Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hayes is a slightly better and much younger Soda. He is a damn fine hockey player... he's a quality #2C now and probably will be for a few more seasons after this. Then probably regress into a #3C for 3-4 seasons past that. Whether you are okay with that level of player or not is more of the question. To me, if the Avs are going to spend, I'd rather spend big and solve the #2C spot for a decade. But I can see an argument being made to acquire a Hayes level of player and using the Sens pick on a Cozens type to develop. Allowing Hayes to have the #2C spot for the rest of this year and for the next couple seasons, then naturally moving down the lineup when Cozens can move up. That plan does involve paying Hayes ~6.5m per for 5 seasons after this year.

Reactions: cgf and Bender

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
For me, the most important variable in Rantanen's next contract is the length.

If we pay him an AAV of 10M fine. But make it an 8 year deal. Lock this kid up.

Reactions: cgf
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Hayes is a slightly better and much younger Soda. He is a damn fine hockey player... he's a quality #2C now and probably will be for a few more seasons after this. Then probably regress into a #3C for 3-4 seasons past that. Whether you are okay with that level of player or not is more of the question. To me, if the Avs are going to spend, I'd rather spend big and solve the #2C spot for a decade. But I can see an argument being made to acquire a Hayes level of player and using the Sens pick on a Cozens type to develop. Allowing Hayes to have the #2C spot for the rest of this year and for the next couple seasons, then naturally moving down the lineup when Cozens can move up. That plan does involve paying Hayes ~6.5m per for 5 seasons after this year.

I mean my ideal, semi-realistic, situation is that the Avs sign Hayes and draft Kakko with the Sens pick. I'd run Compher-Hayes-Kakko as the second line, they would have a very different look than the 1st and it would be harder for other teams to match up against. Also has the makings of a very strong defensive line.

I just don't think the Avs are going to be able to find a long term solution to the 2C issue unless they luck into Hughes, Kakko becomes comfortable at C, we overpay for one or Jost/Kerfoot finally put it together.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I just don't think the Avs are going to be able to find a long term solution to the 2C issue unless they luck into Hughes, Kakko becomes comfortable at C, we overpay for one or Jost/Kerfoot finally put it together.

The Ottawa pick is their best bet. They could draft someone like Cozens and be able to ease him into the 2C role behind Hayes. I think bringing Hayes definitely has some positives to it, but I’d still like to swing bigger and get an even better C.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I mean my ideal, semi-realistic, situation is that the Avs sign Hayes and draft Kakko with the Sens pick. I'd run Compher-Hayes-Kakko as the second line, they would have a very different look than the 1st and it would be harder for other teams to match up against. Also has the makings of a very strong defensive line.

Personally, I don't see on counting on a top 2 pick to get Kakko or Hughes to center the 2nd line long-term... I think the pick is likely to fall in teh 3-7 range. Right where Dach, Cozens, and Zegras are falling. Those players are probably 3 years out though from being a realistic option at #2C spot. They might surprise and be early, but they could also take a bit longer to reach that level. Hayes would be a stop gap. Now I could see a situation where having Hayes here causes the Avs to go after a winger instead with that pick and go after a Podkolzin, Lavoie, Boldy sort too.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Personally, I don't see on counting on a top 2 pick to get Kakko or Hughes to center the 2nd line long-term... I think the pick is likely to fall in teh 3-7 range. Right where Dach, Cozens, and Zegras are falling. Those players are probably 3 years out though from being a realistic option at #2C spot. They might surprise and be early, but they could also take a bit longer to reach that level. Hayes would be a stop gap. Now I could see a situation where having Hayes here causes the Avs to go after a winger instead with that pick and go after a Podkolzin, Lavoie, Boldy sort too.

Oh, I don't think we'll end up with a Top-2 pick, it's why I said it's a semi-realistic, but also ideal scenario. I'd personally be very happy to get Hayes (assuming it's as a UFA). I think he'd do well behind MacKinnon, and I think Compher would be a really nice compliment to his style.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad