Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If folks want to see a nice illustration of the sort of entitled ghoulish behavior that has had me frothing at the mouth any time anyone advocates for relocation or contraction of a hockey franchise, check out the Callahan probable-retirement announcement thread. Most of the worst stuff has thankfully been cleaned up, but what's left is still enough to make one's blood boil.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You guys remember what was said about Jarmo after he drafted Dubois....??

"FIRE JARMO"

The decision made and the Dubois vs. Puljujarvi argument is a prime example of perception vs. reality, in the modern day world.

I guess you could say Jarmo went all in with that pick, haha.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
If folks want to see a nice illustration of the sort of entitled ghoulish behavior that has had me frothing at the mouth any time anyone advocates for relocation or contraction of a hockey franchise, check out the Callahan probable-retirement announcement thread. Most of the worst stuff has thankfully been cleaned up, but what's left is still enough to make one's blood boil.

tenor.gif

Reactions: EspenK

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I cannot say enough how much I dislike getting a penalty for getting a challenge wrong if you still have a timeout. I much prefer a mix of the NHL/NFL system.

1. Each team gets two challenges minimum.
2. If you get one wrong, you lose a timeout.
3. If you get both wrong, you lose a timeout and get a 2 minute penalty on the second missed call.
4. If you get both right you keep your timeout and get awarded a third challenge.
5. If you use your timeout earlier in the game and have 1 or 2 challenges left and get them wrong, they're both penalties.

I don't think this would cause teams to throw timeouts away/challenge at will.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I cannot say enough how much I dislike getting a penalty for getting a challenge wrong if you still have a timeout. I much prefer a mix of the NHL/NFL system.

1. Each team gets two challenges minimum.
2. If you get one wrong, you lose a timeout.
3. If you get both wrong, you lose a timeout and get a 2 minute penalty on the second missed call.
4. If you get both right you keep your timeout and get awarded a third challenge.
5. If you use your timeout earlier in the game and have 1 or 2 challenges left and get them wrong, they're both penalties.

I don't think this would cause teams to throw timeouts away/challenge at will.
What they're trying to stop is the "challenge everything late" phenomenon. Your proposed system doesn't fix that.

Coach's challenge in the NFL is somewhat less of an issue because, frankly, there's a lot of downtime between plays in football regardless. That's not the case with hockey.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

when this guy was drafted I truly thought he was going to be an absolute steal and a stud.

Reactions: EspenK

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Could we have beat PO Joseph and Alex Galchenyuk for Kessel? Yes.

Am I thrilled we didn't? Yes. I could never cheer for a team with Hotdog Phil Kessel.

Reactions: Fro

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Per the Detroit News, Tyler Wright has been let go by the Red Wings. He didn't stay unemployed long as Ken Holland has hired him to be part of the Edmonton scouting staff.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
At that AAV, he's worth it. Remember Letestu from way back when, when he could play anywhere and everywhere? Imagine a 25-year-old version of that and you basically have Sissons.

Drag on possession every year he's played. Career-high of 15 goals and 30 points at age 25. This is a very odd player to give a near-max term to.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Vasilevskiy signs an 8 year, $76m extension with Tampa, $44.5m in signing bonuses. $9.5m AAV.

Patiently waiting for Tampa to enter cap hell.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Vasilevskiy signs an 8 year, $76m extension with Tampa, $44.5m in signing bonuses. $9.5m AAV.

Patiently waiting for Tampa to enter cap hell.

Next year. Right now they have 13 guys signed for about 67 mill next season. Throw in 9-10 or so for point and they are in deep doo doo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad