Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
We have been icing the likes of Martinsen, Comeau and Tanguay in our top 6. But, your right, wing is just a luxury:shakehead. What a ridiculous comment.

People are enthralled by the idea of adding a guy with the potential to be another Kane or Datsyuk. But hey, you disagree with the idea, so it can't be something normal like that (simply liking the player). Nope, there has to be some stupid reason people are disagreeing with you:shakehead

He said offensive winger is a luxury. I am among the group that doesn't believe Drouin checks off enough boxes for what the Avs need in order to justify trading a player like Zads or a significant package that will hammer the little depth the team has built. So yes, to me he is a luxury.

Is what he said anymore ridiculous than saying those who are hesitant to trade for Drouin clearly haven't watched him play? Because there is plenty of that going around the boards as well.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Drouin will fetch a good but not great package. Turris only returned a 2nd+Rundblad if I recall correctly. Turris had some question marks, but so does Drouin. I'm sure Yzerman is trying to pretend time is on his side and he will demand the best prospects of the other team in return but it's just an act. He has to trade him (draft at the latest) and will take the best package offered at that point.

As long as Rantanen, Bigras and Zadorov are off the table and our first rounders top three protected, I'm fine with everything really.

I would rather not trade players like Meloche, Compher, Pickard etc because I think they will be useful NHL players, perhaps even really good NHL players but Drouin has such high upside it's worth it.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Why are we trading prospects to begin with. Do they Avs really need a top 6 winger? Why not just play someone like Comeau, who can move up in the lineup, in the top 6?Then improve the overall forward depth in the off-season with lower picks or through free agency.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The killer with trading Meloche now is that we don't have him to trade in the future. You know how guys like McKeown, Duclair, Morrow and Forsberg have been moved for rentals at the deadline. I expected that to be Meloche for us when we start contending. I'm not saying I don't want Meloche on this team. I think he's going to be a great player. I just feel he was eventually going to be traded for an impact now player. I feel that Greer was our 2nd round target and then Meloche was BPA with the other pick so they took him.

No, even Hepple said they targeted a puck moving D at 40. Greer was the extra pick that afforded them to take a power forward that they wanted to take a chance on. They like taking F/D combos and they like taking D with the high second, so Meloche was very much an intended pick.

Wasn't really what you are saying but I think leads to a good point that trading in the future is going to be better. There will be more value in these picks, we will know what our needs are better and we'll be closer to contention. If we have a surplus of D then that's when we can get a killing for one of them.

We are in a playoff race now, that should be enough entertainment without having to clean our our small stash of assets just to get a new player and a few headlines. The goal is to have the best team for a long time in the future, not just right now.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
We are in a playoff race now, that should be enough entertainment without having to clean our our small stash of assets just to get a new player and a few headlines. The goal is to have the best team for a long time in the future, not just right now.

Right. It definitely is for me. I wanted whatever trade to happen earlier. Now I'm content just watching them play and I'm very glad that is the case.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
That's about as much as I'd be willing to pay as well. Guy has a lot of potential, both for good and for bad. He could be a complete headache come contract negotiation time, and who's to say that the first time Roy benches him he doesn't pull this stunt again? If he does his value would be considerably lower than at this point in time.

Truth is, trades rarely has a clear winner. The proposed trade clearly puts us in the winner category, therefore, the trade is not well balanced.

What would we give for Drouin and how much it will take to get him are 2 very different things.

There will be a big risk to go get him, and that means giving up someone that risks being a top end player.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Why are we trading prospects to begin with. Do they Avs really need a top 6 winger? Why not just play someone like Comeau, who can move up in the lineup, in the top 6?Then improve the overall forward depth in the off-season with lower picks or through free agency.

yes we do as Comeau isn't a top 6 player. Mackinnon, Landeskog, Duchene and Soderberg are top 6 forwards with Rantanen the only prospect with a high chance of becoming 1.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country

Both Tangs and Iggy are almost done.

We don't know where and when Rantanan will make it. Otherwise, our wing is depleted and week. The only reason why it looks good now is because Dutchy is on the wing.

We can even argue that our wing crop is worst than our D crop.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
We're winning the cup within the next 2 years? sweet!

If it was for a Stamkos level rental then maybe I'd be ok with it but I hate trading prospects/high picks for rentals regardless of the situation/sport.

My bad, I must have missed the 2 year stipulation in your post, or the post you quoted. I'm pretty sure I read "ever" and "when we start contending".

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No, even Hepple said they targeted a puck moving D at 40. Greer was the extra pick that afforded them to take a power forward that they wanted to take a chance on. They like taking F/D combos and they like taking D with the high second, so Meloche was very much an intended pick.

Wasn't really what you are saying but I think leads to a good point that trading in the future is going to be better. There will be more value in these picks, we will know what our needs are better and we'll be closer to contention. If we have a surplus of D then that's when we can get a killing for one of them.

This is definitely a fact. It's the way the team should head into the deadline but the fan in me just wants to see a little excitement. That isn't going to change and I will continue to hope to see a trade or two but fortunately our GM doesn't think like me (nor would I if I were in such a powerful position :laugh: )

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Both Tangs and Iggy are almost done.

We don't know where and when Rantanan will make it. Otherwise, our wing is depleted and week. The only reason why it looks good now is because Dutchy is on the wing.

We can even argue that our wing crop is worst than our D crop.
Sure, we can, but would you rather have a weak defensive core or weak wingers? I know which one I'd rather have and it's not even close.

Duchene has been on wing most of this season. Maybe the Avs are starting to think this his position long term. Even if it's not, having the option to move him around makes the wingers look a heck of a lot better.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I think Drouin will fetch a good but not great package. Turris only returned a 2nd+Rundblad if I recall correctly. Turris had some question marks, but so does Drouin. I'm sure Yzerman is trying to pretend time is on his side and he will demand the best prospects of the other team in return but it's just an act. He has to trade him (draft at the latest) and will take the best package offered at that point.

As long as Rantanen, Bigras and Zadorov are off the table and our first rounders top three protected, I'm fine with everything really.

I would rather not trade players like Meloche, Compher, Pickard etc because I think they will be useful NHL players, perhaps even really good NHL players but Drouin has such high upside it's worth it.

Wasn't Rundblad a highly touted prospect at the time, similar to what Bigras and Zadorov are today?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Sakic should be fired if he ever trades Meloche for a rental.

Much better prospects than Meloche get moved for rentals and they often turn into key pieces in Stanley Cup victories. "Sakic should be fired" is a little extreme for a 2nd round pick who's stock may have risen to an early second round pick or late 1st at best.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It's not as if the offense has really struggled, though. We're not blowing up the box score like Dallas and Washington, but it's not bad either by any means. We have fairly balanced goal scoring down the line and the defense chips in too. Add in elite goaltending and we do have a winning formula.

And to say Drouin is a Kane/Datsyuk is vastly overstating it. MacKinnon has been doing much, much better in the NHL and even I wouldn't say he is ever going to be THAT good. You're either equating junior scoring with NHL scoring or just counting potential talent, which means nothing unless it develops into actual numbers.

You seriously think we are going to win cups with guys like Tanguay, Martinsen and Comeau in the top6?

Of course I'm talking about potential. We are talking about 20 year old prospects. That they have actual produced so far is meaningless. Their current production shouldn't be anywhere near what they should turn into. I guess all that potential Zadorov has means nothing as well then? You guys can't have it both ways. You can't point to Zadorov and talk about his potential and how rare his skill set is, but then ignore all that for Drouin and say, "look at his production" or downplay his potential as something that is common just because other players can/have/will produce. Like I said, Zadorov is a rare breed, but so is Drouin. Just because there are other forwards who produce doesn't make Drouin anymore of a common talent. Just like Dmen who produce. They are not the same as Zadorov. It's hard to find guys with Zadorov's potential based on his size, skating and skill. It's hard to find guys with Drouin's potential based on his hands and creativity. Neither guy is someone who can be replaced by a similar player in every draft. you can find potential top pair players and potential elite scorers in every draft. But you can't find guys with the specific skill sets of a Zadorov or a Drouin just like that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One thing to remember on the Turris/Rundblad deal... Rundblad was a top prospect at the time. At the level of a Bigras/Zadorov.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
That's what trades are all about.

We are still debating who won the EJ trade to this day...

This is why the trade will be much closer in value (Worst for us) than a lot of the proposals here...

I'm afraid to lose someone like Bigras, but if we do, I am confident it will be a good move.

Mcguire mentioned a 2-1 deal, this in my head is something COL offered, Bigras and a prospect. For some reason I think Bigras is still up here to be showcased... It's just a feeling I have.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If we make a deal for any NHL talent I feel confident it will be a good one. Our pro scouts have done a fantastic job lately. Beauchemin, Soderberg and Comeau are great additions. I feel like Brad Stuart was Joe Sakic's doing.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
yes we do as Comeau isn't a top 6 player. Mackinnon, Landeskog, Duchene and Soderberg are top 6 forwards with Rantanen the only prospect with a high chance of becoming 1.

That's all we have now and we're in the middle of the playoff hunt, even after a slow start.

Right now we have a lot of dead weight with Tanguay, Iginla, Martinen, and Grigorenko. That's pretty much a whole line that's not doing a whole lot. I'm willing to give Grigorenko a chance to improve in the offseason and we're likely stuck with Iginla for next season anyways. However if the Avs can add two 35-45 pt guys to stick on the third line for next season, while still adding Rantanen than that should alleviate the need for more scoring next season.

I really don't see the need to make a big gamble on getting a winger.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That's what trades are all about.

We are still debating who won the EJ trade to this day...

This is why the trade will be much closer in value (Worst for us) than a lot of the proposals here...

I'm afraid to lose someone like Bigras, but if we do, I am confident it will be a good move.

Mcguire mentioned a 2-1 deal, this in my head is something COL offered, Bigras and a prospect. For some reason I think Bigras is still up here to be showcased... It's just a feeling I have.

I don't think Bigras is being showcased at 7 minutes a game. If they were showcasing him they would play him much more (and with a better partner). It's not like he cant handle some more minutes, he's just being developed the way Roy wants him to be and if he was going elsewhere Roy wouldn't care how he's developed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If we make a deal for any NHL talent I feel confident it will be a good one. Our pro scouts have done a fantastic job lately. Beauchemin, Soderberg and Comeau are great additions. I feel like Brad Stuart was Joe Sakic's doing.

An angle that is never discussed with Stuart is Brisson. The Avs have a great relationship with him and I'm sure Brisson played a huge role in the whole process.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Excuse me while I vomit. I would despise that trade.

You seriously think we are going to win cups with guys like Tanguay, Martinsen and Comeau in the top6?
At what point has anyone ever said that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad