Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXII|6 Days Until Minor AHL Transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is that supposed to be good? An aging top pairing D — the only one on that roster — which results in a meh top pairing with no #1. And about as mediocre a second pairing as I can imagine. That plan is pretty much tantamount to dumping the future of the defense 100% on Makar. Timmins doesn’t count, he hasn’t played hockey in nearly a year, he can’t be counted on whatsoever.

Again with this aging EJ stuff. He's played great for a couple months now, and has been a stud defensively during their wins recently.

You guys have unrealistic expectations for what Sakic should add to the Avs blue line. Especially when they're building around Girard (20 years old) Makar (20 years old) Timmins (20 years old) and Zadorov (23 years old). It seems as though it's either Karlsson or the blue line sucks.

That blue line is a lot better than what they have now. Get back to me in a couple years about how the Avs top 4 sucks with Makar and Girard, plus whoever else they have.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Again with this aging EJ stuff. He's played great for a couple months now, and has been a stud defensively during their wins recently.

You guys have unrealistic expectations for what Sakic should add to the Avs blue line. Especially when they're building around Girard (20 years old) Makar (20 years old) Timmins (20 years old) and Zadorov (23 years old). It seems as though it's either Karlsson or the blue line sucks.

That blue line is a lot better than what they have now. Makar+Myers>Barrie+Nemeth. Get back to me in a couple years about how the Avs top 4 sucks with Makar and Girard, plus whoever else they have.
But we're talking about next season, not 4 years down the road.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Now that Duchene is gone, I expect the other deadline dominos to start falling soon as the second tier rentals start going to other teams. Panarin and Bob are obviously staying with the Duchene acquisition.

Stone should still hold up some of the wingers but there should be nothing holding back Hayes and imo WPG is the perfect spot for him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

That blue line is a lot better than what they have now. Get back to me in a couple years about how the Avs top 4 sucks with Makar and Girard, plus whoever else they have.

Zadorov does not belong in that group. And penciling Timmins in is beyond stupid.

If anything it's clear that Barrie, Girard, and Makar are Three of the building blocks with a need for a 4th very soon as EJ continues his decline.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Between Girard, Makar, Z and Timmins(hopefully), I'm fairly optimistic about our D going forward. That's not to say we shouldn't look for a legit top 4 D this summer.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Even if Barrie doesn't re-sign we still have Timmins (replaces EJ), Makar (replaces Barrie), Zadorov, Girard. Solid young group. And EJ has another 2-3 years left. Barrie will probably be traded this summer.

IF we can get Karlsson by all means do that. But then no need for a forward as well, simply trade Barrie.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Solid defensively, big and mobile, physical, chips in 30-35 points. He's not a #1 but that shouldn't be the expectation.

Outside of Karlsson who's a better UFA? They're not likely to give up the assets required in trade for a legit #1.

If you need a UFA to be good then your team isn't good enough to be getting UFA's. You draft your core players, UFA is just there to supplement.

Myers is pretty meh and injured a lot, I'd personally pass.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Zadorov does not belong in that group. And penciling Timmins in is beyond stupid.

If anything it's clear that Barrie, Girard, and Makar are Three of the building blocks with a need for a 4th very soon as EJ continues his decline.

Zadorov is in the group of young defenseman on the Avs, and he's a hopeful for a top 4 role. That's a fact.

I didn't pencil in Timmins. He wasn't in the group I listed and I qualify his name every time with (hopefully) every time I talk about him. Ignoring him like he's dead is beyond stupid.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The Avs are just now starting their window and its a long term success plan, its not about next year, its about the next 8
The people who disliked the lineup he posted were criticizing the Avs defense going in to next season not the long term potential.

Reactions: Meeqs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you need a UFA to be good then your team isn't good enough to be getting UFA's. You draft your core players, UFA is just there to supplement.

Myers is pretty meh and injured a lot, I'd personally pass.

Well that's a completely separate conversation. GM's need to utilize all methods. Draft, trade, and UFA. They can't rely on one or the other.

Who would you pass on him for though? Assuming they don't land the big fish in Karlsson?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Hell no on Myers. The D is fine as it is, don't waste cap space. Only to replace Barrie with Karlsson.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The people who disliked the lineup he posted were criticizing the Avs defense going in to next season not the long term potential.

Sakic isn't building a blue line for 2019-20, and he shouldn't be making big additions with only that in mind.

We also have no idea how much better Girard, Makar, and Zadorov will be next year.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Solid defensively, big and mobile, physical, chips in 30-35 points. He's not a #1 but that shouldn't be the expectation.

Outside of Karlsson who's a better UFA? They're not likely to give up the assets required in trade for a legit #1.

I'm not really in disagreement with anything you say here except that I think his defense is not that great. I've just never been a fan. I think he's a bigger, slower, and yes, more defensively responsible EJ. But not some massive upgrade on him. Depends on if the Avs move on from Barrie and are in the market for a right-shot depth defender I guess.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hell no on Myers. The D is fine as it is, don't waste cap space. Only to replace Barrie with Karlsson.

And if they can't come to terms with Barrie and miss on Karlsson? It feels a little damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with Sakic.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

"Again with this aging EJ stuff". What? Erik Johnson is going to be 31 years old next month. This is when players slow down and decline. Are you arguing against the existence of father time? "Aging EJ" isn't "stuff". Erik Johnson is aging, Erik Johnson is on the wrong side of 30 and God knows has suffered enough injuries on his body, aging players with wear and tear decline, end of conversation.

Hoping for the addition of one quality top four defensman, while retaining the handful of top four defensmen this team currently has without aimlessly losing them like a bunch of the gadabouts on this board desire is not unrealistic.

Your list of what the defense is being built around is unrealistic. Why is Connor Timmins there? He has not played hockey since May. He suffered a very serious concussion, he's still not playing hockey games, and he just lost a full year of development at the most critical age. Pencilling him in anywhere right now is beyond my comprehension. Did we learn nothing from Chris Bigras, who was also a high end second rounder this fanbase pencilled in on every roster, whose career was derailed by a couple concussions (none of which took him out as long as Timmins'....)? Connor Timmins is someone I sure hope can be a player for us long term, but counting on it? "Building" around him?

There is zero reason to believe they are building this defense around Zadorov. He's credibly been in trade rumours, and he's going to be a 24 year old going into this offseason needed a new contract with a track record of uneven play.

Cale Makar and Sam Girard are the only two young D / prospects that can be counted on right now. That's two youngsters, one of which is already being relied on in a top four role, on a team currently lacking a top four defensman, with one of the teams' top four defensmen aging and the other whom half of this board can't wait to trade for a shiny new toy (Drouin!).

So that's two defensmen who can be relied on in top four roles for the next 5 years, three if Barrie is kept.

It's not a lot better. It's a big downgrade from Barrie to Myers. Myers is a 29 year old who is soft as hell, mediocre offensively, and ridiculously inconsistent defensively. I have no time for a 6'8 giant who plays like he's 5'8. The only upgrade that would occur on the blue line would be entirely dependent on whatever Makar does out of the gate.

And I thought we were talking about now, not in "a couple years".

I think I'll bail out of this one since I know the Tyson Barrie road we're about to head down as the next logical step of this conversation, and God knows this board has killed that topic.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think EJ's been a "stud" defensively, he's just found the offensive game that for whatever reason wasn't there in the first half of the season. His defensive game has noticeably improved merely because he isn't coughing up the puck on a regular basis anymore.

On a side note, I will say that, right now, I really don't miss Ian Cole.

Reactions: AvsWraith
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->