Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There are some fans who are arguing that Howe played in an era that was not as tough on the body as Marleau.

I am quite surprised that anyone who follows hockey would think to say something so moronic.

That is the dumbest thing anyone could ever mutter. First, players back then were in much worse shape than now and still went through the NHL grind. Second, guys were trying to tear each other apart all night long back then, making todays game look like nerf hockey.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You have to factor in Marleau has been playing 82 game seasons compared to Gordie's, what...60 game seasons? Not taking anything away from Marleau, it's still a hell of a feat, but he essentially had to play 4 seasons to Howe's 5 to match the amount of games.

The game was on a whole another level physically back then. They didn't have the training of now, so after 60 games, they would have been beat.

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
Shame this forum doesn't have a meme thread or anything, Wasn't sure where I should post this gem so going to leave it here.

121100118_2817762661801169_861287274089015385_n (1).png

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton is gonna look weird in a Leafs jersey.

Also I was today years old when I found out Gary Thorne, the voice of a bunch of iconic Red Wings goals, called bowling back in the day.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Thornton is gonna look weird in a Leafs jersey.

Also I was today years old when I found out Gary Thorne, the voice of a bunch of iconic Red Wings goals, called bowling back in the day.

Working on my blank verse really ties the quarantine together:

Gary Thorn,
Big Ern,
The Dude.
Open bar,
In-N-Out,
comfy chair.
This is not ‘nam,
this is heaven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
kinda OT, just interesting, from Dobber.

Phillip Danault

This is a player who is known almost exclusively for his defensive prowess, but he has more 5-on-5 points over the last two years than Elias Pettersson, Mathew Barzal, or Sebastian Aho. It really is curious that with Danault being such a great passer that Montreal's power play has been so bad (he hasn't been featured much, is one issue, as described above).

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Draft lottery, free agency dominate NHL GMs' meeting - TSN.ca

"There was lengthy discussion on the Draft Lottery formula, which may be up for a tweak for the second time in six years. There is no question that the Detroit Red Wings left July’s Draft Lottery with a sour taste in their mouth. Detroit finished with 24 fewer points than any other team and - like every last place team since 2015 - had an 80 per cent shot to fall to the fourth overall pick."

No kidding. Now fix the stupid thing. If they're going to insist on keeping a lottery at all, change it into something like just the bottom 5 teams, and you can't drop more than 1 spot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Draft lottery, free agency dominate NHL GMs' meeting - TSN.ca

"There was lengthy discussion on the Draft Lottery formula, which may be up for a tweak for the second time in six years. There is no question that the Detroit Red Wings left July’s Draft Lottery with a sour taste in their mouth. Detroit finished with 24 fewer points than any other team and - like every last place team since 2015 - had an 80 per cent shot to fall to the fourth overall pick."

No kidding. Now fix the stupid thing. If they're going to insist on keeping a lottery at all, change it into something like just the bottom 5 teams, and you can't drop more than 1 spot.

I had zero issues with you have one winner that moves up five spots. It is still a reward odds are in most years a fan-base will be really excited and all the lottery teams will watch your show. But it is actually in line with the parody the league champions to give the worst teams a better shot at improving. We will see what happens. That they discussed going back to this in May gives me hope the league will do it soon. Ultimately I feel like we are making this argument so some other team gets their Byfield, but so be it, this stupidity needs to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad