Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Best- and worst-case scenario for each team in the NHL's Metro Division - Sportsnet.ca

Interesting look at upside and downside of all the Metro teams. After reading that I think the Flyers and Devils could be the big surprises IF their goaltending comes through.

Jackets - meh. Not much to suggest they will be a playoff team imo.
By far the most frustrating element of this entire offseason for me has been everybody and their second cousin looking at questionable goaltending situations that exist in FIVE metro teams - us, the Flyers, the Devils, the Canes, the Islanders - and handwaving away four of those five while putting laser-like focus on us. We are hardly the only team out there with big questions in net, but to hear these guys tell it it'll be Totally Not A Problem for everyone else but it'll utterly sink us, because reasons. GRARGH. :rant:

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
By far the most frustrating element of this entire offseason for me has been everybody and their second cousin looking at questionable goaltending situations that exist in FIVE metro teams - us, the Flyers, the Devils, the Canes, the Islanders - and handwaving away four of those five while putting laser-like focus on us. We are hardly the only team out there with big questions in net, but to hear these guys tell it it'll be Totally Not A Problem for everyone else but it'll utterly sink us, because reasons. GRARGH. :rant:

If I may be less hand-wavy - goaltending is just about always questionable, including for the teams you didn't mention. Which Matt Murray will show up this year? Is Holtby-Copley even an average duo at this point? Same for Georgiev-Lundqvist.

I do think there are more reasons for confidence in Carter Hart, Corey Schneider, and Thomas Greiss, than there are for Korpisalo-Merzlikins.

The Metro is tight enough that any team in it could have it's playoff chances snuffed out by a bad goaltending season. I'd say Mrazek-Reimer is the only other duo that I'd have less confidence in, and I'd still prefer the Canes overall because they might have the best set of skaters in the division.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Good points major. I don't think any Metro team has a sure shot goalie tandem.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If I may be less hand-wavy - goaltending is just about always questionable, including for the teams you didn't mention. Which Matt Murray will show up this year? Is Holtby-Copley even an average duo at this point? Same for Georgiev-Lundqvist.

I do think there are more reasons for confidence in Carter Hart, Corey Schneider, and Thomas Greiss, than there are for Korpisalo-Merzlikins. Mrazek

The Metro is tight enough that any team in it could have it's playoff chances snuffed out by a bad goaltending season. I'd say Mrazek-Reimer is the only other duo that I'd have less confidence in, and I'd still prefer the Canes overall because they might have the best set of skaters in the division.
I'd be curious as to what those reasons are, seeing as though I never see them codified beyond "well, Korpi had a bad year last year, and Bob was really really good." (Yes, Bob always gets brought up, even though it has no relevance whatsoever to who the Metro starters are now.)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd be curious as to what those reasons are, seeing as though I never see them codified beyond "well, Korpi had a bad year last year, and Bob was really really good." (Yes, Bob always gets brought up, even though it has no relevance whatsoever to who the Metro starters are now.)

It's not just last year. Korpi has had below average results after his debut year four years ago. Sometimes things change when a guy gets a starter's workload, we just don't know yet.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
We never knew which Bob was going to show up on any given night, but nearly won the metro recently...

I rarely listen/read the media anymore, it's about clicks and takes over solid reasoning and facts...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Could be (and I'm being serious for a moment) that those other teams have struggled with uncertainty in net for a few seasons, while the CBJ have been basically stable (Bob's mercurial play notwithstanding). So that's a step back from a roster standpoint for the Jackets and not so much so for those other teams. So there's at least a basis for that perspective.

I think it's flawed in some regards, but I see how you could arrive there.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Could be (and I'm being serious for a moment) that those other teams have struggled with uncertainty in net for a few seasons, while the CBJ have been basically stable (Bob's mercurial play notwithstanding). So that's a step back from a roster standpoint for the Jackets and not so much so for those other teams. So there's at least a basis for that perspective.

I think it's flawed in some regards, but I see how you could arrive there.
I have that suspicion and I want to tear it down for being absurd, but I have avoided bringing it up directly largely because I could easily see the reply to my doing so being Your logical fallacy is strawman

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not in this thread, but the comments on this board about Bob were so predictable.

Pretty good debuts for most of the former jackets. I thought Bob was OK.

Reactions: majormajor

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Was at the game in Tampa. Bob did fine; he had no chance with that defense against the Bolts. Kucherov is scary as hell, btw. It was very obvious that him & Hedman were better than everyone else on the ice. And now I understand why people call Barkov overrated. Looks a lot more impressive on TV than live.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Congrats Matt Calvert on game 500.

Watching the Avs game. They've spent half the broadcast talking about how much they love Calvert.

I'll be watching a lot of Avs games. They've got a lot of my favorite players: Makar, Girard, Calvert, Mackinnon. It's also less sobering than watching certain other teams.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Seemed like the Ex-Jackets had a decent night tonight. Wondered why I didn't see any posts here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Fun fact: the two teams we defeated have a combined record of 11-1-1 or 11-0-0 had they not played the Jackets

Yep, the top squad in the Metro and the top squad in the Atlantic have only been beaten by one team.

Reactions: thebus88

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
It's not just last year. Korpi has had below average results after his debut year four years ago. Sometimes things change when a guy gets a starter's workload, we just don't know yet.

After watching only 6 games 5 of which Korpi was in net I think what you speculated is actually coming true. The more he plays the more he has settled down. Less tritchy nervous movement and seems to be positioning himself better in net right now. Every so often he is out of position and totally out of the crease but for the most part he is square and very systematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->