Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Gary Bettman reveals the options being looked at for the 2020-21 NHL season | TradeRumours.com

"GARY BETTMAN REVEALS THE OPTIONS BEING LOOKED AT FOR THE 2020-21 NHL SEASON

Since the Tampa Bay Lightning won the 2020 Stanley Cup inside the NHL bubble near the end of September, there's been plenty of speculation on what next season could look like amidst a global pandemic. For the first time, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman is publicly discussing what options are being considered.

In an interview with NHL.com, Bettman said the idea of temporary hubs is being explored.

"You'll play for 10 to 12 days. You'll play a bunch of games without traveling. You'll go back, go home for a week, be with your family. We'll have our testing protocols and all the other things you need," said Bettman.

"It's not going to be quite as effective as a bubble, but we think we can, if we go this route, minimize the risks to the extent practical and sensible. And so that's one of the things that we're talking about."

Unfortunately, Bettman admitted the ban on non-essential travel between Canada and the U.S. will pose a problem.

Obviously, we're not going to move all seven Canadian franchises south of the 49th Parallel, and so we have to look at alternative ways to play," Bettman said. "And while crossing the U.S.-Canadian border is an issue, we're also seeing within the United States limitations in terms of quarantining when you go from certain states to other states. It's again part of having to be flexible."

The Commissioner also stated the realignment of divisions in on the table.

"It may be that we're better off, particularly if we're playing a reduced schedule, which we're contemplating, keeping it geographically centric, more divisional based, and realigning, again on a temporary basis, to deal with the travel issues."

Bettman insisted the NHL is still targeting January 1st for the start of the 2020-21 season. He also stressed that how the season starts is not necessarily how it will finish, and everything depends on how the COVID-19 situation evolves."

"The last question asked (25) players to list the team they thought would be better in 2020-21 given the moves they've made so far. Montreal got the most votes with six, followed by Buffalo (4), Colorado (4), Detroit (3), Toronto (3), Vegas (3) and Washinton (2). As for which teams got worse, Chicago took the top spot, followed by Arizona and Vancouver."

Last edited:
Reactions: Konnan511

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-11-12_21-23-0.png

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Latest rumor mill, including Bobby Ryan talking about why he chose Detroit and Tampa's cap crunch:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-november-13-2020/

Ryan explained:
"I knew that I needed to prove there is still some high-end hockey in me. I didn’t want to go somewhere and immediately be a third- or fourth-line guy. I still think I can play in the top six to nine. Steve made it clear I can earn that there."

Ryan said that Yzerman also was honest about what could happen at the trade deadline and if Ryan played well, the team would be completely ok with moving him to a contender if teams inquired about a trade at that time.

"TVA Sports also notes that the Tampa Bay Lightning are likely to make two pretty significant trades here in the next few weeks. The Stanley Cup champions will have to part with “two good players and more,” Renaud Lavoie said in his daily column on the JiC show on Thursday.

"Saying they are the team in the most trouble, Lavoie was told the Lightning believe they can sort things out by the start of training camps but will have to part with the players and give up something more. “We will be forced to add draft picks or even young prospects."

"Lavoie believes the New Jersey Devils, Los Angeles Kings or Nashville Predators are the teams that the Lightning will end up working with."

Get in there, Stevie!​

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Anyone else see Colorado is changing their pants/gloves/helmets from black to blue? Here's a mockup:

3MROOOE.png

I'm not a fan - I think the black is much better looking.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Anyone else see Colorado is changing their pants/gloves/helmets from black to blue? Here's a mockup:

3MROOOE.png

I like colors. Way way way too many teams defaulted to black lids and pants - for good reason, it looks good.

But colors, even if not the best overall look, are distinct. And I far prefer that when watching.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

3MROOOE.png

I like the black better too. The blue blends in too well with the rocky mountain motif of the waist stripe.

Girard looks like he just got wedgied.:laugh:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The blue for the Avs looks great on the home jersey, but since the away barely has any blue that is going to look really bad.

If they incorporate more blue into the away then it may work. But as it stands they look like they aren't wearing the right jersey.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Latest rumor mill, including Bobby Ryan talking about why he chose Detroit and Tampa's cap crunch:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-november-13-2020/

Ryan explained:
"I knew that I needed to prove there is still some high-end hockey in me. I didn’t want to go somewhere and immediately be a third- or fourth-line guy. I still think I can play in the top six to nine. Steve made it clear I can earn that there."

Ryan said that Yzerman also was honest about what could happen at the trade deadline and if Ryan played well, the team would be completely ok with moving him to a contender if teams inquired about a trade at that time.

"TVA Sports also notes that the Tampa Bay Lightning are likely to make two pretty significant trades here in the next few weeks. The Stanley Cup champions will have to part with “two good players and more,” Renaud Lavoie said in his daily column on the JiC show on Thursday.

"Saying they are the team in the most trouble, Lavoie was told the Lightning believe they can sort things out by the start of training camps but will have to part with the players and give up something more. “We will be forced to add draft picks or even young prospects."

"Lavoie believes the New Jersey Devils, Los Angeles Kings or Nashville Predators are the teams that the Lightning will end up working with."

Get in there, Stevie!​

That Stevie has spent a lot of the off-season ignoring the guys they seemingly want to (I know some of them are being forced out by the cap) unload is interesting to me. He knows them well, he knows how they could help and even signed most of the guys shopping to those contracts. Yet Yzerman seems unwilling to look at them. We will see, maybe Erne is hurting this for a few of them. The just give them a bigger role part might not be what he is thinking on a few.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The blue for the Avs looks great on the home jersey, but since the away barely has any blue that is going to look really bad.

If they incorporate more blue into the away then it may work. But as it stands they look like they aren't wearing the right jersey.

I don't know why they didn't just switch the black to that maroon color they have.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't know why they didn't just switch the black to that maroon color they have.
If anything they should at least make the pants or helmet/gloves burgundy. Go the Rangers way and offset the colors, even make the gloves mixed.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Boychuk did the Isles a solid and retired.
Had 2 years left at $6M a year
At his best in Boston, he was one of my favorite players in the league.

I would have taken Boychuk for a first or second + a prospect (Wilde, Bolduc.
I'd love Seider to learn from a guy like that.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
TBL sign Sergachev 3yrs @ $4.8, with Cirelli & Cernak still to be signed. Wonder which team(s) takes Killorn & possibly 1 of: Gourde/TJ. Even if/after they get Cirelli & Cernak signed they'd only have a 21 man roster MINUS any players they traded/waived from the roster.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

tampa_bay_lightning.svg

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $83,404,166

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $1,904,166

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $0 ($0
q.svg