Around the NHL 2014-15 part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I would say aren't because it sounds more right, but I think isn't is actually correct. Any means one, so it should be singular.

edit: ignore. Completely wrong. It depends on if the noun following any is countable or not. Games is countable, games is plural. Use aren't.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
"Isn't any game" or "aren't any games" would be my guesses, but English is weird.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
English is weird and has too many swear words. That's why I only swear in Latin now. Plus it helps show off my arrogance and intellectual superiority.

#hubris

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
English IS weird.

Can someone explain to me why the plural of "goose" is "geese", but the plural of "moose" isn't "meese"?

Box = boxes, but ox = oxen
Mouse = mice, and louse = lice, but house = houses
There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Box = boxes, but ox = oxen
Mouse = mice, and louse = lice, but house = houses
There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

Lots of languages do things like this though. For a topical example I am very familiar with (as I spent a year in Sweden after undergrad), in English, we have "a" and "an" which are used interchangeably depending on whether a noun starts with a vowel sound or a consonant sound.

A house
An ox

In Swedish, they have something very similar with the words "En" and "Ett", but unlike English where the words usage depends on the sound of the noun, in Swedish, there's no rhyme or reason, you just have to learn which is correct on a word to word basis.

En fisk = a fish
Ett hus = a house

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
Lots of languages do things like this though. For a topical example I am very familiar with (as I spent a year in Sweden after undergrad), in English, we have "a" and "an" which are used interchangeably depending on whether a noun starts with a vowel sound or a consonant sound.

A house
An ox

In Swedish, they have something very similar with the words "En" and "Ett", but unlike English where the words usage depends on the sound of the noun, in Swedish, there's no rhyme or reason, you just have to learn which is correct on a word to word basis.

En fisk = a fish
Ett hus = a house
Haha, I started tinkering around with Danish on Duolingo (free language app), and you may have just explained why I keep getting the articles wrong.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
Or Spanish with masculine vs feminine and el/la.

Yeah, that's a bit different though, because if it's masculine the article is 'el' and any adjectives adjust to masculine, etc; it's cut-and-dry rules that you follow based on the gender of the noun. How or why they decided to assign genders to inanimate objects and concepts is rather arbitrary though, which may be where you're coming from on that.

You can tell there's no hockey on tonight.

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
5 geese on the ground is a gaggle
5 geese in the air is a skein
a gaggle is also 8 fifty pound bags of salt.

it's not that hard people.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
So if the next bird flu is found in crows, and we started an avian vaccination program to eliminate that reservoir... that means we would be trying to build up murder immunity?

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't understand why the pas in Je ne parle pas français is necessary, I do not speak no(t) French. I've always thought it's weird

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
I'd love to play Detroit in the finals
Me too. For starters, it'd mean we made it to the Finals, so that's cool; but taking an old heated rivalry and putting it on that big of a stage would be fantastic.

Also, I'm pretty confident the Ducks could beat them this go-round. ;)

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
McDavid is easily the best prospect I have ever seen.....everytime he gets the puck you hold your breath (in a good way not in a Sbisa way)

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
McDavid is easily the best prospect I have ever seen.....everytime he gets the puck you hold your breath (in a good way not in a Sbisa way)

so was sbisa like your version of our joe corvo?

joe corvo's best attribute was looking like zangief.

fdqwPlJ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad