In Memoriam Sports world mourns death of legendary hockey broadcaster, Bob Cole

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

He was the voice for a generation of hockey fans.

Bob Cole, the legendary broadcaster who called his last game at age 85, has died. He passed away this morning, at 90. Some of his calls are simply unforgettable, from the Summit Series and Edmonton Oilers’ Stanley Cup dynasty to the Olympics. “Oh baby,” his voice was a part of the Canadian fabric.

Born and raised in St. John’s, Cole became a national treasure. The play-by-play legend called his final game for Hockey Night in Canada in 2019, capping off an incredible 50-year run behind the microphone. Regarded by many as the greatest at his craft, Cole was inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame in 1996.

It was right here, though, in this province, where Cole’s career began, calling provincial junior and senior games. That humble beginning would take him all the way to the show.

His career with HNIC started with a radio broadcast in the late 1960s and he would move to television in 1973. Cole would call thousands of games, capturing iconic moments in history.

He was an athlete himself, playing hockey and soccer, and even skipped Newfoundland and Labrador at the 1971 and ’75 Brier national curling champonships.

His career was unrivaled. He won nine Geminis, was an Order of Canada recipient. and, above all, his voice was the soundtrack for hockey.

Today, the hockey world mourns the voice of our game.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Ended up hearing a lot of him during my college years since I was at school in Burlington, Vermont and the school’s cable package got CBC. Those were his later years but he was still very good. Really didn’t start to struggle in his call until the very, very end.

Sure, he was clearly rooting for the Habs over the Bruins in plenty of those matchups but it never rose to the level of wanting to watch another broadcast. He had a warmth to his style, but could also show plenty of excitement.

His voice is on so, so many games over the years in Canada. An icon no doubt.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Jack might have overstayed his welcome by 2-3 years, but in Coles case he was 30 years overdue when he retired.

Regardless, R.I.P.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Icon, had the pleasure of sitting next to Mr. Cole on a freezing December night at a XMAS party in Nfld at the house of someone my then partner was working for.

I was a smoker and a helluva drinker back then and this house had a "smoking room" and there he was. He couldn`t have been nicer to a 20 something who was well lubricated, talked hockey for about 15 minutes or so

Few like him, RIP

Reactions: Dreghorn2

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Icon, had the pleasure of sitting next to Mr. Cole on a freezing December night at a XMAS party in Nfld at the house of someone my then partner was working for.

I was a smoker and a helluva drinker back then and this house had a "smoking room" and there he was. He couldn`t have been nicer to a 20 something who was well lubricated, talked hockey for about 15 minutes or so

Few like him, RIP
He was a smoker and lived to be 91?

Don Draper would have had a hell of an ad campaign if this was 1960

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He was a smoker and lived to be 91?

Don Draper would have had a hell of an ad campaign if this was 1960
yep, can`t remember what you call those things you put a cig into so you don`t stain your fingers but that`s what he did, it was hilarious

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
yep, can`t remember what you call those things you put a cig into so you don`t stain your fingers but that`s what he did, it was hilarious
I was around Johnny McKenzie a lot and he smoked but not a lot - Derek did and I think he did a lot. Bucyk cigars.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was around Johnny McKenzie a lot and he smoked but not a lot - Derek did and I think he did a lot. Bucyk cigars.
so funny, Cole had back to back cigs but I think he did that knowing he was going back to join the party, I seem to recall he was hanging with a ton of curlers that night too, I know he was a good curler in the day

nickyb

May 5, 2004
Fantastic announcer, to this day I still pull up Youtube and watch Boston / Montreal - Game 3 - 2008 highlights on there via CBC......incredible game with the Looch / Komi hits, Looch's goal and of course Savards OT Winner......the Canadian broadcasts really are tough to beat, for the most part.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Bob was really good earlier in his career, he did not seem bias in announcing, but in the latter part of his career he seemed anti-Bruins, but I wonder if that was the doings of CBC? He was a legend in the broadcasting world. RIP Bob.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Bob was really good earlier in his career, he did not seem bias in announcing, but in the latter part of his career he seemed anti-Bruins, but I wonder if that was the doings of CBC? He was a legend in the broadcasting world. RIP Bob.
Most CBC/Sportsnet/TSN broadcasts have become quite pro Canadian. Not necessarily anti-US (teams), but the cheerleading for Canadian teams has become very apparent. Which I sorta get, but these companies forget that plenty of Canadians cheer for US teams.

Bob Cole was amazing, even in his later years, just an elite broadcaster. RIP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad