Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-Sign Zadorov to 1-Year 3.2M Contract

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Pretty sensible deal all things considered.

With so many young defenseman on the roster this buys time for Sakic to evaluate everyone and decide what the best way to build the Top 6 long-term will be. From Zadorov's perspective, he gets to prove that he's worth a bigger long-term deal than what he's being offered right now (whether that deal is with us or not).

Girard and Zadorov both being up for renewal at the same time is really interesting. Sakic has basically set himself up to choose which of the two he wants to bet on financially as the teams long-term 2LD (assuming that Byram will be a legit 1LD).

Timmins, Meloche, and/or Rosén may also emerge as legitimate Top 6 defensemen this season, which would make Zadorov more expendable if he's going to command big money as a 3rd pairing defenseman going forwards.

Long-term the D shapes up something like below (if Timmins is healthy):

Byram - Makar
Girard - Timmins/Meloche
Zadorov - Johnson/Hellesson
Rosén​

Sinking $4m+ into a 3rd pairing D long-term would be a lot (particularly with Johnson declining at $6m), but with numerous players coming in on ELC's the next few years (i.e. Byram, Makar, Timmins, Kaut, Bowers, Newhook, Kovalenko, etc) perhaps it is something that can be managed. The fact that our 1C and 2C are signed for $10.8m for the next 3 seasons also helps make that an option.

As for the capspace situation now,
  • Current Capspace: $23.95m
  • Projected RFA signings (Total: $19.25m)
    • Rantanen - $10m
    • Compher - $3m
    • Burakovsky - $3.25m
    • Graves - $1m
    • Kamenev - $1m
    • Greer - $1m
  • Cap space left: $4.7m
    • Note: Makar has $2.5m in performance bonuses that may count against this too (making the capspace effectively $2.7m)
That ~$4.7m capspace will probably swell a little bit again once the situation on D clears up a bit after camp. We have a lot of depth defenseman and one would think at least two contracts out of Barberio/Connauton/Graves/Rosén will be buried in the AHL or claimed on waivers, freeing up another ~$2m towards the cap.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Good deal.
Yeah I'm not sure Z is in the Avs' long-term plan. I think that's why they went and got Rosen as insurance. Sign Z for one year and see how Rosen does this year as a call-up. In 20-21 we might very well have Byram-Girard-Rosen on the left side.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Should be a steal for the Avs at 3.2. Sakic might regret not shelling out term and dollars on this one...

Hell ceci got 4.5....id rather Z

Reactions: Richard88

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Zadorov obviously wants a big pay day. Why can't players be more like Hejduk, who negotiated himself down to stay on his favorite team? Would've preferred a higher AAV and term instead of having to give Z $5-6 million down the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Girard and Zadorov both being up for renewal at the same time is really interesting. Sakic has basically set himself up to choose which of the two he wants to bet on financially as the teams long-term 2LD (assuming that Byram will be a legit 1LD).

That decision there has long been decided... basically since a 20 year old surpassed the 23 year old on the depth chart. Girard will get a long-term deal as soon as Sakic can get him to agree to it.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Pretty sensible deal all things considered.

With so many young defenseman on the roster this buys time for Sakic to evaluate everyone and decide what the best way to build the Top 6 long-term will be. From Zadorov's perspective, he gets to prove that he's worth a bigger long-term deal than what he's being offered right now (whether that deal is with us or not).

Timmins, Meloche, and/or Rosén may also emerge as legitimate Top 6 defensemen this season, which would make Zadorov more expendable if he's going to command big money as a 3rd pairing defenseman going forwards.

Long-term the D shapes up something like below (if Timmins is healthy):

Byram - Makar
Girard - Timmins/Meloche
Zadorov - Johnson/Hellesson
Rosén​

Sinking $4m+ into a 3rd pairing D long-term would be a lot (particularly with Johnson declining at $6m), but with numerous players coming in on on ELC's the next few years (i.e. Byram, Makar, Timmins, Kaut, Bowers, Newhook, Kovalenko, etc) perhaps it is something that can be managed. The fact that our 1C and 2C are signed for $10.8m for the next 3 seasons also helps make that an option.

As for the capspace situation now,
  • Current Capspace: $23.95m
  • Projected RFA signings (Total: $19.25m)
    • Rantanen - $10m
    • Compher - $3m
    • Burakovsky - $3.25m
    • Graves - $1m
    • Kamenev - $1m
    • Greer - $1m
  • Cap space left: $4.7m
    • Note: Makar has $2.5m in performance bonuses that may count against this too (making the capspace effectively $2.7m)
That ~$4.7m capspace will probably swell a little bit again once the situation on D clears up a bit after camp. We have a lot of depth defenseman and one would think at least two contracts out of Barberio/Connauton/Graves/Rosén will be buried in the AHL or claimed on waivers, freeing up another ~$2m towards the cap.

Very appreciated post !

I think that with the emergence of very young talent at D, we really need Z as a corner stone to help them grow up.

As much I was sad to see Barrie leave, it was necessary to get a much balanced lineup, and I can live with that of course. But I would see it as a big mistake to let Z walk away or beeing traded, I think we cannot afford that on the next 3 years.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Huge fan of this deal. Z is essentially taking the initiative here to go out and prove himself worth of a long term contract. He's also showing that he wants to be in Denver by taking this deal and signing it right now instead of going through a length process.

I dont think Z gets his long term deal with us and if anything I think Z is no longer an Avs player in 365 days from now... but a highly motivated Z going into the 2019/20 season could be a great thing for us. If he really does have a strong year and solidified himself as a legit Top 4 guy and an RFA next summer... Well that's a great trade chip for us to move out for help somewhere else.

But with Girard and Byram on the Left side, Makar on the Right side... I really dont see a future for Z on this team long term.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Huge fan of this deal. Z is essentially taking the initiative here to go out and prove himself worth of a long term contract. He's also showing that he wants to be in Denver by taking this deal and signing it right now instead of going through a length process.

I dont think Z gets his long term deal with us and if anything I think Z is no longer an Avs player in 365 days from now... but a highly motivated Z going into the 2019/20 season could be a great thing for us. If he really does have a strong year and solidified himself as a legit Top 4 guy and an RFA next summer... Well that's a great trade chip for us to move out for help somewhere else.

But with Girard and Byram on the Left side, Makar on the Right side... I really dont see a future for Z on this team long term.

He should have a long term contract with the Avs, but on a third pairing, and he’s already being paid like a second. But with the young guns, we really need him on the club for many more years. Not an easy situation really.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
If he want the big money, he gotta crank it up. 6 fewer points than the year previous, and zero points in 12 playoff games isn't gonna cut it.

Reactions: klozge

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He should have a long term contract with the Avs, but on a third pairing, and he’s already being paid like a second. But with the young guns, we really need him on the club for many more years. Not an easy situation really.

He's also one of the most unique players in the game with his size and physicality. I don't understand why some people here wouldn't want him on a long term deal. Its not like Byram/Girard can't switch sides just because they are LH shots.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Zadorov obviously wants a big pay day. Why can't players be more like Hejduk, who negotiated himself down to stay on his favorite team? Would've preferred a higher AAV and term instead of having to give Z $5-6 million down the line.
I don't think he'll ever be a 5-6M player unless he breaks out offensively. With Girard, Makar and Byram on the way I don't think that'll ever happen.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't think he'll ever be a 5-6M player unless he breaks out offensively. With Girard, Makar and Byram on the way I don't think that'll ever happen.

I think he can get ten more points next season. And that ten points plus his size will get him high 4, maybe 5 million.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
Love Z, super happy that he's back. I'm a bit nervous that he thinks he will need to put up points for more money in the future and get away from his game.

Also not surprised its short term. I don't think the Avs will want to pay their 3LD as much as Z will want long term, although it might not an issue while Byram is on his ELC.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad