GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Wow Flames sure had a lacklustre free agency frenzy. Had to trade two 3rd round picks to get a dman and backup goalie. Well at least they signed Coleman & Lewis.

428A72E9-6AE5-4EF9-94C0-7EF9C6ED8814.jpeg

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
TSN.ca has really fallen off. I went to see what was on for trades and free agency and got hit with a mass of one line transactions. No info whatsoever.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You know I'm not exactly shocked someone took a chance on Mailloux, but considering where he ranked why did Montreal draft him in the first?

Was another team really going to take him in the 2nd or would he have feel to the later rounds?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Oooh, this is getting spicey. Wonder if Duncan Keith is squirming a bit these days.

Sounds like some of the players went to the coaches and told them about it. Bigger issue is why did the coaches, management and ownership do nothing about it. And the league just continues to ignore it.

I wonder if Bergevin is sweating any bullets too, and with this story rumbling in the background.....you'd think he'd chose a less controversial player in the first round

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Sounds like some of the players went to the coaches and told them about it. Bigger issue is why did the coaches, management and ownership do nothing about it. And the league just continues to ignore it.

Because the team put a priority on winning over anything else? Rhetorical question I realize, but the Hawks couldn't be bothered. They used the dig it under the ground approach. Which is not too uncommon in business.

As far as the NHL they've been downplaying any nature of hockey problems for decades from concussion concerns to player deaths etc.

This is a league that has allowed dozens of pugilists to bare knuckle fight as a livelihood while the combatants stock pile in excesses of any painkillers they can get their hands on until they die some day or suffer other calamity.

As far as being full of shit its pretty much requisite to be that, to be teflon in management these days. Its a selected for trait to be an absolute despicable liar that will roll on anybody else. heh Not advocating it, just describing the muddy water.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I wonder if Bergevin is sweating any bullets too, and with this story rumbling in the background.....you'd think he'd chose a less controversial player in the first round

Well, in fairness I don't think its in Bergies blood not to take gambles and live on the edge. I'm not defending the Hawks org or Bergie but tons of sports orgs have buried stuff like this before, and worse, and its really been the mode in pro sports.

At one time the whole WHL was run by absolute shitty people that would tell youth they would have to fight or be off the team. In between hiring aholes that would sexually abuse the players. Even the former Oil Kings had this occur. You seldom hear much about it except when player(s) disclose. You don't find out about it other ways.

Basically any sport where you have men supervising youth, something like this can occur. What orgs really voluntarily disclose and bring it out in the light?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They've all denied knowing a thing about it. So someone is full of shit.
I have a feeling this is one of those "I know what you did last summer" type of things, where the players and management, etc were all sworn to secrecy, hoping the dirty deeds just went away with time. But now, some of those players (the ones that are retired now and face no repercussions from their peers) are starting to crack. But the rest of the guys are still in solidarity, hoping their numbers outweigh the few counter statements. Just my two bits.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Should accuse Bowman of negotiating in bad faith, trying to remove witnesses and people involved in this nasty case out of the org by sending us Keith. At the least we should get our pick back, Jones, plus a 3rd, and Chicago retains 50% of Keith's salary. And if Keith is involved, should get to terminate his contract.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Geez with the NHL having so much drama and so many immoral guys involved maybe it's time to start watching another major sports league....I bet the NFL being so huge will be full of church boys right?!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Geez with the NHL having so much drama and so many immoral guys involved maybe it's time to start watching another major sports league....I bet the NFL being so huge will be full of church boys right?!

Isn't what happened with Chicago basically a mirror of a church boys situation? One gets picked out, rest try to turn a blind eye and just want to move on with their lives and forget it after it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->