Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Gotta think there is a problem in Tampa... MSL, Stamkos still not signed, now Drouin... Seems odd to me.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't necessarily think it means Drouin is a bad egg, but having the player and agent pull this when things aren't going their way? Buyer beware.

That said, MSL played his whole career with a massive chip on his shoulder and stayed with one team for the majority of his career so a player with that mentality doesn't cause problems automatically.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I don't necessarily think it means Drouin is a bad egg, but having the player and agent pull this when things aren't going their way? Buyer beware.

That said, MSL played his whole career with a massive chip on his shoulder and stayed with one team for the majority of his career so a player with that mentality doesn't cause problems automatically.

Worth the risk for a team that desperately needs a top caliber wing. *cough* avs *cough*

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Got to agree, but something fishy is going on in TB.

Something leads me to believe that him sitting out is the right move for him. I feel like TB is really putting the screws to him, and he has to push back. Can't let the team walk all over you.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
St. Louis, then the will-he-or-won't-he sign with Stamkos, now Drouin. Something tells me these things have more to do with Jon Cooper and Steve Yzerman than the players. No doubt the players play a massive part, but one case is an anomaly. Two gets you thinking. Three paints a bad picture.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
St. Louis, then the will-he-or-won't-he sign with Stamkos, now Drouin. Something tells me these things have more to do with Jon Cooper and Steve Yzerman than the players. No doubt the players play a massive part, but one case is an anomaly. Two gets you thinking. Three paints a bad picture.

I don't think it means all that much. MacKinnon and Barrie don't have contracts yet either and nobody's panicking. Sitting and taking offers on Drouin is Yzerman's right as a GM, and can you blame Stamkos for thinking long and hard about his value as a free agent?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think it means all that much. MacKinnon and Barrie don't have contracts yet either and nobody's panicking. Sitting and taking offers on Drouin is Yzerman's right as a GM, and can you blame Stamkos for thinking long and hard about his value as a free agent?

Stamkos is a special situation because he's made it well known that he wants to play centre, but last season and in the playoffs Cooper was using him as a winger. This season I believe he's using him as a centre, but will Stamkos look past that and wonder if Cooper is doing it now just to please him and then when he signs, go back to having him play wing?

Of course it's Yzerman's right to take calls on Drouin but I'm of the opinion that this situation could have been avoided entirely in the first place if not for Jon Cooper. Who is the last 3rd overall pick to be handled the way Drouin has been? Only forwards:

2012 Alex Galchenyuk
2011 Jonathan Huberdeau
2009 Matt Duchene
2007 Kyle Turris
2006 Jonathan Toews
That's the last decade of 3rd overall picks for forwards (didn't include 14 and 15 drafts since they're after Drouin and even then, 14 is seeing Draisaitl succeed during his 2nd season). The only player who seems comparable to Drouin's situation is Turris.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Stamkos is a special situation because he's made it well known that he wants to play centre, but last season and in the playoffs Cooper was using him as a winger. This season I believe he's using him as a centre, but will Stamkos look past that and wonder if Cooper is doing it now just to please him and then when he signs, go back to having him play wing?

Of course it's Yzerman's right to take calls on Drouin but I'm of the opinion that this situation could have been avoided entirely in the first place if not for Jon Cooper. Who is the last 3rd overall pick to be handled the way Drouin has been? Only forwards:

2012 Alex Galchenyuk
2011 Jonathan Huberdeau
2009 Matt Duchene
2007 Kyle Turris
2006 Jonathan Toews
That's the last decade of 3rd overall picks for forwards (didn't include 14 and 15 drafts since they're after Drouin and even then, 14 is seeing Draisaitl succeed during his 2nd season). The only player who seems comparable to Drouin's situation is Turris.

stamkos played center all last season until the struggles in the playoffs.

he's been mostly center this year but has spent some games on the wing.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
CZNBT2cWIAYuMi_.jpg

edit. LMAO

Last edited:

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Duchene2MacKinnon said:
He signed a contract to play with Tampa and not some team in the AHL.

So, why is it ok to do one thing to get your way but not another? The avs owned ROR's rights in NA and he went turned his back on the organization by signing with the Flames. He handcuffed the organization into getting what he wants, you think if ROR got sent down or played on the 4th line after signing a contract he wouldn't have asked for a trade and refused to play until he got what he wanted?

ROR was a FREE AGENT... FREE! He could have signed in Russia, like he did, or with any other NHL team, like he did... Again, FREE.

And after the Avs matched the offershet he was not sent to the AHL or played on the 4th line, but he was put on the 3rd line, and played mostly with guys like McLeod, Kobasew and Palushaj and still managed to out produce Stastny, without ever complaining.

Comparing ROR and Drouin is just... embarrassing.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
ROR was a FREE AGENT... FREE! He could have signed in Russia, like he did, or with any other NHL team, like he did... Again, FREE.

And after the Avs matched the offershet he was not sent to the AHL or played on the 4th line, but he was put on the 3rd line, and played mostly with guys like McLeod, Kobasew and Palushaj and still managed to out produce Stastny, without ever complaining.

ROR was a Restricted Free Agent, which is a totally different situation than being a Free Agent. You don't get to choose the team you play for, the team has the final say. If you leave for Russia I'm pretty sure whatever team you were on has rights for you, and a bunch of things like that. So he wasn't exactly free

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
My offer for Drouin would still be a top 10 protected first + Bleackley or Siemens type prospect (Rant, Bigs and Zads would be off the table).

If forced just to finalize I could change to either top 5 protected or 2 prospects.

Anything more and I'd back out and see how the situation plays out further. May end up missing out, but that's how it goes some days.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Lol, what???

Ryan O'Reilly, in the lockout season, after his holdout,
averaged 18:30 a game.

He played on the #1 PP unit, and his most common line mate was landeskog.

ROR played 3rd line minutes in his his first and second seasons only. These are the seasons that should be compared to Drouin.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
ROR was a Restricted Free Agent, which is a totally different situation than being a Free Agent. You don't get to choose the team you play for, the team has the final say. If you leave for Russia I'm pretty sure whatever team you were on has rights for you, and a bunch of things like that. So he wasn't exactly free

Any restricted free agent is free to sign with any team he wants, the difference is that the team that holds the players right has the option to still keep the player by matching the offer.

Comparing ROR to Drouin, a guy that is refusing to play, is just absurd.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Any restricted free agent is free to sign with any team he wants, the difference is that the team that holds the players right has the option to still keep the player by matching the offer.

Comparing ROR to Drouin, a guy that is refusing to play, is just absurd.

Exactly the team that has his rights has the final say. And ROR was refusing to play, he was holding out for an absurd amount of money and the the Flames signed him to an offer sheet and the Avs matched it. So the comparison of ROR and Drouin refusing to play isn't that absurd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad