Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I had zero issues with you have one winner that moves up five spots. It is still a reward odds are in most years a fan-base will be really excited and all the lottery teams will watch your show. But it is actually in line with the parody the league champions to give the worst teams a better shot at improving. We will see what happens. That they discussed going back to this in May gives me hope the league will do it soon. Ultimately I feel like we are making this argument so some other team gets their Byfield, but so be it, this stupidity needs to change.
I'm also hoping for a scenario where Detroit finishes last, and the top 3 are all centers or defensemen.

Go ahead! Drop me one slot... I'll still take a cornerstone. :thumbu:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I had zero issues with you have one winner that moves up five spots. It is still a reward odds are in most years a fan-base will be really excited and all the lottery teams will watch your show. But it is actually in line with the parody the league champions to give the worst teams a better shot at improving. We will see what happens. That they discussed going back to this in May gives me hope the league will do it soon. Ultimately I feel like we are making this argument so some other team gets their Byfield, but so be it, this stupidity needs to change.

Ultimately, the Universal Laws still apply, the Hockey Gods will smile on us again. (we may not even realize it at the time or ever though).

Reactions: mantha39

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The B's will drop in the standings, possibly to the 5-8th seed. Reason being:

1. Pasta & Marchy both had surgeries mid-Sept & aren't due back 'til mid-Jan & mid-Feb...with the nature of their injuries they were NOT able to Train at all after the surgeries. So they'll easily take guesstimating ~4weeks to get upto speed (2wks training camp + 2 wks offseason training) EACH. So really mid-Feb & mid-March is when they'll be closer to their normal selves, at Best.

For a potentially shortened 60gp ? season, that could even be the difference b/w playoffs or not. Possibly no Chara too.

2. loss of Krug is huge, especially for a team that relies on it's PP so much. Should've signed Shatty for cheap.

3. Bergeron & Krejci will be 35.5 & 34.7 when the season starts... long in the tooth. Kase, C.Smith were good recent additions & bolster the offense a bit. As of now they only have 2 Top 4 Dmen, with Grzelcyk making a case as a #4/5 playing on the top pairing w/Mc. It'll be fun to watch them get destroyed.

Last edited:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
For all the Star Wars and hockey fans out there, do hockey fans ever use "he has a worse shot than a storm trooper"? :laugh:

In my sports fan world that's mostly used in the context of watching basketball but perhaps that might come in handy the next time we watch Darren Helm play. :sarcasm:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
TSN article on possible temporary divisions:

Yost: Redrawing the rest of the NHL around an all-Canadian division - TSN.ca

upload_2020-10-29_14-54-35.png

It makes sense to draw something up based on travel, but talk about handing Pittsburgh a division title...

Reactions: FabricDetails

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Coyotes prospect got his rights denounced. What an idiot.

So much winning for the Coyotes this off-season.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Coyotes prospect got his rights denounced. What an idiot.

So much winning for the Coyotes this off-season.

The Coyotes are a gongshow, it’s not like that whole situation was a secret. Did they really not expect some backlash? Before drafting that jagoff Arizona better have done their due diligence regarding his past and present self. Not saying it is the wrong thing to do, but cutting him loose makes their management look even more inept, if that’s possible.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Oh man, R.I.P. Travis Roy. For those unfamiliar; he suffered a spinal cord injury 11 seconds into his first shift for B.U. I still remember clearly when that horrible event happened. After that he was wheel chair bound but still tirelessly dedicated himself to helping others through spinal chord injuries. Travis was great part of the hockey community.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The Coyotes are a gongshow, it’s not like that whole situation was a secret. Did they really not expect some backlash? Before drafting that jagoff Arizona better have done their due diligence regarding his past and present self. Not saying it is the wrong thing to do, but cutting him loose makes their management look even more inept, if that’s possible.

yeah it hasn't even been a month yet

if they're gonna give up on the guy so easily why draft him at all in the first place

Reactions: Filppula and Oddbob

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
yeah it hasn't even been a month yet

if they're gonna give up on the guy so easily why draft him at all in the first place

I believe the Coyotes wanted to keep him and that they only cared about what he did to the extent in which it affected their public image. As further details became public they simply no longer wanted to deal with the negative publicity.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Oh man, R.I.P. Travis Roy. For those unfamiliar; he suffered a spinal cord injury 11 seconds into his first shift for B.U. I still remember clearly when that horrible event happened. After that he was wheel chair bound but still tirelessly dedicated himself to helping others through spinal chord injuries. Travis was great part of the hockey community.
He stated he had "passion" the 1st half of his life & "purpose" the 2nd half & considered himself lucky to have experienced both...that's pretty uplifting!

He spent the last ~25yrs lecturing on positivity etc.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Really curious what that will be like for a hockey player to come back from and how it will affect his shot. In baseball a labral tear seems to be a pretty high hurdle for guys (pitchers, especially) to come back from.
Good thing he's more of a playmaker. Hope he makes a full recovery. CBJ may circle back on Hoffman now, as they had interest prior to this.

Reactions: Winger98

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
How Efficient Are The Wings?

Blog: Abel to Yzerman By Paul
11/06/20 at 08:37 AM ET | Comments (1)
from Dom Luszczyszyn of The Athletic,
Now it’s time to look at everybody else, grading each team’s total contract efficiency.
Like last year, each team is graded based on the same methodology in an attempt to measure which teams are most efficient with the money they spend. The contracts being graded are every healthy, non-ELC skater that my model has a projection for, as well as any dead money a team has on their cap via buyouts, salary retention and cap recapture penalties. That means no RFAs without a deal, no players on an entry-level contract, no players without significant NHL-playing time, no players on LTIR and no goalies. My model currently doesn’t have win projections for goaltenders beyond one season or expected contract value, so they were omitted. Unused cap space is also not part of the equation as there’s no telling exactly how that space would be used. This is just about the value of each contract currently on the books, signed as of Nov. 3.
16. Detroit Red Wings
last year: 31st
No team had a bigger year-over-year glow up than the Red Wings, who ranked dead last the previous season, but come in at 16th this time around. It’s a monumental leap. The big difference is how much the team is paying per win, going from one of the league’s worst to one of the best at third overall. That’s thanks mostly to most of the roster being on very short term deals, but also trimming a lot of negative value off the roster. The biggest subtraction is Justin Abdelkader, owner of one of the league’s worst contracts who was mercifully bought out this offseason. With Jonathan Ericsson’s deal expiring and Darren Helm only having one year left, only Frans Nielsen has a contract in the “D” range compared to the four the Red Wings had last season. One of the ugliest salary cap pictures is finally clearing up.
This is still a bad team filled with players unlikely to live up to their deals, but the short commitments make things much more palatable. That’s especially true for new additions Bobby Ryan, Jon Merrill and Troy Stecher, who all bring positive value.
The biggest pluses are the two newest deals for Anthony Mantha and Tyler Bertuzzi. RFA deals usually come in below market price and the team got a great deal for both, especially Mantha, whose deal instantly becomes one of the league’s best. Those contracts were enough to push Detroit up a few spots in these rankings.​

Reactions: mantha39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad