Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXII|6 Days Until Minor AHL Transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Same questions could have been asked with Cole, who they wanted to trade for and then ended up signing....

The Avs are not real thrilled with their defensive depth and have been looking to make a move there for a while. The rumors have them going after more of a 4/5 type than a top 3 type.

I find that personally pretty frustrating. They need a quality top four.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Same questions could have been asked with Cole, who they wanted to trade for and then ended up signing....

The Avs are not real thrilled with their defensive depth and have been looking to make a move there for a while. The rumors have them going after more of a 4/5 type than a top 3 type.

Yep...combined with the Nemeth and the Zadorov rumors and it all makes sense.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I suspect they're probably ok with waiting for Cale on that front. Whether that's something you think is a good idea or not that's probably what they are thinking.

Also, the fact Barberio has essentially been passed by Graves and Graves is now playing regular 4/5 type minutes would only further suggest they're really not happy with that 5/6/7 group right now.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I wonder where Stone will go.

Jets? Nashville? Anyone else been rumored?

Bos has been on name on that list, as has CGY, however the biggest reason its tough to tell is PD is still playing pretend and asking for unrealistic returns before he settles for mediocrity again.

Although in all fairness CBJ wasn't a team we heard much of on the Duchene front.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The left side is a lot weaker than the right. I don't really see the need for Jensen. I'd rather add to a 2nd rounder and get a better player.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I totally get that, but when we signed Cole we didn't have Cole, or 2 high end prospects on the way. Is he coming in to be a depth guy or is a kid sitting.

If we take out Barrie/Nemeth we still have

G/EJ
Cole/Makar
Z/Timmins
Graves/Barbs
Meloche

I just don't see anything about Jensen that makes moving for him make any sense.

Like its not like I doubt the validity of your claim, I just can't see a scenario where I'm like yeah that makes sense.

If the Avs expected it to be for a cheap rental to replace Nemeth for a playoff run, then I guess? That would mean that like me though they didn't expect him to be traded for that much.

Tims is still recovering and the Avs have no idea where he will be next year or if he will ever be a NHL player (remember how great Bigras was going to be?). Along with that, Z and Barbs might not be long for the world here. It will frustrate many around here, but the Z rumors are far, far more prevalent than the Barrie rumors (which are basically, you want him, give up a young high-end 2nd liner or not happening). The Avs just are not super happy with the group, and Jensen would have been an upgrade and answer fit some of what they are trying to inject with Jensen's skating ability.

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Tims is still recovering and the Avs have no idea where he will be next year or if he will ever be a NHL player (remember how great Bigras was going to be?). Along with that, Z and Barbs might not be long for the world here. It will frustrate many around here, but the Z rumors are far, far more prevalent than the Barrie rumors (which are basically, you want him, give up a young high-end 2nd liner or not happening). The Avs just are not super happy with the group, and Jensen would have been an upgrade and answer fit some of what they are trying to inject with Jensen's skating ability.

Fair enough, while I don't agree with it, I could see all of that.

Edit: Also I hope I didn't come off as disrespectful towards you in any way. It was the idea that I was having issue with and I was attempting to wrap my head around it. Especially as it was a less clear or straight forward one.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Why give up high end assets for a legit top 4 guy, when they have Makar, (hopefully) Timmins, and some UFA options to choose from?

I can see them going after Myers if they trade Barrie for example.

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Myers
Cole - Makar

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Yeah I get why they're doing it, I respect it in someways. I guess the disconnect comes from me thinking only a cup win would be worth it versus others thinking a 2nd or 3rd round exit would be a win.

If it was the Avs I'd rather not trade for Duchene and offload Panarin + Bob for 1sts + prospects, further adding to the core of PLD, Jones, Werenski, etc to build towards making a real contender versus praying to God that we do it this one single spring.

I agree with you. If I were Jarmo I’d’ve sought the best deals I could get for The Russian Duo once they made it clear they don’t intend to re-sign with C’bust.

Living in Ohio, I don’t know what to make of Columbus, or its fan base. From people I know that support them, as well as perusing their HF forum they seem happy enough having a playoff caliber team consistently. I’m surprised by how many still like Panarin a lot, given that he’s all but thumbed his nose at their city & franchise, while the Bobrovsky love remains puzzling, given his contract is quite generous for a goalie who’s never stolen them a game, let alone series in the playoffs, as I would expect from a 2 time Vezina winner.

Apparently being a competently run team earns you a generous amount of goodwill from your fans after being a train wreck organization for the better part of your existence. :dunno: Anyway, that ramble is my less than keen insight into what the Jackets may be thinking.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Why give up high end assets for a legit top 4 guy, when they have Makar, (hopefully) Timmins, and some UFA options to choose from?

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Myers
Cole - Makar
Just my opinion, but that's a weak top 4.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Myers
Cole - Makar

Because they could get a better and younger top 4 guy instead. If we could replace Cole in the top 4 with someone else that would help this team out immensely.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Just my opinion, but that's a weak top 4.

The Avs strength comes in its youth and the potential they can reach. It would be silly to assume that with many of them at 20 and 21 years old that they would be the best but the question is could they get there.

The other strength of the Avs D should be its depth, allowing them to mix and match based on situation to get the most out of their guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad