Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The Expansion Draft meaning that we really should keep Makar & Kaut for next season kicked the can down the road for us IMO. We're not cup contenders without Cale giving us 6 top 4 blueliners & that 2nd line anchor, so if we need to keep Cale out until next season then there's no major benefit to making a deal now versus the summer...assuming comparable prices & players are available.

That is a fair point, but making the playoffs and maybe making the second round has a lot of value. I know some people could care less about gaining playoff experience, and I don't think you're one of those. I'm just saying it's a factor, and we shouldn't be trying to flip a switch to bring the cup contention light on with one or two moves in the off-season. It does not really work that way IMO.

I really think one player would have a large ripple effect on the entire forward lineup. I mean if we just cloned Soda it would be huge for this roster.

Reactions: cgf and hooverdam

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That is a fair point, but making the playoffs and maybe making the second round has a lot of value. I know some people could care less about gaining playoff experience, and I don't think you're one of those. I'm just saying it's a factor, and we shouldn't be trying to flip a switch to bring the cup contention light on with one or two moves in the off-season. It does not really work that way IMO.

I really think one player would have a large ripple effect on the entire forward lineup. I mean if we just cloned Soda it would be huge for this roster.

I agree with you about the need for playoff seasoning, but with Nemo as a regular I don’t see that 2nd line anchor being enough to get us any further than we can get as is; given that we’re almost guaranteed to face the Jets & Preds in the first two rounds. So I don’t think we’d actually be getting any more playoff experience if we got that guy now versus at the draft.

That said; if Hayes signs his extension on January 15th...or whenever that deadline is...and Gorton will give us Zibby for our 1st, Timmins & Kerf right then & there; then I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger. But only for a long term solution, not just a Hayes (even if he comes with an extension).

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
$5.538M for another five years when he will be 39. No thanks!

While the cap hit is a bit steep, the team has loads of space and by the time Mack is due for a new contract Keith will only have a year left on the deal. I think he would be a huge help on the left side insulating one of the young right handers (Makar, Timmins Meloche). I mean look at how much he has helped shelter Jokiharju this season. I would be okay with moving on from Zadorov for him.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
While the cap hit is a bit steep, the team has loads of space and by the time Mack is due for a new contract Keith will only have a year left on the deal. I think he would be a huge help on the left side insulating one of the young right handers (Makar, Timmins Meloche). I mean look at how much he has helped shelter Jokiharju this season. I would be okay with moving on from Zadorov for him.

Teams like LA and Chicago signed old players to loooooooong contracts as a reward for winning the cup. We should not, under no circonstance, being tempted to take those contracts. Duncan Keith going forward isn't the Duncan Keith that helped them winning cups.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We’re really talking about Mike Hoffman, the guy who is almost universally disliked by his teammates and significant other singlehandedly destroyed the Sens locker room last season? THAT Mike Hoffman??!

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We’re really talking about Mike Hoffman, the guy who is almost universally disliked by his teammates and significant other singlehandedly destroyed the Sens locker room last season? THAT Mike Hoffman??!
Especially last summer, when we were less than a year away from a very cancerous AVS locker room. There's no way in hell we were taking Hoffman even for dirt cheap.

How are the Panthers doing this year BTW?

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
If EJ doesn't turn his game around, you gotta find a way to get rid of that contract. It won't be easy as his M-NVC is a 19 team list he picks (and they have to be willing to trade for him), and you can't expose him in the expansion draft.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If EJ doesn't turn his game around, you gotta find a way to get rid of that contract. It won't be easy as his M-NVC is a 19 team list he picks (and they have to be willing to trade for him), and you can't expose him in the expansion draft.

Are you sure of this? I thought only full NMCs where unexposable?

Although I wouldn’t be shocked if he waived his clause if Seattle was more interested in a younger player that we would be exposing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So Kevin Hayes has 23 points in 31 games. That is a 60 point pace, and the guy is 6'5 216lbs. He would really help us against teams like Nashville, WPG, and STL.

You are talking about two of Kerfoot, Jost, Compher, and Wilson being forced into the bottom six if we just added one player like that.

For the price difference I'm completely on board with trading for that in season.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So Kevin Hayes has 23 points in 31 games. That is a 60 point pace, and the guy is 6'5 216lbs. He would really help us against teams like Nashville, WPG, and STL.

You are talking about two of Kerfoot, Jost, Compher, and Wilson being forced into the bottom six if we just added one player like that.

For the price difference I'm completely on board with trading for that in season.

Agreed. Our 2nd line is too small, period. They get roughed up all the time and it happened again tonight against the Stars. I don't think they'd do well at all in a playoff series.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
He does not fit our core group age, he will be 34 years old January 1st.

Avs are unlikely to go get a 25-28 year old 2nd line center. One, the cost would be too much... and two, they probably cannot afford the attached cap hit long term.

Maybe it is not Carter, but a vet 2nd line player, preferable a center, would be fine. Avs have some forward prospects in the pipeline still as it is, plus the Sens pick is going to deliver a top end prospect, if not the best prospect in a long time.

IMO this is the most open the league has been in a long time for teams in the middle of the pack - in that there are not clear contenders without flaws. If you can take a measured gamble or two this year, you do it. The old guard is dead.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
If he totally spirals, deal with the expansion draft when it comes, then pray the owners bargain for more compliance buyouts in the next lockout.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Cloning cyclops you say? MOOWAHAHAHAHA!

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I seriously wonder if the Pietrangelo could end up being the answer to the Avs never ending search of a legit # 1 defenceman. It is rare for a defenceman as good as him to become available, but it’s also hard to picture the Avs spending assets and not improve the forward group.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
How many times do I have to say it. We’re going to send a pick to Seattle so they have to select someone we choose. We aren’t going to lose any of our top guys.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Teams like LA and Chicago signed old players to loooooooong contracts as a reward for winning the cup. We should not, under no circonstance, being tempted to take those contracts. Duncan Keith going forward isn't the Duncan Keith that helped them winning cups.

Correct, however, Keith's contract was signed before those contracts were given out. We are not talking Brent Seabrook here. Keith is not the same defenseman that he was, however, he is still a top-4 left handed vet that is averaging over 20 minutes a game, is still in outstanding shape, has not had a major injury, and can help shelter the younger defensemen. I personally have grown tired of waiting for Zadorov to turn it on every season, and I think that getting a player that will be a staple in your line up and give you 100% every night is far more valuable.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
That didn’t exactly work well for any of the teams who tried it with Vegas...
Well what would you rather do? Lose a piece of the team that helps us contend or send a draft pick to Seattle. If you lose a key piece and keep your draft pick the player you draft most likely isn’t going to help the team contend for a couple years maybe longer. That necessarily doesn’t help our window very well. Makes more sense to send a pick to have them pick a 3rd liner from us who can be replaced from the system or through free agency.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How many times do I have to say it. We’re going to send a pick to Seattle so they have to select someone we choose. We aren’t going to lose any of our top guys.
Why would Seattle do that though?

If Seattle has a chance at taking a player like Barrie, the only way they don’t take Barrie is if the Avs offer up something just as valuable as Barrie to take someone else. In that case the Avs will just suck it up and lose a good player.

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad