Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Why would Seattle do that though?

If Seattle has a chance at taking a player like Barrie, the only way they don’t take Barrie is if the Avs offer up something just as valuable as Barrie to take someone else. In that case the Avs will just suck it up and lose a good player.
I see what you are saying but Barrie's contract will be up before then , he will most likely be gone

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I see what you are saying but Barrie's contract will be up before then , he will most likely be gone
I said “like Barrie”. Could be someone else like Zadorov or Girard. Somebody good at hockey is going to be exposed and it’s going to take a lot more than “a pick” to entice Seattle to take somebody bad when they have the option of adding a game changer to their team.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I said “like Barrie”. Could be someone else like Zadorov or Girard. Somebody good at hockey is going to be exposed and it’s going to take a lot more than “a pick” to entice Seattle to take somebody bad when they have the option of adding a game changer to their team.
Oh ok bro , yes ok I think I looks good for the Avs blue line , expansion wise , if Timmins and Makar don't need protection.

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
If EJ is this bad or worse, he's not getting claimed with his contract. Sakic just needs to convince him to waive.

I hope Timmins needs protection. If he doesn't play at all this year, that's a bad sign.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If EJ is this bad or worse, he's not getting claimed with his contract. Sakic just needs to convince him to waive.

I hope Timmins needs protection. If he doesn't play at all this year, that's a bad sign.

I'm pretty sure that EJ wouldn't even need to waive because he doesn't have a full NMC.

And doesn't Timmins automatically need to be protected because he's too old for his ELC to slide again?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Member when people here wanted to sign James Neal last summer because he has been a consistent goal scorer? 4 goals in his last 50 games.

Reactions: Foppberg

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I seriously wonder if the Pietrangelo could end up being the answer to the Avs never ending search of a legit # 1 defenceman. It is rare for a defenceman as good as him to become available, but it’s also hard to picture the Avs spending assets and not improve the forward group.
Makes you wonder what it would cost the Avs. Karlsson is the closest comparable that I can think of that was traded recently but I'd say Karlsson is also the better player. The closest equivalent of the Karlsson deal I could come up with for the Avs would be:

Pietrangelo
for
Avs 1st round 2019
Avs 2nd round pick 2019/2020 *STL's choice
Avs 1st round pick 2021/Avs 2021 2nd round *1st round pick If Pietrangelo re-signs or Avs make cup finals . Otherwise pick changes to 2nd round pick.
Kerfoot
Bowers
Lewis
Nemeth

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm pretty sure that EJ wouldn't even need to waive because he doesn't have a full NMC.

And doesn't Timmins automatically need to be protected because he's too old for his ELC to slide again?
Timmins could still be playing junior so I can't see that bing an issue if he doesn't play at all this year.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Makes you wonder what it would cost the Avs. Karlsson is the closest comparable that I can think of that was traded recently but I'd say Karlsson is also the better player. The closest equivalent of the Karlsson deal I could come up with for the Avs would be:

Pietrangelo
for
Avs 1st round 2019
Avs 1st round pick 2021/Avs 2021 2nd round *1st round pick If Pietrangelo re-signs or Avs make cup finals . Otherwise pick changes to 2nd round pick.
Kerfoot
Bowers
Lewis
Nemeth
Um... no chance in hell.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Timmins could still be playing junior so I can't see that bing an issue if he doesn't play at all this year.

He's a late birthday though. So wouldn't he be in the same boat as Makar; where he'll be ED eligible if he signs his ELC before next season...as Timmins already has?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Pietrangelo
for
Avs 1st round 2019
Kerfoot
Bowers
Lewis
Nemeth

The Avalanche don't need to spend like that for a defenseman when Cale Makar is on the way.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018

I'm pretty sure as long as Timmins doesn't play a single game he's exempt.

I don't think the expansion rules are clear outside of direct examples in the Vegas draft. But there's a bunch of rules in the CBA pertaining to professional seasons and it differs in every UFA group but all descriptions of professional seasons have number of games as a requirement.

An example from capfriendly:
What is a Group VI UFA?

A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions shall become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
  2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
  3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.
From the Vegas draft, European players are actually exempt in the draft. And so are players with AHL experience aged 18/19 (January 1st cutoff).

I don't think there's actually an example of a player missing a whole season who can be referenced. But I'd be really surprised if a season with no games played counts as a season of professional experience for the purpose of the expansion draft.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
FWIW in the last expansion draft any NMC had to be protected, even if it came with a partial trade clause. Best/most dramatic example is Fleury. So if the rules stay the same, EJ is going to have to waive it for expansion. I expect they'll ask him, and if he doesn't they'll just buy him out like they did Beauchemin. Which is painful to think about because of how much I like EJ.

If I remember correctly, they never even asked Beauchemin to waive, just bought him out to get rid of him.

Reactions: cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
FWIW in the last expansion draft any NMC had to be protected, even if it came with a partial trade clause. Best/most dramatic example is Fleury. So if the rules stay the same, EJ is going to have to waive it for expansion. I expect they'll ask him, and if he doesn't they'll just buy him out like they did Beauchemin. Which is painful to think about because of how much I like EJ.

If I remember correctly, they never even asked Beauchemin to waive, just bought him out to get rid of him.

Well on the other side of the coin Ryan didn't have to be protected, and he has/had a NMC with a NTC as well.

I'd say most likely EJ has to be protected, waives it, or is bought out. But there is some chance he won't, and we probably won't find out for sure until a lot closer. I've tried to ask CF, but no response.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Well on the other side of the coin Ryan didn't have to be protected, and he has/had a NMC with a NTC as well.

I'd say most likely EJ has to be protected, waives it, or is bought out. But there is some chance he won't, and we probably won't find out for sure until a lot closer. I've tried to ask CF, but no response.
Won't even matter if they play it smart and Barrie is gone

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Been watching Hayes the last week since this conversation started. I'm becoming much more ok with paying the price to acquire him both in trade and contract. Maybe hes just hot right now, but damn he's just confirmed my thoughts that he'd be really valuable against some of the physical teams in the West.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I would be surprised if Sakic went through years of not being able to find quality defenseman, and then let a good one be exposed in the draft.

I think they'll go the 8 player route and lose a decent forward before that happens. Maybe someone like Compher, but it's too early to tell what the team makeup will be then.

Reactions: cgf

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Been watching Hayes the last week since this conversation started. I'm becoming much more ok with paying the price to acquire him both in trade and contract. Maybe hes just hot right now, but damn he's just confirmed my thoughts that he'd be really valuable against some of the physical teams in the West.

There's always an asterisks besides a player in their contract year. He's still a good player and i'd love to get him via UFA, but if the Rangers want a 1st + B+ prospect I don't think he's worth that.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If we have competent management and scouting (which I believe we do) - Hayes' hot streak should have little to do with our interest level or willingness to pay through the nose. If anything it should give them pause to consider the potential of both an escalating bidding war in terms of trade assets and the fact that the better the stats, the more Hayes is going to want to cash in this summer as a very young UFA who controls his own destiny...and we've seen him play his cards to his advantage in the past with his signing out of college (not blaming him but he's going to cash in this summer).

Good player, would help us, would put OUR first and a B prospect on the table...seems pretty fair for a rental. But his price since yesterday in some Rangers' fans eyes has now jumped to ludicrous levels - TWO first rounders or a first AND blue chip "A" prospect. Sorry - he's still an UFA next summer and even with his hot streak, he's still a 26 point in 32 game second liner. With his size and defensive ability, that makes for an attractive player but still not a guy the Avs need to go "all in for" just to have him walk in a few months. And his UFA status makes his age pretty irrelevant to the discussion.

I wish the Rangers fan all the luck in the world getting their perceived asking price for their rental...better yet, for their sake, as such a highly prized commodity, I hope they can just re-sign such a key building block. But I really don't see Sakic, who has been utterly patient so far with good results, taking this kind if trade risk if the Rags are wanting the a king's ransom back in a deal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

He is a little streaky but I agree, he would help against the bigger teams. Especially since he can win physical battles and then distribute the puck well to some of the smaller guys like Jost or Compher with good shots. That's something the Avs will need to address either with a big forward in the draft or UFA. Perhaps both.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

That's odd, I can't figure out the difference between Ryan and Fleury. Looking at CapFriendly, they have the same clauses, just with different conditions (10 teams vs 12 teams NTC). So I don't know what's going on there.

In their expansion draft tool, CapFriendly has EJ in the must protect section, so I'm going to just assume that until the rules are clarified again.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
But his price since yesterday in some Rangers' fans eyes has now jumped to ludicrous levels - TWO first rounders or a first AND blue chip "A" prospect. Sorry - he's still an UFA next summer
No sane Rangers fan thinks he’s worth that

He’s going to bring back a 1st + a B prospect. That’s the going rate for players like him at the deadline

Maybe another mid round pick but it won’t be something like 2 1sts

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
No sane Rangers fan thinks he’s worth that

He’s going to bring back a 1st + a B prospect. That’s the going rate for players like him at the deadline

Maybe another mid round pick but it won’t be something like 2 1sts

If Hayes gets dealt, does that end his chances of going back to the Rangers next summer or would that be on the table? He picked the Rangers out of college and I would assume is very comfortable there. Is there anything to stop the Rangers from offering him a competitive long-term deal either now or next summer?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Kerfoot + 2nd would be the highest I'd be willing to go for Hayes. If that doesn't do it oh well. Hope he hits UFA and give him brand endorsements with some local dispensaries.

I think we've sort of established that nobody really wants Kerfoot.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino