Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
If and its a big if they do land Drouin ..in the season.. Grigs looks like he'd coming out or at least rotating with Wagner/Martinsen.

boooo.

Sending Martinsen down would be the logical move. I could stomach Grigs eating nachos if Drouin was the alternative.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think Wood is still too much of an unknown project too hold that kind of value. He's a really exciting prospect, but still so far from making it that I can't see him having enough value to be that missing piece in a Drounin trade...but hopefully the success Parayko's having as a giant rookie RHD with an insane shot and skill, could work in our favor in this respect.

Meloche is much safer and probably holds more hype. He's the one teams will probably ask for if Mikko/Nik/Woody are off of the table.

...my point exactly...

I'm thinking Tampa would probably be more interested in Compher/Bleackley/Grigo than Meloche or one of our Dmen. They have a bunch of Dmen filling the top of their prospect rankings. Center wise, it's Point, Peca, and Stephens (a couple midgets and a guy fairly similar to Bleackley at quick glance). That's if they settle for a package and don't get their NHL ready, ELC, RHD they are asking for.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll have to run for cover... Gagner is also a parallel. People thought he was a can't miss and was known for his super high hockey IQ. Now he can barely stay on a team. I don't think Drouin is another Gagner, but teams have to be careful with players like the Drouins.

I called Sam Gagner sucking when he got picked by the Oilers. Just not a good hockey player for the NHL

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Like most of us here I would be happy if we did get Drouin, however what do you guys think would happen to the roster if we indeed did trade for him without giving up any roster players? What would happen to the lines? Does that mean Rantanen would have to stay in the AHL? You guys know more about this than me just wondering what would happen. :laugh:

Drouin would get sent down :sarcasm:

Not needing Zadorov is crazy talk. We've had a crap D for a decade but it's ok because there's light at the end of the tunnel to just give up a huge part of our future. We aren't even there yet. If it turns out we are blessed with a bounty of D later on then we sell one then and make a killing. You don't just find a Zadorov in every draft either, there's only so many of those guys even ever available. Even if he doesn't reach his ceiling he's going to be a solid minutes munching player for us. This happens every time he's in the AHL it's oh we don't need him and then when he's up here everyone's like ehrmagherd that guy is here to stay!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Drouin would get sent down :sarcasm:

Not needing Zadorov is crazy talk. We've had a crap D for a decade but it's ok because there's light at the end of the tunnel to just give up a huge part of our future. We aren't even there yet. If it turns out we are blessed with a bounty of D later on then we sell one then and make a killing. You don't just find a Zadorov in every draft either, there's only so many of those guys even ever available. Even if he doesn't reach his ceiling he's going to be a solid minutes munching player for us. This happens every time he's in the AHL it's oh we don't need him and then when he's up here everyone's like ehrmagherd that guy is here to stay!

If Zadorov were already a high level Dman playing in the NHL like Ristolainen, Ekblad, or Jones then I could understand the comment that you dont find a guy like that every draft. But he's not, and in every draft we absolutely have the opportunity to draft a similar talent to Zadorov.

Way to much bias towards Zads because he's our prospect. He's no different then any of the other former 1st round picks that haven't made it yet, or any of the future picks, and we absolutely have the opportunity to draft a guy as good or even better then Zadorov in this years draft. It doesn't mean we're going to, but we definitely can.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
If Zadorov were already a high level Dman playing in the NHL like Ristolainen, Ekblad, or Jones then I could understand the comment that you dont find a guy like that every draft. But he's not, and in every draft we absolutely have the opportunity to draft a similar talent to Zadorov.

Way to much bias towards Zads because he's our prospect. He's no different then any of the other former 1st round picks that haven't made it yet, or any of the future picks, and we absolutely have the opportunity to draft a guy as good or even better then Zadorov in this years draft. It doesn't mean we're going to, but we definitely can.

You're actually underrated Zadorov. Zadorov is 20 years old, 6'5 and 225 lbs. That's a beast of a man (kid lol) and no you cannot find a player like that in every draft. His reach as a defender is a big asset alone. The game he got sent down he hit Rantanen with a beautiful stretch pass leading to a breakaway. He's timid when he plays up here as he's trying to play safe. We haven't even seen Zadorov's potential in the NHL but it's there.

With regards to who is more likely to hit their potential and comparing Drouin to Zadorov I can agree with you. Drouin is the real deal and if you prefer him I won't argue but Zadorov is absolutely not a player you find in every draft. He's a massive defensemen who can skate very well and has great instincts offensively. He just needs to settle down in the defensive zone. It'll come.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I feel like it's the opposite, Zadorov wasn't "our" baby so it's pretty easy to push him aside and get rid of him. No there's not a 6'5 defenseman that skates like him with his offensive potential in every draft and if there are it's not likely he will even be available to us to take. If we are down on Zadorov because he's not NHL established with his pedigree then we have to put Drouin in the same boat, it's the same type of thing. He's no different than former first round picks that haven't made it yet, yep. Who are we going to draft that's as good as or better than Zadorov? With 3 fewer years of development time too.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Yeah, I don't trade Zads for Drouin, I just don't. I agree with TV, we have had a ****** D for a long time, no reason to trade any of them at the moment, IMO.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Oh that's great. We can draft a D in the first round and wait another 4-5 years and see if he can maybe, hopefully help out on D at that point. That's how it realistically works, after all. Maybe they'll be a Duncan Siemens.

Nobody wanted to make the ROR trade without a young D as the centerpiece. Now 7 months later people are willing to trade him, and no one has given a reason that makes a lick of sense. It's not like D has suddenly become a strength. We've got a 35 year old and Nick Holden locking down two top 4 spots, an injury prone #1, and Tyson Barrie, whose about to get paid big time. How else do we fix the D if we don't develop?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Oh that's great. We can draft a D in the first round and wait another 4-5 years and see if he can maybe, hopefully help out on D at that point. That's how it realistically works, after all. Maybe they'll be a Duncan Siemens.

Nobody wanted to make the ROR trade without a young D as the centerpiece. Now 7 months later people are willing to trade him, and no one has given a reason that makes a lick of sense. It's not like D has suddenly become a strength. We've got a 35 year old and Nick Holden locking down two top 4 spots, an injury prone #1, and Tyson Barrie, whose about to get paid big time. How else do we fix the D if we don't develop?

Free agent signings, duh :sarcasm:

Seriously...an offensive winger is a luxury. It is hands down the least important position in hockey. With the way the game is trending, I think you could make a good case defense is the most important. Beauchemin is holding down the fort right now on one pairing on the left side...but simply because we have one potential replacement for him (Bigras) does not mean we don't need another high end defender. We do. Holden is not a long term option, no other defender in our system can be relied upon to become a top 4 defensman whatsoever...heck, we don't even know for sure that Barrie has a long term future here. We have one long term top 4 defensman right now, and that's Johnson. The Avs desperately need to hoard Bigras and Zadorov. Our defense is still a weakspot...pretending it is a strength and we can toss a away a top defensive prospect for a luxury is...beyond me.

I think too many people are enthralled by the idea of a shiny new offensive piece.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Can't even entertain moving Zadarov, we gave EJ alot of rope to grow into what he is, yet just because Zadorov isn't an impact player at the age of 20 he becomes expendable? no way.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Comparing Zadorov to Drouin just because neither prospect has "made it" is really shortsighted. Everybody knows that forwards have a much easier time translating their game to the pro level than defensemen. Ekblad types who go right into the league are way less common than your MacKinnons and Eichels who slot right into a roster at 18. A 20 year old defenseman is practically a baby in the NHL. Forwards don't have as much to learn about how to do their job.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thankfully Roykic don't appear to be dumb enough to trade Zads. The kid will be a better dman than anyone in our organization. Tearing apart our potential defensive strength before it ever even comes together would be absolute lunacy.

Bull****

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

lol. Even if true, it doesn't change the fact that d-men take forever to develop, and Zads is a few years closer to helping us than whoever we'd pick to replace him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

This entire post is just wrong. Find me all these defensemen in prior years who have the size, mobility, skills, and penchant for physical play that Zadorov has.

The only thing he has left to figure out is consistency. He has to be consistent with his game and not get too prone to making the big blunder, but the fact that you think we can find a defensemen like Zadorov in any other draft is asinine.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
lol. Even if true, it doesn't change the fact that d-men take forever to develop, and Zads is a few years closer to helping us than whoever we'd pick to replace him.

Yeah, take for example a guy like Hedman who was drafted in 09. He is just now getting talked about as a Norris caliber defender.

What about NJ's Larsson? People were almost thinking he was going to be a bust, now hes becoming another top end defender.

Personally I think the big guys, while some may make the NHL right away, take longer to completely round out their game enough to be legit #1 defenders.

We all know Zadorov could be in the NHL right now if we were earlier in our rebuild like some teams who draft these guys and put them right into the NHL.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
The most I would offer for Drouin is a 2016 2nd, Meloche, and Siemens. Meloche is a big, mean, right-handed shot that has top-pairing potential and was considered a top 30 prospect in some publications in last year's deep draft. He's only improved since then. There's a scarcity of big, right handed shots in the NHL, so they're pretty valuable. Siemens is a former 11OA pick that has a lot of tools and even if he doesn't develop much more, should still be a solid bottom-pairing guy and there's still a chance that he's a late bloomer and puts it all together. This year's draft should be pretty deep too, so a 2nd certainly holds some value.

I know that if it weren't for all these things surrounding Drouin, he'd be worth more than that, but the reality is no team's GM can justify trading a similarly valued prospect for him. That just screams like a "digging your own grave" move. The warning signs with Drouin are apparent now and if GMs choose to ignore them and trade for him and later on he doesn't pan out or holds out for a better contract or over a lack of playing time, it could cost the GM his job. GMs don't make trades for the sake of making trades; they have to see a reward on their side. It doesn't make sense as a GM to trade a similarly valued prospect, unless they're dealing with similar circumstances as Drouin. Why take the chance? I know some people are saying that teams that are struggling to score goals should trade for him, but he's only scored 6 goals in 95 games(counting playoffs). If a team's looking for goal scoring they're better off targeting Grigorenko, he has 9 in 112. As far as primary assists Grigorenko has 11 in his 112 games, while Drouin has 20 in his 95 while playing with better linemates than Grigs has ever had. Grigs also is a center, 6' 3", and is way better defensively. People don't seem to understand that Drouin is by no means a finished product, he's still a little rough around the edges in certain parts of his game. Don't get me wrong though, he's certainly dynamic and I would love to see him and Mack reunited, but his situation and production are causes for concern and are the main reasons why he doesn't warrant a better return.

No matter what don't trade Mikko, Zads, or Bigras!

Last edited:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not against trading Zadorov but I'm not sure I'd give him up for Drouin.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think it's easier to find a Drouin in every draft than it is to find a Zadorov in every draft.

I second this. Thats why Stevie could be amenable to a draft day deal than moving him now..unless he can get Dumba...but i dont know if Drouin is exactly what MIN would like back ..not sure what their needs are, Center i guess?

Domi, Larkin, Nichuskin, Ehlers, are all comparable talents that have gone in that range of picks TB could/should obtain for Drouin. I think all were in that 7-15 range. Conversely, I wouldnt trade any of those guys straight up for Drouin now.

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Not a chance I'd trade Bigras/Rantanen/Zadorov for Drouin. Wouldn't be against giving a 1st + something for him, but no way you trade any of those three.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
If everything remains the same till the end of the reg. season (and we all hope they do) our 1st would be in the high teens and low twenties. So we would have to add significantly. And that add would be pieces I cant see TB being that in love with (Bleackley, Siemens, etc)
Right now I wouldnt take our 1st
VAN, ANA, ARZ , MTL make better candidates

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
There is no way management trades either Bigras or Zadorov. Trading Zadorov now would make the O'Reilly trade look terrible for Sakic. Roy also obviously loves the fact Zadorov is big and can skate. He's going to be Roy's project as long as he is around. Zero concern either guys are traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad