Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-Sign Zadorov to 1-Year 3.2M Contract

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just want to see Z beat the **** out of everyone

Best case is he signs long term with the Avs, second best case he gets picked by Seattle and destroys Vancouver and Calgary every night finally turning into Chara.

I wouldn't mind having a Z gamer for both the Avs and Seattle.

Reactions: Hornstar

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think he can get ten more points next season. And that ten points plus his size will get him high 4, maybe 5 million.
If he plays mainly on the 3rd pairing it might help him points-wise that our bottom 6 forward group is a little bit stronger. The additions of Burakovsky/Kadri/Donskoi (albeit at the loss of Soderberg/Kerfoot) effectively knocks one of Wilson/Jost/Compher and Nieto/Calvert down to roles they should be playing. Upgrading the 2nd line with Kadri also suggests that Zadorov would have a better chance at picking up more points 5v5.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
You're going to develop split personality disorder being both a Seattle and Vancouver fan lol. At least as an Avs fan it just feeds my hate and love for that future rivalry.

I'm use to it as a Red Sox and Yankees fan

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm use to it as a Red Sox and Yankees fan

giphy5667.gif

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I wish they’d just sign him to term. I’m sure it’s difficult to peg his value, but we keep going down this path, we’re going to lose him.

Reactions: Hornstar

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I wish they’d just sign him to term. I’m sure it’s difficult to peg his value, but we keep going down this path, we’re going to lose him.
He still has 3 more years of RFA after this season so there really isn't much urgency. Better to take a short-term deal and evaluate some more rather than ending up with an contract that's awkward down the line.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
He still has 3 more years of RFA after this season so there really isn't much urgency. Better to take a short-term deal and evaluate some more rather than ending up with an contract that's awkward down the line.
I'm pretty sure he only has 1 more season of RFA status after this contract.

Edit: Actually I think it might be 2.

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Love the price, just wish it for longer. Soon as Avs lose this guy, they will turn into powder cakes real fast. Regardless if he puts up a ton of points or not. I'd ship out everyone barring Makar, Byram and Girard before this guy.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Love the price, just wish it for longer. Soon as Avs lose this guy, they will turn into powder cakes real fast. Regardless if he puts up a ton of points or not. I'd ship out everyone barring Makar, Byram and Girard before this guy.

Agreed. I still think he should be part of the D core, move Girard to play the right side.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I am surprised/confused... guessing Zadarov could most probably get a better (or a longer term) contract somewhere else but obviously he likes Colorado and want to prove himself?

Zadarov is currently underrated on the market, that's for sure (which is confusing for me but good for the Avs). Not sure if it is him sometimes being a hot-head including his stupid penalties affecting his market value in a negative way?

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
So, now we have Zadorov, Girard, and Jost up for contracts next season. We’ll need to save our pennies.
We'll have around $5-7m in capspace going into this season.

On top of that there'll be $12.6m opened up next summer too:
  • $4.25m coming off the books for retentions/buy outs
    • Barrie $2.75m
    • Orpik $1.5m
  • $8.35m from expiring contracts
    • Wilson $2.6m
    • Nieto $1.975m
    • Barberio $1.45m
    • Connauton $1.375m
    • Francouz $950k
So all else being equal, that's around $18 - 20m to play with next summer.

Granted, some of the players listed above need to be replaced or resigned so their cap hits won't entirely go towards capspace for Girard/Zadorov/Jost, but there's a good chance we'll see a few additional ELC's (eg. Kaut, Bowers, Kovalenko, Newhook, Timmins, Byram, Werner, etc) that allow for a portion of the capspace from Wilson/Nieto/etc to go towards resigning Girard/Zadorov/Jost.

If you want to go a step further Zadorov's $3.2m might also come off the books if he's deemed surplus - which there's a big probability for given that Byram/Girard will likely emerge as the top 2 LD's going forward.

Point being, the outlook for our capspace is extremely good, and there should easily be enough room to resign key players next season without going into extreme 'penny saving' mode.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
One thing about Z signing for just 1 year is it gives us a touch more flexibility to take on a 1 year cap dump if Joe really wanted to be savvy this summer.

I was expecting Zads to get more like 3.75M honestly so that's an extra 0.55M to work with. If we assume Rantanen gets 9, JTC gets 3, and Burakovsky 3.5.... that's 15.5M and leaves us with 8.45M in space right now.

That's enough to easily take on a Callahan or Clarkson contract for next season.

Something like Callahan + TBL 1st for TOR 3rd for example.

Reactions: Richard88

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
One thing about Z signing for just 1 year is it gives us a touch more flexibility to take on a 1 year cap dump if Joe really wanted to be savvy this summer.

I was expecting Zads to get more like 3.75M honestly so that's an extra 0.55M to work with. If we assume Rantanen gets 9, JTC gets 3, and Burakovsky 3.5.... that's 15.5M and leaves us with 8.45M in space right now.

That's enough to easily take on a Callahan or Clarkson contract for next season.

The no longer playing due to medical reasons Callahan?

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

The Clarkson contract would be ideal if the Avs are interested in doing such a thing. His signing bonus is already paid and he's only due $1m in salary. Personally I'd rather have the cap flexibility in case Grubauer or any of the young defensemen struggle. On top of that Jost or Makar could earn bonuses this season and if the Avs are up against the cap they would have to carry that over into next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad