Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
In what universe does he sign in Detroit over Toronto?
I never said he would, so are you wanting to talk about parallel vs. non-parallel universes with/without different outcomes & endless possibilities. Quantum Entanglement? How many parsecs to the nearest Red Giant? Carl Sagan is your friend.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
imagine Pierre in MTL or Pitt :laugh:

Pierre McGuire finally talks about the two NHL GM jobs that he juuuuuust missed out on

"...Then finally... Pierre spills the beans:
“I’ll tell you the truth, I was runner up to Marc Bergevin in Montreal and that was heartbreaking. That’s my hometown. But Marc’s done a good job.”
“And the other one… it came down to Jimmy Rutherford and myself for the job (in Pittsburgh) before Jimmy took it. I was really interested in that one.”
"

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
make that 6 teams now.

Again from Friedman:
The NHL doesn’t yet have an official start date for the 2020-21 season, and local rules would not allow Anaheim and Los Angeles to commit to this plan at this time. But, the Kings and Ducks are doing due diligence for somewhere down the road if they learned they would be allowed more fans at outdoor events than indoor ones.
The Bruins have been in contact with state and city officials about different options. I had heard specific mention of Fenway Park, and was told that is in an “exploratory phase,” but it was stressed all venue options are being considered.
The Penguins have looked into both Heinz Field and PNC Park. (Major problem with Heinz Field: the Steelers may need it until late January.)​
Even more info from LeBrun's most recent column for The Athletic:
Boston Bruins: The Bruins answered yes to the NHL’s outdoor query and are indeed exploring the possibility of playing at Fenway Park, obviously depending on state and city guidelines. And we’re not just talking one outdoor game, the Bruins, I’m told, are exploring the idea of multiple games at Fenway. They want their fans watching live hockey.
Carolina Hurricanes: The Hurricanes have a football stadium across the parking lot from their arena. It’s a no-brainer for them and the club answered yes to the league. And I think the idea that the Canes have explored for a few months now is not just to play one game but a few and maybe even buy their own refrigeration system and not rely on the league’s outdoor game infrastructure.
Dallas Stars: Let’s put it this way, the Dallas Cowboys just had 30,000-plus at their Thanksgiving day game. So to nobody’s surprise, I can confirm the Stars answered yes to the league’s query. What a great venue to have an outdoor hockey game in. Heck, why just one?
Los Angeles Kings: The Kings were actually on this early, months ago telling the NHL of their idea to stage multiple games at an MLS stadium when county guidelines allow for fans to gather at outdoor venues. I think what the Kings have shared with the NHL is that they would begin the season with no fans inside Staples Center but once (if) the guidelines were loosened, they would play in front of 8,000 or so physically distanced fans for the final two months or so of the regular season. The Kings, I’m told, have also approached the nearby Ducks about playing outdoor games. But again, all this is really depending on when Southern California health authorities loosen up the guidelines for outdoor venues.
Nashville Predators: The Predators responded to the league that they would be willing to host an outdoor game if it made sense for the NHL and in fact would be willing to have multiple games and teams play out of it whether that’s in a traditional stadium or a unique setting.
Pittsburgh Penguins: As mentioned above, the Penguins have looked at the idea of maybe opening the first month or so of the season outdoors and buy some time before limited crowds can start gaining access to indoor games. There’s no guarantee that will happen this season at all, depending on the access and distribution of the vaccine over the coming year. But rest assured, the Penguins are thinking outside the box here.​

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
LA: 68/49
Carolina: 50/30
Dallas: 56/37
Nashville: 47/29
Pittsburgh: 35/20
Anaheim: 69/47

Those are the average highs and lows for those cities in January. They get higher in February. Remember when Kronwall broke his leg on a rut in the ice in LA when they couldn't keep their ice half way decent inside of a temperature and humidity controlled arena?

They want to roll with outdoor games, might as well say they're bubbling again and move all of these southern teams north to places where the ice won't be a disaster and we're not going to see players getting hurt all over the place and the games looking like crap.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Those are the average highs and lows for those cities in January. They get higher in February. Remember when Kronwall broke his leg on a rut in the ice in LA when they couldn't keep their ice half way decent inside of a temperature and humidity controlled arena?

They want to roll with outdoor games, might as well say they're bubbling again and move all of these southern teams north to places where the ice won't be a disaster and we're not going to see players getting hurt all over the place and the games looking like crap.
Good point, but surely the technology has improved since ~15 yrs ago? (to keep the ice reasonably cold)

I'm for whatever it takes to have an NHL season w/maximum amt. of games. The 15 day stay at home to slow the curve has turned into 260+ days of madness.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Good point, but surely the technology has improved since ~15 yrs ago? (to keep the ice reasonably cold)

I'm for whatever it takes to have an NHL season w/maximum amt. of games. The 15 day stay at home to slow the curve has turned into 260+ days of madness.

I still see places like Arizona, Dallas, etc. having trouble keeping good ice inside arenas, I don't have any faith in these places putting a quality sheet of ice down outside, exposed to the elements and without any control of the conditions, for several games in a row. I mean, not only is it warmer in those places but if they get any weather...it's going to be rain. It'll destroy the entire ice sheet in under an hour.

I figure they'll play enough games just to meet demands for their TV contracts. I'm still betting on a 42-ish game season, maybe bubbled again, maybe with no fans in places. That will be the worst case scenario, imo. I'll be shocked if there is no hockey at all.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
.......That will be the worst case scenario, imo. I'll be shocked if there is no hockey at all.

I hope you're right, but at least 60gp, so I won't feel as cheated. This year has been a disaster for many. The last 5 for me personally. I need my hockey more than ever.

The U.S. North + Canada should host the season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I hope you're right, but at least 60gp, so I won't feel as cheated. This year has been a disaster for many. The last 5 for me personally. I need my hockey more than ever.

The U.S. North + Canada should host the season.

I don't personally like shorter seasons, but I'll take what I can get at this point. That first GDT is going to be really good to see.

Sorry to hear the past few years have been rough.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

True. Weather could potentially play havoc.

Ultimately, I just don't see the cost efficiency being there to host X amount of outdoor games.

Maybe if you own the stadium and are ultimately allowed a decent amount of fans. Outside of that, I just don't see it being economically favorable to an owners pocket book.

Absolutely don't blame teams for doing some due diligence.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-12-6_17-46-35.png

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
On a more serious note, looks like we are a month away from Red Wings hockey! Should I be excited?

It will be nice to see if the new additions help stop the bleeding, as I hope they will.

In terms of the season, I expect there to be issues with scheduling. The NFL is limping through the season and moving games around - and they only play/travel once a week. If there's an outbreak on an NHL team and they need to reschedule for a week, that's potentially 3 games with 3 other teams on the schedule to shift around? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I don't think it's impossible, but I expect the schedule to get messy and I expect teams to have weeks that lead to AHL rosters playing one another.

Reactions: mantha39

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
It will be nice to see if the new additions help stop the bleeding, as I hope they will.

In terms of the season, I expect there to be issues with scheduling. The NFL is limping through the season and moving games around - and they only play/travel once a week. If there's an outbreak on an NHL team and they need to reschedule for a week, that's potentially 3 games with 3 other teams on the schedule to shift around? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I don't think it's impossible, but I expect the schedule to get messy and I expect teams to have weeks that lead to AHL rosters playing one another.

Maybe the NHL could finally steal from the MLB scheduling playbook and re-schedule double headers.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

where are they gonna pull players from if the AHL is shutdown & some/many are in Euro leagues (some that can't be recalled) ?

Is the AHL starting too?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Maybe the NHL could finally steal from the MLB scheduling playbook and re-schedule double headers.

A hockey double header would be absolutely wild. I love it.

Too bad the players would all want to die.

where are they gonna pull players from if the AHL is shutdown & some/many are in Euro leagues (some that can't be recalled) ?

Is the AHL starting too?

I have no idea.

If it's like the NFL, and I don't see why it wouldn't be given current infection rates, teams will lose a significant group of players for weeks at a time. So they'll have to suit up replacements or reschedule weeks of games or... Forfeit? I have no clue.

Just gonna be a weird messy season. Sort of like NFL football playing randomly on a Wednesday afternoon, instead of Thanksgiving, after multiple delays of their game.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
2 Forbes articles/lists; scroll down for 2nd.

1. NHL Team Values 2020: Hockey’s First Decline In Two Decades

NHL Team Values 2020: Hockey’s First Decline In Two Decades

2. The NHL’s Most Valuable Teams 2020 (1-31)

TB @ #21 surprised me

• Value: $470 million
• 1-Year Change: 0%
• Owner: Jeffrey Vinik
• Operating Income: -$8.3 million

...11 teams (not including SEA) worth less than $500M. A Mega Power Ball winner could buy an NHL team, dreams can come true. :laugh: (or do the noble thing & give 95% to NPO's/registered charities).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad