GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Looks like the Rangers Tom Wilson problem just got solved.

I think Vegas got a fair bit worse over the off season. Losing Fleury for nothing saved them cap space of course but he was also still very good.

Supposedly they are in on Eichel but I don't see how they make this work. They are already over the cap with 21 players signed. They would probably have to move Tuch, Karlsson and Carrier along with someone like Krebs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Isn't what happened with Chicago basically a mirror of a church boys situation? One gets picked out, rest try to turn a blind eye and just want to move on with their lives and forget it after it's over.
You're probably not far off. Its why that its typical in such abuse that people don't report until years or decades later, and its because they all try to move on from it. But theres something to be said too about the current inclination to unearth all the past harm that has occurred. It doesn't resolve for the victim. It reawakens the pain and suffering and often times to a reliving the abuse degree. Its painful for the victim particularly if it involves indepth court recounting and facing the perp, etc.

The dynamic is that reporting sexual abuse becomes a pain multiplied situation. For the individual it increases their pain, it doesn't resolve it. Its like experiencing the abuse all over again. Which is why people probably shouldn't be critiqued for not reporting, even if it happened to them. Its also not uncommon for others to go against the testimony of the victim, further to masking their own issue and past abuse. People do repress issues or compartmentalize those to greater or lesser extent. Sometimes the denial seems very accurate to the person doing it.

Its still not uncommon for victims to blame themselves in some way which also limits coming forward.

This part goes beyond but just a comment. The world will not rid itself of sexual abuse(rs). So that what need occur is continuing education on what situations to avoid, to have much more protocol around one on one meetings, visitation, to rethink the dangers of coaching and mentorship being one on one. To reassess how comfortable parents should be entrusting others with care etc.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now this part is somewhat related but features how endemic abusive pattern behavior is in sports, and in coaching.

We were enjoying a park on the weekend and there was a provincial unders baseball tournament going on. Being that I seemingly have radar for abusive individuals I started paying attention to one coach of one team who first belittled a youth for being a bit late to the pregame warmups, and he mocked them in front of the team. Ridiculed him. The coach then stepped away from the team with another coach and explained away his rationale and that he was going to cut this player from the team because he "won't have this" on the team.

This individual, who was maybe in his thirties was power tripping, was upset, and was prepared to consequence some unders baseball player just because he was a few minutes late.
Now not many parents were in attendance, and all that were did not interject in any way. But this just serving as example of one form of emotional abuse that kids can suffer when sent off to organized sports replete with coaches, some of which are not necessarily in the best interests of your child or youth.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
David Krecji officially leaving the Bruins to finish out his career in the Czech Republic, as per @NHL.feeds on Insta.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
1260 was talking about Ari and Buf doing their best to tank. This just seems to be even more indication that Buffalo wants to tank.

No point in getting assets for the guy that might make them better and probably at the last minute they'll agree with the surgery so that he can't play for them either this year.

As good as Wright is being talked of I don't even know that he will save that franchise.

I see a repeat of 2015 when they got Eichel. Yep things were looking great they had Reinhart, Risto, Girgensons as high end picks to help out. They had others but used them to get ROR. They had the blockbuster that brought in Kane and Bogosian. Mark Pysyk was developing. Then 2017 the talk from their beat guy they were finally going to be a team to watch out for. They had added Okposo and Pomminville to the group the past couple years, and the future was looking great with Nylander and Mittlestadt being guys that would supplement the team in the coming years.

Fast forward to 2018 and they are drafting 1st overall, but hey that was when it was finally going to all come together as now they have the next Lidstrom or Hedman or whatever high end Swedish d-man.

So I guess the question is in 2028 who is the franchise 1st overall that is going to save them again?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Guess the new "toy" that Bruins got for him in Taylor Hall wasn't enough to sway him to stay.;)
I think more the case is him realizing his peak NHL phase is really over, probably having a hard time with that, and that his role was increasingly bumped down the lineup. A guy going to Europe to end career just to have some enjoyable moments in the game again before hanging the skates up for life.

Increasingly too the NHL may not be a very enjoyable game for some types of players. Theres real risks in this for the NHL, always, that more players may follow suit. There has to be some modicum or protection of go to players here. There often isn't.

In anycase Krejci is describing it as a family decision and that he needs and wants to be closer to his family. Similar to the decision Keith made but with his son being in WC so thus able to remain in the NHL.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Can anybody in the know comment on why Buffalo org is refuting the Eichel need for surgery? I'm having trouble on this one grasping what is going on. So much of the info being twitter captures makes it hard to follow. A rundown anyone?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Can anybody in the know comment on why Buffalo org is refuting the Eichel need for surgery? I'm having trouble on this one grasping what is going on. So much of the info being twitter captures makes it hard to follow. A rundown anyone?

I think the important distinction is that both parties agree he needs surgery. The type of surgery is what is disputed.

31 thoughts released an interview with Eichel's doctor he explained the differences between the two surgeries and the pro's and con's of both and why Eichel's camp prefers one over the other.

Why Eichel Wants a Disc Replacement | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think the important distinction is that both parties agree he needs surgery. The type of surgery is what is disputed.

31 thoughts released an interview with Eichel's doctor he explained the differences between the two surgeries and the pro's and con's of both and why Eichel's camp prefers one over the other.

Why Eichel Wants a Disc Replacement | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Thanks for the link. Wow, this is way beyond my understanding and so won't comment on that aspect of it. Suffice to say nobody here would know what surgery option should or oought to be pursued.

That said a few things:

1) In doubt, it should be the employees decision. It is their life, their back, their risk, and the risk can be substantial with such surgery.

2)Its plausibly understandable if an org paying for a prized asset wants some deliberation to possibly consider less risky procedure so that X player remains an asset, and remains able to play.

3) To that end the best play Buffalo can make is providing alternative referrals just so Eichel can look at other opinion. But ultimately Eichels decision. The dilemma of course being Eichel is no more able to make such inormed determination than any of us.

4) Finally what a debacle, terrible problem to have, and to have to consider options like this. My own tendency would be to defer any procedure that could end up impacting me severely. I do, and have opted for less evasive procedures. I have a herniated/compressed disc(s) as well so somewhat familiar with this. In my instance I've been able to mitigate with daily back exercises some of which are difficult.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Thanks for the link. Wow, this is way beyond my understanding and so won't comment on that aspect of it. Suffice to say nobody here would know what surgery option should or oought to be pursued.

That said a few things:

1) In doubt, it should be the employees decision. It is their life, their back, their risk, and the risk can be substantial with such surgery.

2)Its plausibly understandable if an org paying for a prized asset wants some deliberation to possibly consider less risky procedure so that X player remains an asset, and remains able to play.

3) To that end the best play Buffalo can make is providing alternative referrals just so Eichel can look at other opinion. But ultimately Eichels decision. The dilemma of course being Eichel is no more able to make such inormed determination than any of us.

4) Finally what a debacle, terrible problem to have, and to have to consider options like this. My own tendency would be to defer any procedure that could end up impacting me severely. I do, and have opted for less evasive procedures. I have a herniated/compressed disc(s) as well so somewhat familiar with this. In my instance I've been able to mitigate with daily back exercises some of which are difficult.

According to the CBA it's Buffalo that has the final say in regards to Eichel's surgery and that's why the whole thing has come to a halt.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Vegas got a fair bit worse over the off season. Losing Fleury for nothing saved them cap space of course but he was also still very good.

Supposedly they are in on Eichel but I don't see how they make this work. They are already over the cap with 21 players signed. They would probably have to move Tuch, Karlsson and Carrier along with someone like Krebs.

Agreed.

People can specifically dislike Reaves or Fleury but they are identity players big in the room, and in their own ways on the ice. Vegas undervaluing Reaves roles here and influence. When Reaves is in the lineup it isn't just him and his play, he influences the play of several other players and how large they are, and how much they bang and bring it.

Theres a real danger in losing your team identity when you trade someone like Reaves even if he doesn't play appreciable minutes. he's one of the key persons on a bench. In the same way having guys like Semenko around altered a teams identity, bravery, and allowed them to compete differently with the Islanders and players like Gillies.

Vegas are a team that has to pound. Goals don't always come naturally to this lineup, they have to tilt ice, very similar to what the Kings were. But with far less elite goal scoring skill.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
According to the CBA it's Buffalo that has the final say in regards to Eichel's surgery and that's why the whole thing has come to a halt.

Ah, thanks again. Just amplifies the difficulty in such a decision. my own view is there ought to be limits in how far such a clause can go. I mean I can see it for less critical procedures. But for something that impacts whether somebody even walks again or faces risks of surgery that are appreciable.

Man, I'll just say I sympathize with both Eichel and Buffalo. this is the worst result and tragedy for either party to have this.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Agreed.

People can specifically dislike Reaves or Fleury but they are identity players big in the room, and in their own ways on the ice. Vegas undervaluing Reaves roles here and influence. When Reaves is in the lineup it isn't just him and his play, he influences the play of several other players and how large they are, and how much they bang and bring it.

Theres a real danger in losing your team identity when you trade someone like Reaves even if he doesn't play appreciable minutes. he's one of the key persons on a bench. In the same way having guys like Semenko around altered a teams identity, bravery, and allowed them to compete differently with the Islanders and players like Gillies.

Vegas are a team that has to pound. Goals don't always come naturally to this lineup, they have to tilt ice, very similar to what the Kings were. But with far less elite goal scoring skill.

I think people might be shocked to see Vegas take a step back this year. I don’t see them as locks for 1st in the division with their downgrade to goaltending in particular. If the Oilers can somehow swap Koskinen for a better goalie, I think the Oilers should be favourites for the division. JMO

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Agreed.

Agree on Fleury, but not so much on Reaves. His clown show act on too many nights has worn thin in Vegas. Even healthy scratched him for a bunch of playoff games. Team played no differently physically with him in or out of the lineup in the playoffs. Actually thought they played quite a bit better without him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agree on Fleury, but not so much on Reaves. His clown show act on too many nights has worn thin in Vegas. Even healthy scratched him for a bunch of playoff games. Team played no differently physically with him in or out of the lineup in the playoffs. Actually thought they played quite a bit better without him.

Fine to disagree. Teams move from players like this at their own risk. I mean I don't like the player, don't get me wrong, and don't like the whole spittin chiclets element players like that kind of subscribe to, but when Knights are physically dominating and beatting teams down on the ice when they win. When the Knights have to rely more on skill and scoring they get beat. Obviously the team was not better with Reaves out as they lost the series to Montreal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think people might be shocked to see Vegas take a step back this year. I don’t see them as locks for 1st in the division with their downgrade to goaltending in particular. If the Oilers can somehow swap Koskinen for a better goalie, I think the Oilers should be favourites for the division. JMO

Yeah, one wonders how many playoff deflations before they become another SJ Sharks. Ears already ringing about that. They've had a lot of misfortune, but they've had a lot of inability as well getting past certain clubs.

Its kind like WC. They seem to be fine at group stage, get past a couple knockout games and then hit a wall.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

I'm more curious what they will look like with a lack of depth upfront and most likely utilizing younger players to fill those roles. Howden, Patrick and few of their prospects making the team creates more questions than answers.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Fine to disagree. Teams move from players like this at their own risk. I mean I don't like the player, don't get me wrong, and don't like the whole spittin chiclets element players like that kind of subscribe to, but when Knights are physically dominating and beatting teams down on the ice when they win. When the Knights have to rely more on skill and scoring they get beat. Obviously the team was not better with Reaves out as they lost the series to Montreal.

He played three games against the Habs. Vegas was 1-2 in those games, and the same record without him. Was just my observation that they didn’t miss a beat in their style of play without him. Not once did I think, wow, that team is missing Reaves tonight. Missing more talented finishers more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->