Barkov or Matthews?

Barkov or Matthews?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh come on stop that biased defending. It makes you look insecure. Admit that Barkov is known for his shootouts and is considered to be one of the best in the league. It doesn't take away the fact that Matthews is better goal scorer.
Barkov's shootout moves are good if he is able to score. While Matthews shootout moves might not be as great to see, he has proved to be just as reliable the way he can get his shot off during that situation.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Barkov's shootout moves are good if he is able to score. While Matthews shootout moves might not be as great to see, he has proved to be just as reliable the way he can get his shot off during that situation.
Career shootout goals

Barkov 19/36 (52,3%)
Matthews 5/14 (35,1%)

Barkov's shootout goals are flashy and they GO IN. It's not even "if they go in" while Matthews' not so great moves aren't going in with same success.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
This went as expected lol.

They are pretty much the same tier of player imo. Each team is very happy to either player. I'm glad the Panthers have Barkov. And the Leafs are glad they have Matthews. Both great players, and the only young centre I take over either of them is McDavid.

Reactions: drktmplr12

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ahh yes the comparison between a player in their D+6 year vs another in their d+3 year lmao...

Lets compare their first 2 years in the league since we don't know how Matthews will produce the next few years.

AB: 0.48ppg
AM: 0.92ppg

AM is no slouch defensively either and could very well be in Selke consideration at some point in his career as others have touched on.
Good thing the poll is about right now.

I didn’t see it being labeled “who has the better 2 years between these players”

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You could go either way here right now, but why not take the one who has more potential? This same poll at the end of the season will be in favour of Matthews barring injury.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Goal scoring: Matthews
Playmaking: Barkov
Powerplay: Even
PK: Barkov
Defence: Barkov
Contract: Barkov

I mean Matthews is a bulldozer with a puck and scores tons of goals. But somehow I still think that I would pick Sasha.

Playmaking: Barkov >= Matthews
Goal scoring: Barkov << Matthews
Powerplay: Barkov < Matthews
5 on 5 play: Barkov > Matthews
PK: Barkov >> Matthews
Defence: Barkov >> Matthews

Barkov and Matthews is in same group of young C’s behind Mcdavid with MacKinnon. Barkov is better overall player but Matthews is much better than Barkov in goal scoring which is hardest to do in NHL and he is younger. Matthews is no slouch defensively but Barkov is much better.

I think Matthews is more talented player by slight margin because he is elite goal scorer. They are different type of players and both are among the best young players. There is not bad choice between the two.

Reactions: Tuntrui

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Could be. Or could not. Development isn't linear.
yeah, but this argument is still so annoying, no offense. Yeah we don't know that Matthews will continue to progress at a constant rate, but it's still a very safe bet that he'll get better. that's what happens when players get more experienced and develop their skills and get stronger. it's like saying that you can't say for sure that a guy who gets 49 points in 40 games is a 50 point caliber player, because he might have gone pointless in those other 42 games. Technically true, but we have a pretty good idea. When the players are close (and they are) it only makes sense to pick the guy who is 3 years behind developmentally. it's no guarantee he'll take big leaps every year, but there's no reason to think it's likely he won't improve as he catches up

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Barkov is better today, but 2 years older. I take Matthews by a smidge, but contracts included i take Barkov.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Mathews is the better skater, goal scorer and has a better touch around the net. Barkov is better in pretty much every other category.
Matthews is much better offensively through the first 2 years of their careers lmao, Offensively it's Matthews, the only reason it's close is because Barkov is in his D+6 and Matthews is in his d+3

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
This is very good poll, indeed.

How this all would look like if Matthews would be playing for Panthers and Barkov for Leafs?

Uh. Barkov would already be Selke-winner, I assume. Imagine Toronto media drumming for his benefit.

I go with Barkov for now, but that can be changed very soon. Choosing Barkov also for better familiarity to me, and due nationality (that both are actually off-hockey reasons).

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Barkov is elite , but here i go with A.M and its not close, hes something extra, seems to be even faster this year and has a snipe almost in Laine class!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barkov is the better playmaker and defensive player.

Matthews the better goal scorer.

Barkov is also going to be paid roughly 6M less per year than Matthews.

Taking contracts into account. The choice is Barkov.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Good thing the poll is about right now.

I didn’t see it being labeled “who has the better 2 years between these players”

When you're comparing the development between 2 players, it's not exactly a fair poll when one player has 3 extra years of development on the other player. I would expect that to go over your head tho. Regardless, last 2 seasons then:

AB (d+4, d+5): 0.93ppg
AM: (d+1, d+2): 0.92ppg

Offensively Barkov has reached in his 4th and 5th year what AM has produced in his first 2 years, and this is with significantly more ice time in the process as well.

Want My Dach x 77

Sep 2, 2010
vancouver, bc
Habs fan going with Matthews , the guy is younger and on another level offensively but also a great 200 foot player already and still got years to improve. Matthews quite easily , if Matthews was on any other team he’d be the clear cut number 1 hfboards choice. Hfboards full blown against the leafs ... it’s ok I hate the leafs too but cmonnnn

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
yeah, but this argument is still so annoying, no offense. Yeah we don't know that Matthews will continue to progress at a constant rate, but it's still a very safe bet that he'll get better. that's what happens when players get more experienced and develop their skills and get stronger. it's like saying that you can't say for sure that a guy who gets 49 points in 40 games is a 50 point caliber player, because he might have gone pointless in those other 42 games. Technically true, but we have a pretty good idea. When the players are close (and they are) it only makes sense to pick the guy who is 3 years behind developmentally. it's no guarantee he'll take big leaps every year, but there's no reason to think it's likely he won't improve as he catches up

Developmental years only seem to be an issue if you're comparing two players who are on par with one another. If Matthews is vastly superior to Barkov, then Barkov's extra years of development should have no impact.

Ex: who is better today: John Tavares or Connor McDavid. Not a single Oiler fan has to say, "But, but ... it's not fair because Tavares has had more years of development" because it's clear who the better player is.

So essentially, I guess that means you agree that it's very, very close between Barkov and Matthews, then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->