Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-Sign Zadorov to 1-Year 3.2M Contract

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Fair point but imo it will end up fair. We shouldnt have any cap issues for a couple years. Not with the great contracts of mack and kadri. Idk if cole finishes out his contract with us. He should be easy enough to deal if we decided to go that route. Ej will end up a bad deal unfortunately. Think he ends up getting bought out. Also its a matter of if you think/want z here long term. This deal will prob be 3-3.5 per. Id imagine he would get a little bit of a raise next year so on and so forth as long as its one year deals. If zadorov doesnt improve at all, he would prob be overpaid by 1-1.5 mill a hear which isnt horrendous and could still be moved

Z definitely could out live them, but he's destined to the bottom pair long-term. He's already been surpassed by Girard. Even the lowest people on Byram say he'll be a top 4 guy (really outside the outliers, #2D is usually where low people have him). EJ isn't going anywhere until the expansion draft at the earliest, if that is even an issue. With that in mind, you shouldn't knowingly pay a bottom pairing guy $5m per season. Just a crazy thing to do.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Z definitely could out live them, but he's destined to the bottom pair long-term. He's already been surpassed by Girard. Even the lowest people on Byram say he'll be a top 4 guy (really outside the outliers, #2D is usually where low people have him). EJ isn't going anywhere until the expansion draft at the earliest, if that is even an issue. With that in mind, you shouldn't knowingly pay a bottom pairing guy $5m per season. Just a crazy thing to do.

Is bednar a left-right zealot on the blueline? Cause I kinda picture Zads with Cale and Byram with Samwise as our top 4 next season...assuming Joe doesn't go out and get an EJ upgrade and none of our prospects blow the doors down.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
$3.2m for 1 year.

Fair.

Avs weren’t ready to commit long-term yet as there are still consistency questions. Z likely wouldn’t take a long-term deal at the number he has “earned” so far.

Another 1 year prove it deal before we do this again a year from now. Could cost us more, but we will know for sure where we stand. With the Barrie and Nemeth departures, along with the EJ/Cole injuries, it’s time for him to step up and take the reigns.

Go get ‘em, Z.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
God I love Z. He has his shortcomings but he's just such a likeable guy. Really hope he can stick on the team awhile but I will cheer for him and smashing people until he retires regardless. Could be a Seattle target for sure.

Unless he’s smashing an Av while wearing an enemy sweater.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think it has to amount to 7 full years, but I could be wrong, and remember he was also demoted a couple times in both Buffalo and Colorado, so I'm not sure those stints count toward his total. In any event, he's still RFA after this season.

Nice. I have 0 issues with this contract then. Glad to have big Z back.

Sakic has a lot of RFA contracts to sort out this year, so he’s probably just pushing this one back a year, and he’ll have a better idea of what our cap looks like then.

3.2 is good value and gives a nice starting framework for next season.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I would have preferred some term. 5 years is too much, but I would have hoped for like 3 or so as a compromise. Still though, that's a nice quick end to what could have been a protracted negotiation, and it means we get at least one more year of Big Z and his wonderful personality.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Z didn't accrue seasons in 13-14 or 15-16, so his 7th season will be year he turns 27... so 2022 (provided he continues to get qualified as he should) is his first UFA eligible season.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Definitely a show me contract for Z. I think he'll deliver big time too. Just has to avoid a slow start again. I know the new trend in the NHL are high skill speedy defenseman, but come playoff time I think these guys are a must have. Didn't we also have a very low amount of goals scored while he was on the ice?

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Is bednar a left-right zealot on the blueline? Cause I kinda picture Zads with Cale and Byram with Samwise as our top 4 next season...assuming Joe doesn't go out and get an EJ upgrade and none of our prospects blow the doors down.

Doesn't seem like it, though he's had the luxury of having two top-four (at the time) RHD, so he used them as such. He had Z play a lot on the right side with Nemeth IIRC.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

I would be a little surprised if we do not see the Girard-Makar pair continue on next season, at least to start. Cole-EJ seems logical as the "shut down" pair, with Zadorov and Byram as the final pairing. Though I could also see Cole-Byram and Zadorov-EJ to give Byram a more positionally sound D partner.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Fair deal, but next summer will decide if we can keep him long term or not. Or is the plan to let him go UFA so that we don’t have to protect him for the X draft ?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Not as bad as some, but he still has a natural preference to it. Makar has one of the top 4 spots for sure. Then EJ has the other until his walker gives out (probably 2 or so seasons before the Avs pull that plug). After that, it is totally up in the air and Z could be in the mix for the spot. He's going to be competing with Timmins nearly right away... taking the injury out of the equation, I see Timmins taking that spot with ease over Z. With the injury, Z could hold it down. As I said though, that is probably a couple seasons away where Z is really a bottom pairing guy who can play up... paying those types is dangerous.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
What if he promises to only smash the board's designated whipping boy?

giphy.gif

Still, be bittersweet watching him lay waste to fools in another sweater, should it come to that.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I have to say, I thought Z’s contract would be a bit more expensive, but it probably got pushed down because it was just one season. Now on to Rantanen, Compher, and Burakovsky.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I think we went on that horrible losing skid when he was injured last season and when he came back we started winning again. He is a very big part of the avs success. I’m away he’s like our very own Chara. He shows up when he’s needed most which is in the playoffs. Next off season we need to sign him to a long term deal

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad