Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
MacK's contract can't be considered regarding the signing of any future player. The contract is a steal, he signed it before he broke out, it is what it is for him. His deal isn't the standard for anyone. If the Avs use the best non-ELC contract in the league as a comparable for any future signings they'll never build a contender.

You missed my point. I am not disputing what you stated.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What is the record for most points ever in a NHL season? Would 139 break the record?
I assume there’s some kind of joke I’m missing here or something but Mario Lemiuex was the last to do it 23 years ago.

The oldest active player in the NHL was drafted following that season.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I assume there’s some kind of joke I’m missing here or something but Mario Lemiuex was the last to do it 23 years ago.

The oldest active player in the NHL was drafted following that season.
Not a joke, I legitimately didnt know what the record was. I looked it up and it only showed the top 50 but no one has broken 129 (that is as far as it goes) since 95-96 which actually had Jagr with 149 and Lemieux with 161

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Paying him 12 million could possibly sour Nate real fast. I realize Nate is on the best contract in the league but paying Rants double his salary could be implosion. I think he needs to show them numbers on a separate line to justify that salary. I'm not one saying he is a product of MacKinnon because he is dominating with the puck, but he may not ever develop that chemistry with another center.
I don't think MacK cares much about money. The deal was a good one even the day it was signed, before he broke out. I think he just wants to win.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I don't think MacK cares much about money. The deal was a good one even the day it was signed, before he broke out. I think he just wants to win.
Agreed, I saw an interview where he said he was happy with what he got and that he still makes a lot of money to play hockey. MacK didn't come across as someone who would throw shade for someone else getting more money. At least that is what I got out of that interview

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Rantanen’s contract will likely be at the mercy of what Toronto does with its guys.

Rantanen can point to either Matthew’s or Marner’s contract and say, I should get at least what they’re getting.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why are people throwing out comparables for Mikko?

If he continues there literally are no comparables. There hasn’t been a hockey player produce at the rate he’s producing at since the salary cap existed.

Mikko hitting 139 points is quite unlikely, but if it happens he says “The highest contract in the NHL is 12.5 million so I want 13”.

Here's the thing, while it's technically true you need to put it in context to get the whole picture. Mack would also be in the "since Jagr in 96" category with 129 pts.

The truth is, there are 13 players on pace for 100+ pts this year. Landy is 14th in PPG and projects at 99 pts.

You can't use the previous years and say "well I want more than McDavid since I'm obviously better than anyone who played in the last 2 decades". Everyone is better offensively. Ovi is on pace for 70+ goals, I don't think he's that much better than he has been in the previous 13 years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Cups I tells ya, cups!!!

Landy - MacK - Rantanen
Jost - Compher - Tarasenko
Calvert - Soderberg - Nieto
Kerfoot - Kamenev - Kaut
( Greer | Shvyry / Bowers )

Girard - EJ*
Zads - Barrie
Cole - Makar
( Meloche* )

Grubauer
Francouz
( Werner )

Rantanen
MacK - Landeskog - Tank
Barrie

Soderberg (Kaut)
Makar - Compher - Jost
Girard

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Mackinnon will pass Mikko in points. That’s just the facts. In doing so he’ll be able to show Mikko isn’t the best player in the last twenty years but a great young talent on the best line in hockey.

To me I’d be shocked to see over 9 AAV

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Rantanen’s contract will likely be at the mercy of what Toronto does with its guys.

Rantanen can point to either Matthew’s or Marner’s contract and say, I should get at least what they’re getting.
Maybe Mikko signs first and lowers the market. If Mikko finishes tops the NHL and say he signed a bargain price of 10 mill AAV. Can Matthews and Marner ask for 12 million? Alot of dream world stuff I know but just thinking.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mackinnon will pass Mikko in points. That’s just the facts. In doing so he’ll be able to show Mikko isn’t the best player in the last twenty years but a great young talent on the best line in hockey.

To me I’d be shocked to see over 9 AAV

Prepare to be shocked. That's ridiculous to think he's getting 9 or less with the season he's having and the year he just had.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
That makes sense, but it's going to be extremely hard to find a team willing to give up a 1B/high end #2C. The best way to find a center that good is usually through the draft.

That is why the OTT pick shouldn't be used to trade for a winger when there are many center prospects in the top 10.

Reactions: Waingro and Tommy G

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
No one? He is a 60 point guy on a good contract, I would have loved it. Better player than Kevin Hayes yet 10 times cheaper to get.

The Avs should be more ambitious. Kevin Hayes is just a decent 2nd liner.

So much this....

Hayes is having a great year as well. There's probably some concern about whether it's because of the contract year or not but still I think he'd be a solid deadline target at the right price. Colorado 1st + another lesser piece.

Wonder would Colorado 1st + Lewis + Andrighetto get it done.

You would think that Avs management and fans would be a little more weary about a guy 'with size, that's only 26 and that's finally coming into his own' playing above expectations in a contract year.

Joe Colborne was a HUGE miss...thankfully, he was only signed for 2 years. Imagine giving up significant assets + signing Hayes long-term and then having him revert to a 40-45 point player making $6M+ per year for 5-6 years? Fun wow. [I'd imagine that deep down, that's the true reason why the NYR aren't likely re-signing him]

I understand fans' perception of the immediate needs on our 2nd line in our lineup but we are after almost half the season, AS IS a top 10 club in the NHL and I don't get being fine with gambling on Kevin Hayes 'breakout season' being the norm going forward.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
IMHO the Avs are not a the point where they should trade young players/picks for short term upgrades. They need to show that they know how to win first and develop their killer instinct. Depending on how the rest of the season looks, maybe this summer would be the time to make a move.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
IMHO the Avs are not a the point where they should trade young players/picks for short term upgrades. They need to show that they know how to win first and develop their killer instinct. Depending on how the rest of the season looks, maybe this summer would be the time to make a move.
Something has to happen this summer. We are wasting the best line in hockey if no improvements are made.

Reactions: Vaslof and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Agreed. They need to trade young players/picks for a long term solution by the end of the summer. That way we’d have a chance to show they can win in the playoffs.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Why on Earth does anyone want Hayes? He is a mediocre 2/3C. He is Tyler Bozak 2.0. He gives you 45-50ish points and will demand a huge contract. Stay away at all costs.

Not to mention you'd probably over play to acquire him. We are best off just waiting and seeing how the draft lottery plays out.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Why on Earth does anyone want Hayes? He is a mediocre 2/3C. He is Tyler Bozak 2.0. He gives you 45-50ish points and will demand a huge contract. Stay away at all costs.

Not to mention you'd probably over play to acquire him. We are best off just waiting and seeing how the draft lottery plays out.
I'm with you , why Hayes !!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I don't think he's good enough to dip into our asset pool in a trade & paying him over 6M a year would make me a little anxious, but how much have you watched him play this season & last chet? He's turned himself into a good 2C who'd be a great 3C when Soda leaves if the OTT pick can surpass Hayes at Center by then.

For a fanbase that loves to play the "eastcoast media never watches us play" card, we sure do like to drop hot takes about east coast players that we never watch.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Joe Colborne was a HUGE miss...thankfully, he was only signed for 2 years. Imagine giving up significant assets + signing Hayes long-term and then having him revert to a 40-45 point player making $6M+ per year for 5-6 years? Fun wow. [I'd imagine that deep down, that's the true reason why the NYR aren't likely re-signing him]

I understand fans' perception of the immediate needs on our 2nd line in our lineup but we are after almost half the season, AS IS a top 10 club in the NHL and I don't get being fine with gambling on Kevin Hayes 'breakout season' being the norm going forward.

Wellllll hold up...let's not compare Colborne to Hayes. Colborne came with a ton of red flags...people knew he was as soft as warm butter and not very fast. And what's worse, the Avs for some strange reason did not do a proper job of evaluating what they already had before signing him, otherwise they would've realized they already had a younger, even less dynamic version of Colborne in Grigorenko. That was the biggest issue with their offseason acquisitions in 2016. Those players were okay pickups by themselves, it's just that they did nothing to complement the already slow-and-soft roster that was already there. In fact, they made it much, much worse.

I'm not saying getting Hayes is a no-brainer. There are red flags for sure, and if Gorton is demanding sky-high prices, then Joe should wait him out. But I think there are different circumstances at play here. Now the Avs are talented, young, and fast, three things they weren't two years ago. They definitely need a big, strong presence in the top six. So if they're not gonna go for Hayes, and if they're just convinced that Carl Soderberg is a 3rd line checking center and nothing more, then they need to find another way to address it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don't think he's good enough to dip into our asset pool in a trade & paying him over 6M a year would make me a little anxious, but how much have you watched him play this season & last chet? He's turned himself into a good 2C who'd be a great 3C when Soda leaves if the OTT pick can surpass Hayes at Center by then.

For a fanbase that loves to play the "eastcoast media never watches us play" card, we sure do like to drop hot takes about east coast players that we never watch.

This! Hayes is a beast defensively and is starting to put up bigger offensive numbers (dating back to Jan 2018 - 54 points in 70 GP), despite mostly defensive zone starts.

There is no question he’s a second line player, as he’s been playing like a (lower end) first line player for the last calendar year.

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Wellllll hold up...let's not compare Colborne to Hayes. Colborne came with a ton of red flags...people knew he was as soft as warm butter and not very fast. And what's worse, the Avs for some strange reason did not do a proper job of evaluating what they already had before signing him, otherwise they would've realized they already had a younger, even less dynamic version of Colborne in Grigorenko. That was the biggest issue with their offseason acquisitions in 2016. Those players were okay pickups by themselves, it's just that they did nothing to complement the already slow-and-soft roster that was already there. In fact, they made it much, much worse.

I'm not saying getting Hayes is a no-brainer. There are red flags for sure, and if Gorton is demanding sky-high prices, then Joe should wait him out. But I think there are different circumstances at play here. Now the Avs are talented, young, and fast, three things they weren't two years ago. They definitely need a big, strong presence in the top six. So if they're not gonna go for Hayes, and if they're just convinced that Carl Soderberg is a 3rd line checking center and nothing more, then they need to find another way to address it.

Agreed. Not to mention the Avs paid Colborne third liner money ($2.5m annually) on a modest two-year deal.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
This! Hayes is a beast defensively and is starting to put up bigger offensive numbers (dating back to Jan 2018 - 54 points in 70 GP), despite mostly defensive zone starts.

There is no question he’s a second line player, as he’s been playing like a (lower end) first line player for the last calendar year.

I'm in the same boat. If Hayes was strictly just an offensive player I'd be hesitant to target him. But he has developed very well defensively as well, and while he's not Lindros out there he does have size and strength that few players on our roster can bring. The comparables to Colborne are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad