Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-Sign Zadorov to 1-Year 3.2M Contract

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I don't get the folks saying he needs to score more points for a better contract. Yeah points are great but that's not his role. Adam foote didn't spend much time on the pp either. I know he has moments that make one scratch their head but he had so many plus things going on. Hits aside, he completely changes the attitude of the team. I wish we could lock him up for 4-5 years. Not sure what Cole's salary is and I'm not gonna even look, but I take z 100 times over him or EJ. Hell I'd even say Girard too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Zadorov accrued seasons is 14-15, 16-17, 17-18, and 18-19. That's 4 seasons plus his current contract would be 5. So after his contract is up it should be 2 not 3.

My B, I misread your initial post as just "RFA seasons left" and missed the "after this contract" bit. His signing age was 18 and twice he didn't accrue seasons, so he can't accrue 7 seasons before he turns 27 in 2022. Leaving him a UFA two years after this contract, and three years from now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't get the folks saying he needs to score more points for a better contract. Yeah points are great but that's not his role. Adam foote didn't spend much time on the pp either. I know he has moments that make one scratch their head but he had so many plus things going on. Hits aside, he completely changes the attitude of the team. I wish we could lock him up for 4-5 years. Not sure what Cole's salary is and I'm not gonna even look, but I take z 100 times over him or EJ. Hell I'd even say Girard too.

It's because of the way the NHL pays players. There just isn't a precedent for someone who can't move the puck / produce offense getting a >5per deal with term that turned out well, those always turn into albatrosses like Bogosian...plus the game is moving away from one-dimensional blueliners like Hatcher, which is further suppressing the demand for those guys.

If the choice was keep Zads and dump Cole/EJ or keep Cole/EJ & move Zads for value, that would be easy for me. But Joe isn't going to move EJ and I dunno if he'll move a respected vet that signed with them in FA like Cole. So the choice we're actually looking at is keeping zads, shifting Girard, Zads or Byram to the right side, and eventually getting stuck with a 10M dollar third pairing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Points are what get you paid. Simple as that.

How many Dmen in the league that struggle to get even 20 points are making more than ~3M a season, or are signed for longer term deals?

The answer is very, very few. If you want big money or a long term deal you have to at least be a ~25 point guy in the back end. Zadorov is a 15 point guy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Theres a couple dmen making more than that. Stralman just signed for 5.5M as essentially a 20 point guys. But even he has a history of chipping in ~25-30 and had 17 in 48 games last season. Another is Hjalmarsson making 5M for essentially 15-20 point production. But he is also very, very strong defensively and still only got a 2 year deal.

Unless Zadorov can hit 20-25 points next season the best he can really hope for is a 3-4 year, 3.5-4M deal and even that's probably not a great contract to be giving out.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
Z's been one of my favorite players on the team since he arrived and I still have no idea how to evaluate him. Very good at forcing dump-ins and preventing zone entries, horrid crease-clearer. Strong breakout pass, save for 1-2 major brain farts a game. <20 points, yet shows real offensive instincts when given more rope. Ultimately his on-ice play is that of a #5 at best, but he has that plus-value of being able to change the complexion of a game in your favor with these ridonk hits. How much is that worth again?

I could see this one going both ways. I felt Z regressed last year and that another year of that will see him getting nacho duty with some other team. I could also see him clean up the most jarring shortcomings of his game and force himself into a >4.5 million contract. He didn't show he is worth committing to for longer than this one year contract.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I simply love his physical presence and play and he is great at delivering hits when on his game, one of the best in the entire NHL. For me this is something I value highly but obviously not the market (focusing more on points). He for sure have offensive talent but he will have to take the next step, perhaps focusing more on his offense and less on his headhunting and crushing hits.

Only negative thing for me with Zadorov is being a bit weak mentally and losing his head sometimes but I feel he improved last leason, better self control. It's ok with some aggression and getting under the skin type of play but sometimes his timing has been awful. ;-)

For me it is a big, big mistake not offering Zadorov a decent long term contract but luckily (surprisingly) he accepted this 1 year contract. For balancing a team I think a player like Zadorov is needed.

I'm a bit concerned about this and most probably he isn't one of Sakic's prioritized players, especially not now with all the new talent coming in. Less stupid penalties and > 20 points then he is in I guess/wish. Hmmm, Sakic only winning the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy one year (2001)???

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A 1 year deal also gives the Avs more flexibility next summer. Let’s say a guy like Hall wants to come on board and the young guys on the back end like Makar, Byram, Girard and Timmins all take a step forward. It makes the decision to move on from Z a lot easier.

Reactions: Richard88

TatteredTornNFrayed

ocelot spleens, ...
Jan 15, 2008
But with Girard and Byram on the Left side, Makar on the Right side... I really dont see a future for Z on this team long term.

Im afraid you might be right.

Which is unfortunate, because I think he brings something to this team that none of the other defenders above him, and perhaps no one else on the roster brings.

Reactions: Hornstar

TatteredTornNFrayed

ocelot spleens, ...
Jan 15, 2008
Zadorov 's contributions are about so much more than points. And that is from someone who was never thrilled with having to carry enforcers or skill-less grit guys.

Z brings all of that plus some not perfect, but very solid D and O.

But yeah, the fear is he becomes too hard to keep on a bottom line, and our top-4 might be hard to crack in a few more years.

Reactions: 21

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
Theres a couple dmen making more than that. Stralman just signed for 5.5M as essentially a 20 point guys. But even he has a history of chipping in ~25-30 and had 17 in 48 games last season. Another is Hjalmarsson making 5M for essentially 15-20 point production. But he is also very, very strong defensively and still only got a 2 year deal.

Unless Zadorov can hit 20-25 points next season the best he can really hope for is a 3-4 year, 3.5-4M deal and even that's probably not a great contract to be giving out.
So if big Z was from Sweden he would make more money....

Reactions: 21

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I agree with other things that have been said. Z is way more than a points guy. Our team plays differently when he is in the lineup, and so do the teams we are playing. He may not be the best, but he is in everyone's head, opposition players are second guessing and looking over their shoulder when he is on the ice. Our record with and without him last year, if I remember correctly, showed our win rate was much better with him present. He also seems like a great locker room dude. And with the loss of Barrie we need to keep as much personality around. The day we lose Z is the day I sad panda, the kid is great.

Reactions: Hornstar and 21

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
One of my favorite players.

1. Loved by his team mates
2. Intimidates the opposition
3. Young and developing
4. Ads character to the team

Sakic is waiting to see if Zadorov develops and can consistently be a top 4 dman. If he keeps progressing he will get paid next year.

Girard - Makar
Zadorov - Byram

That's about as good a top 4 as it gets.

Mix in EJ, Cole and Timmins for the last 2 spots and we are set for years to come.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
You are not getting paid based on how good you handle your particular role. You get paid for doing things that are hard to replace, especially scoring.

I was really high on Zadorov a few years ago, but he hasn't developed much at all. He has some tools that is good for offense and also all the tools to be a STUD defensively, but.. He just isn't there. But he is solid two way defenseman that doesn't stand out in any way, except for hitting, that you can debate on how much impact they have on the outcome of the game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So if big Z was from Sweden he would make more money....

If Zads was on top of his game all the time, he'd make a lot more money; even without re-discovering his offense. At his best zads can be dominant defensively outside of 1-3 brainfarts, but that's not the Zads we get every night...especially early in the season.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
If Zads was on top of his game all the time, he'd make a lot more money; even without re-discovering his offense. At his best zads can be dominant defensively outside of 1-3 brainfarts, but that's not the Zads we get every night...especially early in the season.
I know. But both of pierces exampel where D from Sweden....

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I was in the points camp until I googled Footes stats. I like Z even more now. Keep doing what hes been doing.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Comparison Dashboard(3).png

Using fancy stats on a stay-at-home type of guy is kinda tricky, they don't usually score very well. I used Ekblad as a comparable just to show how Z stacks up against a guy who is considered a top-pairing franchise defenseman. He actually puts up very similar numbers to Nikita Zaitsev, who also isn't a bad defenseman, but not one you sign for the ridiculous amount of term that he did.

I think we've seen all we're going to see from his game. He's a competent defender who's best serve on the middle or third pairing, isn't great at moving the puck, but isn't terrible either, decent shooting ability, and brings a strong physical presence. Also, for a big guy, he skates quite well. I'd be fine with a 2-3 year deal but methinks this is likely the last season #16 plays in an Avs uniform.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think we've seen all we're going to see from his game. He's a competent defender who's best serve on the middle or third pairing, isn't great at moving the puck, but isn't terrible either, decent shooting ability, and brings a strong physical presence. Also, for a big guy, he skates quite well. I'd be fine with a 2-3 year deal but methinks this is likely the last season #16 plays in an Avs uniform.

What tells you this? He's still RFA. I hope they keep him. Fancy stats be damned, his presence is absolutely needed.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What tells you this? He's still RFA. I hope they keep him. Fancy stats be damned, his presence is absolutely needed.

Doesn't matter if he is or not, if they can't come to a deal, then they're at an impasse. He doesn't have to stay in the NHL if he has more lucrative offers elsewhere, but I imagine the Avs will trade him before it comes to that.

I'd like him to stay but as others have said, there's a limit to how much you should invest in a player of this type. AAV doesn't bother me so much, it'd be the term I'd be very concerned about.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Did anyone see the pathetic twitter storm that started because someone managing the Avs twitter account referred to him as "Big Z"?

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->