Barkov has scored in how many of those games did the Panthers end up winning? In the end I stand by what I previously said in that if any teams win a lot more in regulation or overtime they can not improve on their shootout totals. Now in Matthews rookie season the Leafs were 1-8 in the shootout and Matthews was 2-6 in shootout attempts. Last season the Leafs shootout record was 7-2 and Matthews was 3-6 in shootout attempts.
As another poster said it’s the percentage that counts not the attempts. Barkov is much better over a much larger sample size.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
As another poster said it’s the percentage that counts not the attempts. Barkov is much better over a much larger sample size.
That's because last season Barkov was playing in his 5th season and Matthews was playing in his 2nd season. So obviously he would have a much larger sample size by default which is the point I'm trying to explain.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Developmental years only seem to be an issue if you're comparing two players who are on par with one another. If Matthews is vastly superior to Barkov, then Barkov's extra years of development should have no impact.

Ex: who is better today: John Tavares or Connor McDavid. Not a single Oiler fan has to say, "But, but ... it's not fair because Tavares has had more years of development" because it's clear who the better player is.

So essentially, I guess that means you agree that it's very, very close between Barkov and Matthews, then.
yes, I said they were close in my post. Matthews is still the right answer. If Hughes as a rookie is more or less as good as Matthews that year, how many people would take Matthews?

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Habs fan going with Matthews , the guy is younger and on another level offensively but also a great 200 foot player already and still got years to improve. Matthews quite easily , if Matthews was on any other team he’d be the clear cut number 1 hfboards choice. Hfboards full blown against the leafs ... it’s ok I hate the leafs too but cmonnnn

This from a Habs fan, I'm humbled and in aw! Kudos to me my friend. :thumbu:

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
Matthews needs to show up big time to pass Barkov imo.

Also Seguin - Barkov down the middle would be unreal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
yes, I said they were close in my post. Matthews is still the right answer. If Hughes as a rookie is more or less as good as Matthews that year, how many people would take Matthews?

I thought you felt Matthews was the 2nd best young player after McDavid? Is Barkov 2B after McDavid?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Barkov is the hf darling lmao
Like Aho in Carolina and OEL in Phoenix.

Small-market HFBoards darlings are always the ones that have this weird mysticism surrounding them. People are unable to see them for the players they actually are.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I always hate these polls where you are not supposed to take the contract in the discussion. Fine, we might as well talk about them in the point when they are coming into the league. At that point, it's Matthews. However, when you consider that Matthews will probably get a huge contract compared to Barkov (and rightfully so), then it's again, a different discussion.

I don't really want to answer, they are both elite #1 centers. Matthews is better offensively, Barkov better defensively. Take your pick.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Matthews if he isn't already will be the better player. Barkov at 5.9m and Matthew a 11m next year ... who is better value could be seriously debated.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Like Aho in Carolina and OEL in Phoenix.

Small-market HFBoards darlings are always the ones that have this weird mysticism surrounding them. People are unable to see them for the players they actually are.
I remember some people on here bashed the Leafs for passing on Aho since they took Travis Dermott just 1 pick ahead of him in the 2nd round of the draft in 2015.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I thought you got annoyed when I respond to you without addressing 100% of your arguments, yet here you are addressing none of mine
Your first mistake is expecting consistent and reasonable logic. You're in an *insert small market hfboards darling here* vs Matthews thread, those things do not exist in here.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
There is no reason Matthews is currently better than Barkov, maybe in future. Currently similar offense and other one is way better defensive side. Matthews can prove me wrong this year though but I doubt it. The question was qurrently, not in the future.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There is no reason Matthews is currently better than Barkov, maybe in future. Currently similar offense and other one is way better defensive side. Matthews can prove me wrong this year though but I doubt it. The question was qurrently, not in the future.

Being better at everything makes him better than Barkov. The legend of Barkov's mythical defensive play continues. Maybe he needs Tavares to take him to school in another playoff series to put this nonsense to rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad