GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

Isn’t that still a homer since he fell outside the fence while catching the ball?

I don’t know the story, but I’m confused about why he’s playing ball with the VGK when he’s a Canuck? Despite the trade talk & Jim Benning’s tendency to be a poor asset manager (I’m trying to be nice) I really hope Nate stays.

Nice catch though.

As an aside, I miss your Assman Avatar, @Del Preston. It was one of the best on HF imho.

Really hoping your Oilers can add some nice value this week in Free Agency.

Some memes for you folks…
DC1714DB-070D-40F9-B98D-ADB7D5A2ABB7.jpeg

2AF4E1CA-256A-4815-9479-CF446FC5648E.jpeg

78134C38-CDE3-4784-AD63-A92193ED2F3A.jpeg

65EDE73B-4B1C-4596-BAC5-EEE70A4E3100.jpeg

8F6E5EB6-FDB0-43A1-8588-AD4C9AEF73A3.jpeg

06A14231-92D5-420B-BEB1-5BA0B9BA8DE3.jpeg

6FA8DB1F-5FBD-4F40-89CA-E49585CCC697.jpeg

and for @Brown Cat & @Senor Catface
D30F2182-149E-419A-8ED8-FFE6A7CEA753.jpeg

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
I don’t know the story, but I’m confused about why he’s playing ball with the VGK when he’s a Canuck? Despite the trade talk & Jim Benning’s tendency to be a poor asset manager (I’m trying to be nice) I really hope Nate stays.

Nice catch though.

As an aside, I miss your Assman Avatar, @Del Preston. It was one of the best on HF imho.

Really hoping your Oilers can add some nice value this week in Free Agency.

Some memes for you folks…
View attachment 456132

View attachment 456133

View attachment 456134

View attachment 456135

View attachment 456136

View attachment 456137

View attachment 456138

and for @Brown Cat & @Senor Catface
View attachment 456139
1627160293517.jpg

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
So the ideal scenario for the whole Fleury situation is that he decides to play for Chicago thus tying up all their cap space but he doesn't play well or just retires part way through the season leaving them high and dry. I think he's too proud to do something like that but it would make me chuckle.

Reactions: oilers'72

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Dunno... I don't see Fleury retiring when he likely gets the nod to be Canada's starter in the Olympics.

Between Carey Price requiring surgery and MAF retiring, the Canadian national team is running low on options.

Except, of course, Mike Smith

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Detroit being a future dynasty and all is fun but what's even more fun is the Habs are going to be cancelled hardcore for that Mailloux pick :dunce:

I think the criticism of this pick is off the rails. The player himself, young, foolish, seems remorseful and to the degree that he requested not being drafted.

I mean you're an Oilers fan. Craig MacTavish KILLED a young women through drunk driving and was charged with vehicular manslaughter and got to play out a whole hockey career with little recrimination.

Mailloux sends a picture of a Swedish girl he had sex with and we have a PM talking about how disgusting it is that he was drafted.

I dunno, from my perspective we're being highly judgmental in 2021. I understand the harm, the issue, but maybe some more perspective. Should this kid have his career cancelled on the basis of an immature mistake in judgement?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think the criticism of this pick is off the rails. The player himself, young, foolish, seems remorseful and to the degree that he requested not being drafted.

I mean you're an Oilers fan. Craig MacTavish KILLED a young women through drunk driving and was charged with vehicular manslaughter and got to play out a whole hockey career with little recrimination.

Mailloux sends a picture of a Swedish girl he had sex with and we have a PM talking about how disgusting it is that he was drafted.

I dunno, from my perspective we're being highly judgmental in 2021. I understand the harm, the issue, but maybe some more perspective. Should this kid have his career cancelled on the basis of an immature mistake in judgement?

Most people deserve second chances. It’s about the timing. If MacT had served no jail time and the Oilers immediately signed him, it would have been inappropriate. But he served his time, and the Oilers then took a chance on him, and it turned out well for the club and the player. The Habs draft picks story just cam to light weeks ago, he apparently hasn’t done a meaningful apology to the victim, asked teams not to draft him so he had time to get his shit together, and then the Habs draft him anyways. All of this with the ongoing Blackhawk scandal going on, with the Habs GM being a part of that team at the time. Poor job by the team in reading the tea leaves.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Most people deserve second chances. It’s about the timing. If MacT had served no jail time and the Oilers immediately signed him, it would have been inappropriate. But he served his time, and the Oilers then took a chance on him, and it turned out well for the club and the player. The Habs draft picks story just cam to light weeks ago, he apparently hasn’t done a meaningful apology to the victim, asked teams not to draft him so he had time to get his shit together, and then the Habs draft him anyways. All of this with the ongoing Blackhawk scandal going on, with the Habs GM being a part of that team at the time. Poor job by the team in reading the tea leaves.

Perfectly valid response. Some things I can't say here so I'll send you a PM. Suffice to say though that pro sports, and hockey, and society have a lot of work to do, and not just Bergeron. I'll leave it with a 17yr old paying the cost of how absolutely dysfunctional our society is, and particularly what kids are exposed to on the internet. Which is actually a form of dysfunctional socialization.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

This might be the last straw for me following this league to be honest. Between the Blackhawks and the Habs, along with the general grossness of hockey culture I am starting to feel that any support I give it is too much. Not sure. The game is a fun one, and it's hard to see myself completely walking away after being a fan for so long, but things are really screwed up with this league and there are no signs of improvement.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This might be the last straw for me following this league to be honest. Between the Blackhawks and the Habs, along with the general grossness of hockey culture I am starting to feel that any support I give it is too much. Not sure. The game is a fun one, and it's hard to see myself completely walking away after being a fan for so long, but things are really screwed up with this league and there are no signs of improvement.
Things were so much better in the 50's when people burned Montreal down when the Rocket was suspended for cracking an opponent across the head with his stick....simpler times..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad