Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I was surprised too, but with fights video vs. often blocked content (SI/THN) I'm not too surprised, just disappointed....which segues into HBuzz (Eklund)= Fake News outsells a good portion of real news.

Remember these? Perfect size, had a subscription for several years, still have 'em boxed up.
View attachment 451580

Hockey Digest was the mini magazine, right? If so, I remember picking up a couple issues back in the day. The articles I remember were a prospect profile for Petr Sykora when he played for the Albany River Rats. I also remember a "Who's better?" article that would debate the merits of two similar positional players.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Hockey Digest was the mini magazine, right? If so, I remember picking up a couple issues back in the day. The articles I remember were a prospect profile for Petr Sykora when he played for the Albany River Rats. I also remember a "Who's better?" article that would debate the merits of two similar positional players.
Yes, the pocket mag, for folks on the go. Similar to Boomer's Reader's Digest, but with 1/2 the content (fiction vs. fact/articles). We traded our own '97 drafted Petr Sykora to get Doug Brownov back from the Preds in their ED.

He also played with Dom (1gp) in Pardubice, Czech.

6'3" 233lb. LH-C played '96-'19, just couldn't hack the NHL apparently. Petr Sykora (b.1978) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
In case you missed the tragic news reported earlier today, 24 year old Columbus Blue Jackets netminder Matiss Kivlenieks died Sunday evening after a horrific fireworks accident in Novi, a suburb of Detroit.
An autopsy revealed that Kivlenieks died from "fireworks mortar, chest trauma" in a celebration gone horrendously wrong. Initial reports were that Kivlenieks sustained a head injury from fleeing the fireworks, but coroner reports refute that saying that there was no sign of head trauma or external injuries.
“There wasn’t a lot of external damage," Novi Police Lt. Jason Meier reported. "He had massive internal damage, so we’re working under the theory that it was the concussive blast of the firework.”
“We are shocked and saddened by the loss of Matiss Kivlenieks, and we extend our deepest sympathies to his mother, Astrida, his family and friends during this devastating time,” Blue Jackets President of Hockey Operations John Davidson said in the statement. “Kivi was an outstanding young man who greeted every day and everyone with a smile, and the impact he had during his four years with our organization will not be forgotten.”
Police reports indicate Kivlenieks was at a large 4th of July celebration at the home of Blue Jackets goaltending coach and former NHL goaltender Manny Legace's home in Novi, Michigan. Police and emergency responders were alerted at 10:15pm and arrived within five minutes but were unable to save Kivlenieks' young life.
Kivlenieks and Blue Jackets goaltender and fellow Latvian Elvis Merzlikins were reportedly at the party together. Being so close in age and cultural background the two were great friends. I can't imagine how Merzlikins must feel today.
“‘Kivi’ was the nicest person and always had a smile on his face,” Blue Jackets forward Cam Atkinson said earlier today. “He never, ever complained and would do anything for anybody. It was easy to root for a guy like ‘Kivi’ and a privilege to be his teammate. He will be greatly and sorely missed, but never forgotten. My condolences to his mom, family and everyone who loved him.”
"The National Hockey League was saddened to learn of the sudden and tragic passing of goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a prepared statement earlier today. “On behalf of the NHL family, we extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates in both the Blue Jackets organization and his native country of Latvia. His love for life and passion for the game will be deeply missed by all those who have been fortunate to have him as a teammate and a friend.”
Share on Facebook
The Columbus Dispatch · Photo Credit: Zuma Press

Rumblings of a big trade brewing between the Blackhawks and Oilers.

Jonathan Toews under fire after revealing health issues!

Report: Maple Leafs about to make huge mistake in between the pipes

Rumour: Cheap Dundon planning offer sheet revenge on Canadiens!

Cassie Campbell-Pascall reportedly leaving Sportsnet/CBC, headed to the U.S.

Bettman finally addresses the elephant in the room: Jersey advertisements

Steve Yzerman makes a bold move, hires former rival to join coaching staff

Frederik Andersen sets his price in free agency, Leafs fans are in shock

Canadian government may once again deny the Lightning their special moment.

Shocking reports indicate Blue Jackets' goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks has died.

Rumor: Another Rogers personality fired after insensitive comments during Canadian holiday.

Police release new details on the passing of goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks.

Disturbing new details in Matiss Kivlenieks' autopsy.

Not sure if you intended on all those links but thanks. I found this one funny, ironic and a "warning" to make the series a foregone conclusion.

Canadian government may once again deny the Lightning their special moment.

On Saturday Tampa Bay Lightning insider Joe Smith reported that, in spite of the fact that Game 4 could be a series clinching game, the National Hockey League and the Lightning have been unable to secure special exemptions for family members of the players to travel to Canada for the game. This means that should the Lightning capture the Stanley Cup for the second straight year on Monday, they will also celebrate without their loved ones on hand for the second straight year as well.

The Lightning's last championship title came inside of the NHL's bubble in Toronto and like in this scenario the Lightning were unable to have members of their families attend the big moment. That bubble experience proved to be particularly difficult for some members of that organization, most notably captain Steven Stamkos, and after another difficult season under the NHL's covid protocols it would have been nice to see the Lightning receive their just reward for all their hard work should they manage to triumph in Game 4.

2021 NHL Playoffs: Stanley Cup Final schedule, scores, bracket, standings, games, TV channels
Another tough break for the Lightning.

One only needed to watch game 4 to get a chuckle at of the hypocrisy, or is it gamesmanship, with the government? The Habs/govt did limit attendance INSIDE but NOT OUTSIDE. Should to shoulder no masks, huge screens, yelling cheering, etc. That crowd appeared larger outside than the 10500 allowed to enter. Game ends, lets call it a celly. ;)

That said the Tampa Mayor talking about "letting the habs win a game" so they can celebrate in Tampa. He got his wish but the TB players did not. That's just stupid. 0-0 after one. Really hope the Habs win, pull even back in the Covid bubble and we have a game 7 in Florida, just ofr the sport of it, but also to see how many Habs fans end up in Montreal! LOL!

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Matiss Kivlenieks - A terrible tragedy. I have ZERO clue what happened but the reports are sure making it look fishy. I have to wonder if some knucklehead didn't grab the mortar and start firing it at people. Oh, they do it. You see those videos every year.

Reactions: Winger98

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Now that the season is finally over. We can finally get hyped for the offseason! Let the chaos begin!!!!!!

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I know that it is dumb to get annoyed at a stupid promo video, but I swear that NBC wants to pretend the 2008 cup finals never happened. They ignored it completely other than showing a handshake moment between Crosby and...Kirk Maltby, not to mention the wonderful Sykora overtime goal against Detroit. No mention of the first European to captain an NHL team to the Stanley Cup, but mention of Fleury wanting to make a big save in the finals (and he did it against the Wings, yaaaay!). No mention of the Conn Smythe shift as a little anecdote. Nothing.

Good riddance, NBC. You were a significant step down from your predecessor and set a low bar for your successor.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Good riddance, NBC. You were a significant step down from your predecessor and set a low bar for your successor.
Other than the draft and free agency, this summer I'm most excited to get concrete details about what games will be on each facet of the new ESPN platforms. Assuming ESPN+ will indeed carry the majority of out of market games, I look forward to actually watching hockey again for $60/yr plus a VPN instead of the ridiculous fees of the RSNs. That's a win even if the quality of coverage isn't any better, but I expect there will be at least a minor boost in that department as well.

It's a small bummer that this route wouldn't include the Pistons or Tigers, but I'll gladly enjoy league wide NHL games as Seider makes his debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad