Around the NHL 2014-15 part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I can't believe this is actually a thing...

money-3.jpg

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I just get a kick out of the name BAM Tech.

Sounds like a bad Bruce Wayne subsidiary.

But put it together with the whole new advanced stats thing (who was that partnership with?) and it makes a lot of sense website-wise.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If Kane really is in trouble, our chances...

Guy has always been a complete creep.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So what does the new deal with MLBAM mean? Does anything change?

It means our digital content is about to get a whole lot better. Not only that, but every team should be getting its own app with unique content.

It's excellent news, but it will take a little time to bear fruit.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
I hope Kane didn't actually do what the rumor mill is churning up on Twitter. Geez.

But I also hope the accusations aren't swept under a rug if valid, just cuz he's some "attractive" sports star.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder what would happen if he's in jail on the day he is supposed to have the Cup?

If charges are brought, will he be Richardsed or Voinoved?

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I hope Kane didn't actually do what the rumor mill is churning up on Twitter. Geez.

But I also hope the accusations aren't swept under a rug if valid, just cuz he's some "attractive" sports star.

Oh man, I saw this in news earlier and just thought it was some petty crime reported on a slow news day. But then I poked around reddit and it's pretty disturbing. For his and everyone's sake I hope he didn't do it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I'm just going to leave this here before it's necessary

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Hes being investigated for rape, that's already been confirmed. The girl had the rape kit, the whole nine yards. The guy is a moron.

Ando

Keyboard Warrior
Oct 18, 2014
Central Coast, CA
If it comes down to it, I wonder if the NHL will go to town, or sweep it under the rug considering he's a league golden boy. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's the ladder.

Edit: Just remembered Kane is going to be on the cover of NHL 16. lol

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If it comes down to it, I wonder if the NHL will go to town, or sweep it under the rug considering he's a league golden boy. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's the ladder.

Edit: Just remembered Kane is going to be on the cover of NHL 16. lol

If he's charged that won't last long.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
If he's charged that won't last long.

It's supposed to feature both Kane and Toews, so I wonder if they would just use a different pic or find a different pair? I don't believe there was a cover vote for this one so there are no runners up involved.

C'mon Getz and Perry.

NHL-16-Cover-AtheletePatrick-Kane-Jonathan-Toews.jpg

Last edited:

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
All sorts of interesting questions for the NHL, the Hawks and how they handle this, if it turns out to result in a criminal charge. There is an impact on the league and on the Hawks, as well as upon Kane and the alleged victim. The league needs to be consistent, and if there is a criminal charge of rape the league simply cannot afford to allow Kane to play while the charge is pending.

I realize that any individual charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty, but that is a criminal standard. The league, as in the Voynov case, can impose a different standard regarding player participation in the league, unrelated to the criminal standard.

I would think that if criminal charges are brought against Kane that would force the league to suspend Kane pending the outcome of the charges. However, I would then expect that the league would give the Hawks the same leeway regarding Kane's salary that the league gave the Kings over Voynov, which would be to allow the Hawks to treat Kane's salary as if he were on injured reserve. Kane would still receive his salary under this scenario.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Interesting read on the BAM company. Sounds like a promising investment for NHL to get in on.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/4/9090897/mlb-bam-live-streaming-internet-tv-nhl-hbo-now-espn

The latest expression of this boundless initiative is Statcast, a big data approach to sports that only a major league nerd could love. High-speed cameras and radar installed in every stadium capture the game in three dimensions and allow for real-time tracking and tabulation of each motion a player makes on the field. Fans watching an amazing replay of a diving catch can learn exactly how fast that outfielder’s first step was, if he broke in the right direction, and how that compares to his historical average.

BAM has already taken a step toward creating its own content by buying production and distribution rights for digital content from the PGA and NHL. Just as cable and ESPN provided a home for sporting events that didn’t match the business model of broadcast television, BAM is bundling sports to sell a la carte on the internet, creating a new opportunity, and perhaps a way forward as pay TV slowly dwindles. "The media space has always been built on over time, the platforms taking more control of content. It was true on cable with ESPN, and in streaming with Netflix. So it’s natural," says Greenfield.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Interesting read on the BAM company. Sounds like a promising investment for NHL to get in on.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/4/9090897/mlb-bam-live-streaming-internet-tv-nhl-hbo-now-espn
I am a little curious how this relates to the other partnership NHL had struck with the other company. I think it's SportVU, the same partner that the NBA used to add player tracking stats.

The SportVU method seems to make more sense though from a logistics standpoint. A lot of arenas have both the NBA and NHL, so the infrastructure could be shared. That said, it's probably harder to track a smaller puck than a basketball so they might need radar kind of like how the MLB does it instead of the only-camera approach of the NBA.

edit: Totally off, the partner was SAP, not SportVU. And somehow I completely missed the brouhaha about putting the chips in the players and pucks at the All-Star Game. Well that was probably because I completely ignored the All-Star Game.

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Not saying Kane did/didn't do any of this and so on, does this woman get jail time for her accusations IF it's not true?

If I was Kane I would have security cameras and sound recorders in case these things happen - seems difficult to give evidence of what happened otherwise.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Not saying Kane did/didn't do any of this and so on, does this woman get jail time for her accusations IF it's not true?

If I was Kane I would have security cameras and sound recorders in case these things happen - seems difficult to give evidence of what happened otherwise.

Making false statements to police is a crime, but someone with no record probably isn't looking at jail time. It's also rare to find hard evidence that a person is actually lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad