Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Imagine putting money on the Blues to reach the SCF at the turn of the year... when they were last place halfway through the season.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Imagine putting money on the Blues to reach the SCF at the turn of the year... when they were last place halfway through the season.

There's a dude who put a $400 bet down on them in January to win the Cup and his ticket could be worth 100K lol

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The whole last place in January story and the play of Binnington should provide good ways to get on board with the Blues, but they really just serve to make me jealous. I am really small and bitter when it comes to sports fandom I guess. The fact that it was Jarmo and JD's previous stop isn't helping, either.

But, I do hate David Backes, and he's not there any more, and in fact, as you know, he's on their Finals opponent. So I guess Go Blues. But I probably won't watch.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It should come as no surprise that the two teams that play their 4th lines the most are the last two teams standing. Sundqvist is playing like much more than a #4C, but in general these guys aren't anything special. Barbashev, Steen, Acciari, and Nordstrom would be 4th liners in Columbus too. The Jackets could have opted for that kind of deployment, we have the players, but Torts doesn't have that kind of patience.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Bruins in 5 but I’ll be rooting for the Blues, my second favorite team from their entry and early 70s and revived interest during the Hitch years.

I’ll add that I see some parallels to this Blues team and the team I’m expecting the Jackets to ice next year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm torn between "first ever Cup victory is neat" feelings and "can keep claiming we only ever lose to Cup champions" feelings versus "they're to the Preds as the Pens are to us" feelings and "**** Brad Marchand" feelings. So I don't really have a side picked. :dunno:

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華
There we have it, first SCF game win ever for the Blues. Hope it won't take us as long...

Pretty interesting to see the difference in style between us and the Blues... lots of hitting still but they're trying to outrun the Bruins so instead of trading spurts of possession it's just fast-paced sloppy-looking hockey all over the place.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There we have it, first SCF game win ever for the Blues. Hope it won't take us as long...

Pretty interesting to see the difference in style between us and the Blues... lots of hitting still but they're trying to outrun the Bruins so instead of trading spurts of possession it's just fast-paced sloppy-looking hockey all over the place.

I don't see much fast paced anything with the Blues, they appear to be one of the slowest teams in the league. The Bruins have a distinct advantage in the neutral zone. The Blues are trying to win it down low on the cycle.

If I was to make a comparison with the Jackets-Bruins series, I'd say it's similar, except the Blues D are much more confident in their pinches, giving them longer offensive zone shifts. I don't know if it was Torts command, but our D were backing up too readily.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't see much fast paced anything with the Blues, they appear to be one of the slowest teams in the league. The Bruins have a distinct advantage in the neutral zone. The Blues are trying to win it down low on the cycle.

If I was to make a comparison with the Jackets-Bruins series, I'd say it's similar, except the Blues D are much more confident in their pinches, giving them longer offensive zone shifts. I don't know if it was Torts command, but our D were backing up too readily.

When the Blues' forecheck is working, it's a thing of beauty. And yes, that includes the pinches. They've made every team they've played, in stretches, look like a minor league team when trying to get the puck out of its own zone.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
They both had a lot of time off and yet we still need 2 days between games 2-3 and 4-5?

Ugh.

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華

They aren't particularly fast but they really try to up the tempo with quick passes up the ice and crashing the boards for turnovers while the D pinches.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Its safe to say the CBJ do not have the best defense in the league. That goes to STL, IMO.

What other defenses are really up there? SJ, NSH, CAL, WPG, WSH?? I'd say at this point the CBJ are at #2 (imo) if you consider everybody "full strength" and before the ever possible upcoming trade. Safe to say even with Werenski, Savard, Nutivaara, or Muray moved they should or could be still considered top 5-7 with this group of team, IMO, of course.

With all that said..... Korpisalo > Binnington------and------------Korpisalo > a lot of starting goalies

inb4... "tOp 6 FoRWarDs!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad