Try to deflect it
It's not too late to crop
Crop it good

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Why does that picture of Toews look fake? his head looks waaay too big

$_35.JPG

Because it's a bobblehead. :sarcasm:

It might be the beard, and the fact he has his arms above his head, bringing his jersey up and making it look like he has no neck. Or the perspective, since his head is turned more. (I'm assuming you mean the EA photo, not the one in your post)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hey guys, Lightning fan coming in peace. So apparently we have hired Brad Lauer who is supposed to work with our abysmal powerplay. Looking at his record with the Ducks I can't say I'm too thrilled right now.

What's your thought on him? What's to expect? Why didn't it work out in Anaheim for him (went from coaching the 4th best PP in the league to 28th in just two years)?

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Hey guys, Lightning fan coming in peace. So apparently we have hired Brad Lauer who is supposed to work with our abysmal powerplay. Looking at his record with the Ducks I can't say I'm too thrilled right now.

What's your thought on him? What's to expect? Why didn't it work out in Anaheim for him (went from coaching the 4th best PP in the league to 28th in just two years)?
Noooooooooo

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

If Lauer was entirely responsible for the power play - which isn't clear - then he's terrible. The puck will spend most of its time on the point or half boards while the other four players remain stationary.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
If Lauer was entirely responsible for the power play - which isn't clear - then he's terrible. The puck will spend most of its time on the point or half boards while the other four players remain stationary.

This can't be emphasized enough. Our powerplay was successful when there was movement away from the puck... And there rarely was movement away from the puck.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Well one of the reasons he was let go was because our PP was horrible so that's pretty telling. That said though, we can't blame it all on Lauer. I wonder how much of a say Bruce has in the PP, as I believe his teams generally don't do well on the PP, although I could be wrong.

Our PP had zero movement, and it was hideous to watch.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Hard to know how much of the PP Lauer was responsible for...

But under his leadership, the Ducks have never had a particularly inspired PP and its def. hurt this team. As "Corey Peary" mentioned, the lack of movement on the PP was maddening to watch at times. The best PP's are in constant motion.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
When your powerplay has Getzlaf, Perry, Vatanen, Fowler, and 'other,' and you finish 3rd to last in the league, you know something is wrong with the system.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No matter how you slice it someone had to go for the Ducks inept powerplay. I felt he got at least a year longer to work things out than he should have. IMO he should have been fired the morning after the Ducks lost in 7 to the Kings. Thank God they moved on from him this offseason

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Yeah, I don't have a lot of good things to say about him, because our PP has been frustrating for a while. Not enough movement, and far too willing to stay on the perimeter.

But, to be perfectly fair to Lauer, I'm not entirely convinced he's entirely to blame. I don't think it's a coincidence that our PP took a downturn when Getzlaf became the guy running it. As good as Getzlaf is, he also has a tendency to always try to slow the game down, and I think that's the exact opposite of what you want to do on the PP. Your goal should be to force the opposition to move, and to move the puck quickly to open lanes. Getzlaf is always holding on to the puck, and trying to pick apart the team, and unfortunately that gives them time to adjust in a PP situation. Still, a good coach needs to be able to figure out issues like that, and get things running smoothly, and to adjust when things are clearly not working(they weren't). As far as Anaheim is concerned, we'll see if the change helps.

I know that doesn't really mean much on your end, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as "he sucks." I can't really deny that the PP has been an issue here, and even if we don't know how much of that falls on the players, he certainly carries some of the responsibilities.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yeah, I don't have a lot of good things to say about him, because our PP has been frustrating for a while. Not enough movement, and far too willing to stay on the perimeter.

But, to be perfectly fair to Lauer, I'm not entirely convinced he's entirely to blame. I don't think it's a coincidence that our PP took a downturn when Getzlaf became the guy running it. As good as Getzlaf is, he also has a tendency to always try to slow the game down, and I think that's the exact opposite of what you want to do on the PP. Your goal should be to force the opposition to move, and to move the puck quickly to open lanes. Getzlaf is always holding on to the puck, and trying to pick apart the team, and unfortunately that gives them time to adjust in a PP situation. Still, a good coach needs to be able to figure out issues like that, and get things running smoothly, and to adjust when things are clearly not working(they weren't). As far as Anaheim is concerned, we'll see if the change helps.

I know that doesn't really mean much on your end, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as "he sucks." I can't really deny that the PP has been an issue here, and even if we don't know how much of that falls on the players, he certainly carries some of the responsibilities.

With Tampa having the type of tools that Washington did (Greene = Campbell, Ovechkin = Stamkos) I wouldn't be surprised if he rediscovered his form.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
With Tampa having the type of tools that Washington did (Greene = Campbell, kvetching = Stamkos) I wouldn't be surprised if he rediscovered his form.

Ditto. That was rolling around my head as I was responding. It wouldn't surprise me at all. Maybe he's just one of those coaches that needs specific tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad