Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-Sign Zadorov to 1-Year 3.2M Contract

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Doesn't matter if he is or not, if they can't come to a deal, then they're at an impasse. He doesn't have to stay in the NHL if he has more lucrative offers elsewhere, but I imagine the Avs will trade him before it comes to that.

I'd like him to stay but as others have said, there's a limit to how much you should invest in a player of this type. AAV doesn't bother me so much, it'd be the term I'd be very concerned about.

At worst it would be a mini-RoR situation. There's no way in hell he is traded until that shiny new RFA deal is signed. If it's overpriced, if there is bad blood, or if he signs a small offersheet, he may get traded then and only then. Or, he bolts to another league, but I doubt he does that.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Sakic is waiting to see if Zadorov develops and can consistently be a top 4 dman. If he keeps progressing he will get paid next year.

Girard - Makar
Zadorov - Byram

That's about as good a top 4 as it gets.

Mix in EJ, Cole and Timmins for the last 2 spots and we are set for years to come.

Love it. We've gone from needing this to be better to being the envy of the league. Graves is hugely under rated as well. So, too is Timmins (if he can get healthy).

Reactions: Pokecheque

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Any possibility he accepted a 1 year deal on condition of getting some secondary PP time?

If he needs to prove himself to get big $, he needs at least sone opportunity, right?

Would Sakic do such a thing?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Z won’t be getting any PP time unless multiple people go down, but with Cole out for two months (and I anticipate it will be a rough year for him) and EJ questionable to start, I would anticipate he plays a lot immediately.

Reactions: Foppberg

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Any possibility he accepted a 1 year deal on condition of getting some secondary PP time?

If he needs to prove himself to get big $, he needs at least sone opportunity, right?

Would Sakic do such a thing?
Unlikely. Bednar is the one who sets up the PP, and between Makar, Girard, and maybe Byram, there isn't any room for him on the PP as long as he's here.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Points are what get you paid. Simple as that.

How many Dmen in the league that struggle to get even 20 points are making more than ~3M a season, or are signed for longer term deals?

The answer is very, very few. If you want big money or a long term deal you have to at least be a ~25 point guy in the back end. Zadorov is a 15 point guy.
Actually there's quite a few. Let's take vlasic. He is a true stay at home kind of defenseman. Isn't called upon to score much. Yet gets paid a whopping 7 million. That's over 1 million dollars per goal. So why is he so highly overpaid?? The only thing I can think of is that he adds another element to the sharks that doesn't always show on the scoreboard. Z does that as well and he is worth 3 million dollars minimum.
I just hope sakic isn't so blinded that he won't buy EJ out in another year or two. That's three guy that needs moved

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Actually there's quite a few. Let's take vlasic. He is a true stay at home kind of defenseman. Isn't called upon to score much. Yet gets paid a whopping 7 million. That's over 1 million dollars per goal. So why is he so highly overpaid?? The only thing I can think of is that he adds another element to the sharks that doesn't always show on the scoreboard. Z does that as well and he is worth 3 million dollars minimum.
I just hope sakic isn't so blinded that he won't buy EJ out in another year or two. That's three guy that needs moved

Pickles put up 39 points in 70 games the year before signing that 7 million dollar deal and is an absolutely elite defensive player. Love him to death, but Zads simply isn't even close to being the same caliber of shutdown guy as MEV, Hammer, etc.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Pickles put up 39 points in 70 games the year before signing that 7 million dollar deal and is an absolutely elite defensive player. Love him to death, but Zads simply isn't even close to being the same caliber of shutdown guy as MEV, Hammer, etc.
Yeah he had 8 goals on the year. That's my point, he wasn't paid that 7 plus million dollar contract for projected goals. He's a defenseman that does just that. I wasnt comparing the players. I was making a point that not all defenseman need to score like Tyson Barrie to have value.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah he had 8 goals on the year. That's my point, he wasn't paid that 7 plus million dollar contract for projected goals. He's a defenseman that does just that. I wasnt comparing the players. I was making a point that not all defenseman need to score like Tyson Barrie to have value.

But Vlasic has massive value because he's an elite defender, not just because he's a stay at home guy. Cole is a stay at home guy to, but he doesn't have massive value, ya know?

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
But Vlasic has massive value because he's an elite defender, not just because he's a stay at home guy. Cole is a stay at home guy to, but he doesn't have massive value, ya know?
But but I thought unless a defenseman scored 20 goals a season he's not worth having. ;)

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I bet that one Scheifele hit the other year generated additional revenue equivalent to his salary - from Zadorov merchandise sales, beer sales that night, encouraging more fans to come down to Pepsi Center to watch games. I wish he was locked up for 4 years.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kind of hilarious that if we went back to the start of the season where Z was in the doghouse and not happy, you'd think he would've been long gone before Barrie. Yet he's still here and Barrie is gone...weird.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Sorry if a little late to the party .

Who is Zadorov agent ? From the outside looking in it seems that every contract negociation with the Avs are an adventure.

This year it's only a one year contract . The prvious negociation there was a rumour that would leave for the KHL if he didnt get what he wanted. Am i crazy to think that it's always difficult and wondering why ?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Sorry if a little late to the party .

Who is Zadorov agent ? From the outside looking in it seems that every contract negociation with the Avs are an adventure.

This year it's only a one year contract . The prvious negociation there was a rumour that would leave for the KHL if he didnt get what he wanted. Am i crazy to think that it's always difficult and wondering why ?

Daniel Milstein - Wikipedia

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Late to the game on this one, but I'm totally OK with this. If Zadorov wants to prove himself for a year, fine. He's still RFA next offseason. I actually like the attitude (if that's what took place).

Quick question: Is Zadorov eligible for UFA after the 20-2021 season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad