Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Am I the only one thinking this board is far too optimistic in Rantanen's next contract. I'm seeing numbers like 9 and 10 passed around. If he scores what he's on pace to score (I don't think he will but this is hypothetical) how does Mikko not try to make himself the highest paid player in hockey?

He's on pace for 139 points. The most points any active NHL player has scored in. season is 125.

I mean it's a good problem to have, but the fact is if Mikko manages to top 125 points it means he just had a better season than any active player in the league has ever had. That would be following a 84 point season as a sophomore. If things keep moving forward the way they're going now Mikko has no reason not to become the highest paid player in the NHL.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Am I the only one thinking this board is far too optimistic in Rantanen's next contract. I'm seeing numbers like 9 and 10 passed around. If he scores what he's on pace to score (I don't think he will but this is hypothetical) how does Mikko not try to make himself the highest paid player in hockey?

He's on pace for 139 points. The most points any active NHL player has scored in. season is 125.

I mean it's a good problem to have, but the fact is if Mikko manages to top 125 points it means he just had a better season than any active player in the league has ever had. That would be following a 84 point season as a sophomore. If things keep moving forward the way they're going now Mikko has no reason not to become the highest paid player in the NHL.

RFA status has to count for something lol..

I hope..

Reactions: McMetal

Avs44

May 16, 2011

I can see him pushing for $12m...but I do think McDavid is the new cap.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As long as hes willing to extend I'd gladly give up a first and someone not named Timmins/Makar/Bowers. Greer, Meloche (sorry CGF), etc would be fine.

Then I'd try to get a 2nd rounder for Kerflufle in the off-season if possible.
So that's how it is...

giphy.gif

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

If Rantanen sustains his pace I can see him asking for McDavid money ($12.5m) and Avs countering with Draisaitl money ($8.5m). They meet somewhere in the middle at $10.5m.

However, I think Rantanen will cool off a bit. I think he ends up somewhere between $9m and $10m.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I think we're all praying for a Kucherov-esque deal and so just putting it out there.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

While his agent will undoubtedly bring this up, Sakic can retort that scoring this year is WAY up and they can't use it to make him pay like he's Mario Lemieux 2.0. Way too many players are on pace for 100+ pts and tons more are PPG+. If it happened just last year though we'd be in big trouble (relatively speaking). :D

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

True and If he scored those 125 points, he deserves 12 mil a year. I doubt he gets that much, though. He has to slow down at some point, right!?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mikko's gonna get paid big time. Can you imagine if the Avs tried to through out the Pastrnak comparison in negotiations now?

Last edited:

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
I'm assuming that Timmins skating again means we'll see him play for the Eagles on that ELC at some point this season.

Which given his age should prevent it from sliding again...unless I'm mixing something up. And as far as I'm aware the ELC starting this season will be what determines whether a player is ED eligible...like if Makar signs his ELC for this season & plays on it (even in the AHL) then he's eligible, but if he signs his ELC for next season and only signs a PTO to play in the AHL this season he'd be safe.
I think we agree? As long as Timmins plays a game he needs to be protected. If he doesn't play at all, he doesn't need to be. The wording is

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

That doesn't really say much but nowhere in the CBA (which is admittedly different from the expansion draft) does a season with 0 games played count as a professional season... in any case, I don't think this corner case really matters. Timmins will (hopefully) play a game this season, which means he requires protection either way.

The bigger priority it is for the Avalanche to protect Timmins the better it is because it means he's playing and playing well. With Johnson's decline he's easily the 2nd most important prospect in the system. Arguably maybe even the most with Girard and Barrie on the roster.

Edit:
About Rantanen's contract.

Kucherov seems like the closest comparable. Signed during the off season but starts next season. Winger, 3rd in scoring, 4th in PPG, 100 points. Kucherov bought more UFA years and his contract starts next year so it's not like that's any different. Kucherov got 9.5Mx8.

Something around 8.5-9Mx8 seems reasonable.

If Rantanen was a center comparables would be Eichel and McDavid but he's not. If MacKinnon (and McDavid) pass Rantanen in points that would make negotiation easier. 3rd in points, 3rd in PPG, behind one if his linemates. I don't think Rantanen would be able to argue for McDavid money unless Toronto does something stupid with Marner's contract first.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Teams like LA and Chicago signed old players to loooooooong contracts as a reward for winning the cup. We should not, under no circonstance, being tempted to take those contracts. Duncan Keith going forward isn't the Duncan Keith that helped them winning cups.
Fortunately, the eight year windows on all the bottle kids are pretty good.

Eight years on Rantanen after the expiration of his current contract will only go until he's 30

MacKinnon's Current contract plus 8 years will take him until he's 36

Landeskog until he's 37 would be a bit long

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Stats of the two seasons of their ELC's
Draisaitl - 154gp, 122 pts, .79ppg, $8.5m
Eichel - 128 gp, 121 pts, .95ppg, $10m
Rantanen(current) - 114gp, 140pts, 1.23ppg
McDavid - 164gp, 208 pts, 1.27ppg, $12.5m
Rantanen(on-pace) - 163gp, 223pts, 1.36ppg

edit:bad math

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Stats of the two seasons prior to their new contacts kicking in:

I don't think you're helping

Reactions: Tommy G

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
Stats of the two seasons prior to their new contacts kicking in:

Numbers aren't directly comparable because of the higher scoring environment (rule enforcement last year + goalie equipment reduction). Eichel and McDavid are centers.

Rantanen will get 8 figures if he wants but I don't see why he should make more than Kucherov. Kucherov has 113gp, 52g - 95a - 147p, 1.3ppg, $9.5M. Contract starts next year. More UFA years bought because he signed a bridge.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Numbers aren't directly comparable because of the higher scoring environment (rule enforcement last year + goalie equipment reduction). Eichel and McDavid are centers.

Rantanen will get 8 figures if he wants but I don't see why he should make more than Kucherov.
Rantanen will have pretty strong case for 8 figures, and to be honest he's earned it. I don't think his position will affect his salary. It doesn't seem like any of the elite wingers made any less then they could have. Kucherov contract would be a fair comprise for both the team and Rantanen.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I can see him pushing for $12m...but I do think McDavid is the new cap.

Paying him 12 million could possibly sour Nate real fast. I realize Nate is on the best contract in the league but paying Rants double his salary could be implosion. I think he needs to show them numbers on a separate line to justify that salary. I'm not one saying he is a product of MacKinnon because he is dominating with the puck, but he may not ever develop that chemistry with another center.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Paying him 12 million could possibly sour Nate real fast. I realize Nate is on the best contract in the league but paying Rants double his salary could be implosion. I think he needs to show them numbers on a separate line to justify that salary. I'm not one saying he is a product of MacKinnon because he is dominating with the puck, but he may not ever develop that chemistry with another center.

MacK's contract can't be considered regarding the signing of any future player. The contract is a steal, he signed it before he broke out, it is what it is for him. His deal isn't the standard for anyone. If the Avs use the best non-ELC contract in the league as a comparable for any future signings they'll never build a contender.

Reactions: Tommy G

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why are people throwing out comparables for Mikko?

If he continues there literally are no comparables. There hasn’t been a hockey player produce at the rate he’s producing at since the salary cap existed.

Mikko hitting 139 points is quite unlikely, but if it happens he says “The highest contract in the NHL is 12.5 million so I want 13”.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Why are people throwing out comparables for Mikko?

If he continues there literally are no comparables. There hasn’t been a hockey player produce at the rate he’s producing at since the salary cap existed.

Mikko hitting 139 points is quite unlikely, but if it happens he says “The highest contract in the NHL is 12.5 million so I want 13”.
What is the record for most points ever in a NHL season? Would 139 break the record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->