Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would bet there's more quality UFA's available this summer than usual, but it's still a gamble to rely on.

Inflation has set in pretty hard the last couple years and some big contracts were signed recently. That will have a trickle down effect to other players, and teams will find it tougher to re-sign guys.

Plus there's some guys that I think will drive a hard bargain in negotiations like Stone, Panarin, Skinner, and Hayes. I think teams will find it tough to re-sign those guys before they see what the UFA market has to offer.

There's a whole bunch of other guys behind them, and I don't think it's quite clear what the going rate is for many of them. That usually results in a bigger UFA pool with players gambling on themselves. I think we'll see a big game of musical chairs this off-season. Probably the final one before teams start getting nervous about the next CBA and clamp down a bit.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hoffman's situation was exceptional and sure doesn't happen every year. No one here wanted Hoffman in the AVS locker room anyway.
No one? He is a 60 point guy on a good contract, I would have loved it. Better player than Kevin Hayes yet 10 times cheaper to get.

The Avs should be more ambitious. Kevin Hayes is just a decent 2nd liner.

Reactions: Hasbro and Bender

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No one? He is a 60 point guy on a good contract, I would have loved it. Better player than Kevin Hayes yet 10 times cheaper to get.

We could use a decent 2nd liner since we only have one, and hes saddled with two 4th liners. Maybe two or three though depending on how hot Compher and Kerfoot are at the moment.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Just that there’s no reason why a player with a higher cap hit would pose more of a problem to our cap if overpaid by a mil than a smaller contract that’s an overpay by a mil. If both players are worth their contracts if we retained 1M on them, then the more desired player would be the one that has less negative impact on our cap not necessarily the cheaper one.
A larger cap hit will give us less flexibility 100%? I dont see Hayes being worth it for that length.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We could use a decent 2nd liner since we only have one, and hes saddled with two 4th liners. Maybe two or three though depending on how hot Compher and Kerfoot are at the moment.

Are you talking about this season or next year?

Cause ever since I got a positive response on OTT pick + Timmins + conditional 2020 pick; I’ve been having a tough time convincing myself that if Bednar just stuck them together & let them gel for the rest of the season, that a Jost - Jimmothy - Tarasenko line wouldn’t just annihilate 2nd & 3rd pairings next year...when Makar will have replaced Nemeth, Kaut will have replaced Wilson and we’d really be ready to run.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll give Sakic the benefit of the doubt for now, but I'd like to see them make a move if one is possible either before or at the deadline. I imagine prices are a little too high right now, and I think part of that is that everyone is wanting a Duchene-like haul for their veteran players, probably more when it comes to top-pairing defenders.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Can we please get rid of Barrie now? He has been atrocious the last few games and singlehandedly lost us the last 2.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm not one to jump on the Barrie train, but yeah he's been quite bad lately.

Not that we should be trading him now but he definitely has been mediocre

Reactions: Murzu

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I take it you havent watched them then?

Two turnovers vs Edm led to goals and he lost this one in OT.

Oh I've seen 'em. There's also the fact that both goalies were horrendous in the Oilers game, not to mention huge defensive breakdowns that had nothing to do with Barrie.

Also, the team had multiple chances to put this game away, including a full four-minute power play they completely f***ed up. And yes, I know, Barrie was on the ice for those too, but he's not the only guy screwing up the power play right now.

Look, I'm not saying he's playing well, he clearly isn't. But I'm not going as far as to say he "singlehandedly" cost the team both games. There's clearly a lot more going on here than just one guy not carrying his weight. There are several things going wrong right now, and I guarantee you they won't go away if you scratch/trade Barrie before tomorrow's game.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Oh I've seen 'em. There's also the fact that both goalies were horrendous in the Oilers game, not to mention huge defensive breakdowns that had nothing to do with Barrie.

Also, the team had multiple chances to put this game away, including a full four-minute power play they completely ****ed up. And yes, I know, Barrie was on the ice for those too, but he's not the only guy screwing up the power play right now.

Look, I'm not saying he's playing well, he clearly isn't. But I'm not going as far as to say he "singlehandedly" cost the team both games. There's clearly a lot more going on here than just one guy not carrying his weight. There are several things going wrong right now, and I guarantee you they won't go away if you scratch/trade Barrie before tomorrow's game.

Simply put if Barrie wasn't playing in our last two games we win.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

This just isn't true at all.

Hoffman is a little more productive. But he's nowhere near the two-way player Hayes is. Doesn't have the size or physical game Hayes has(Not to say Hayes is particularly physical either but certainly more then Hoffman).

Hoffman is an extremely one-dimensional winger who really adds nothing to a team outside of offensive production. Hayes brings so much more to the table besides points and he's a big Center.

I'd take a ~55 point Hayes over a ~65 point Hoffman any day of the week. Especially factoring in all the locker room baggage Hoffman brings with him.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

There is a reason why Hoffman was cheap. His personal life caused a deep divide between the players in the locker room. While Hoffman himself may be a good player he might not have positive results on the team. I'm glad the Avs didn't take that risk.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
There is a reason why Hoffman was cheap. His personal life caused a deep divide between the players in the locker room. While Hoffman himself may be a good player he might not have positive results on the team. I'm glad the Avs didn't take that risk.
It was a risk but in my mind a risk worth taking. Obviously you talk to him and make it perfectly clear that if his gf starts any bs then he will go on waivers. Hoffman would have been the Avs 4th best forward and costed something like a 3rd round pick and a cap dump at most. To me that is massively better than giving a 1st rounder+ something for Hayes.

This just isn't true at all.

Hoffman is a little more productive. But he's nowhere near the two-way player Hayes is. Doesn't have the size or physical game Hayes has(Not to say Hayes is particularly physical either but certainly more then Hoffman).

Hoffman is an extremely one-dimensional winger who really adds nothing to a team outside of offensive production. Hayes brings so much more to the table besides points and he's a big Center.

I'd take a ~55 point Hayes over a ~65 point Hoffman any day of the week. Especially factoring in all the locker room baggage Hoffman brings with him.
Is Hayes really a 55 point player? His career high is 49 points but maybe he tops that this year. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a contract year, I would be very cautious when it comes to handing out a big contract to him based on this years performance. I prefer Hoffman tbh.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hoffman himself is an issue. His girlfriend probably just magnifys it. I know nothing about his gf other than the rumors put out by media but I know for a fact Hoffman doesn’t have a lot of friends.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Hoffman himself is an issue. His girlfriend probably just magnifys it. I know nothing about his gf other than the rumors put out by media but I know for a fact Hoffman doesn’t have a lot of friends.
If even a fraction of what was reported about her was true she is a cancer to any organization imo. That stuff about his girlfriend tweeting about Karlsons wifes miscarriage was appalling.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Are you talking about this season or next year?

Cause ever since I got a positive response on OTT pick + Timmins + conditional 2020 pick; I’ve been having a tough time convincing myself that if Bednar just stuck them together & let them gel for the rest of the season, that a Jost - Jimmothy - Tarasenko line wouldn’t just annihilate 2nd & 3rd pairings next year...when Makar will have replaced Nemeth, Kaut will have replaced Wilson and we’d really be ready to run.

I've always maintained that I would prefer they do something this season, but I know it's difficult.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've always maintained that I would prefer they do something this season, but I know it's difficult.

The Expansion Draft meaning that we really should keep Makar & Kaut for next season kicked the can down the road for us IMO. We're not cup contenders without Cale giving us 6 top 4 blueliners & that 2nd line anchor, so if we need to keep Cale out until next season then there's no major benefit to making a deal now versus the summer...assuming comparable prices & players are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad