Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's certainly defensible in a vacuum. Of course, that's not where they play the games. I don't wish ill on St Louis or Binnington, and you can't take this run away from them, but it remains to be seen if he continues to be this caliber of player.

Totally agree that the jury is still out. He may be the latest reincarnation of Andrew Rayrcoft or he may be a star in the making. But to say Korpi is better, even in a vacuum, strains my brain.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Every time I feel bad about this I think about Marchand nearly crying on the ice after the game, and I feel much better.
Oh my G-d yes. Just the absolute purest schadenfreude you can get there.

* * *​
Not at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Blues had the better story, and were the classier of the two left. Happy to see them finally get one.
That, and we still have an active streak of losing to the Stanley Cup finalist. ;)

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Totally agree that the jury is still out. He may be the latest reincarnation of Andrew Rayrcoft or he may be a star in the making. But to say Korpi is better, even in a vacuum, strains my brain.

Hockey goalie is an interesting position. They (can) impact many things and are (can be) impacted by many things. This Blues team and especially the (team) defense is VERY GOOD.

Are you of the opinion that "Stanley Cup winning" Binnington is or should be seen as better than any goalie that hasn't won a Cup? It's not like the dude has been playing lights out.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
D
Even though Duclair wasn't up to (at least yet) Tort's defensive standards, his speed and offensive abilities were hard not to like.

Gave him up for two 2nd rounders for a player who didn't have any impact. Not on the positive side of the Jarmo trade ledger.

I'm not even sure if Ottawa particularly wanted Duclair back. I'm guessing it might have been a situation where the FO didn't want to keep Duclair as a reserve player and threw him in just to steer clear of the Duclair/Torts drama. Which would suck, because Duclair might have really come in handy in the playoffs after Dzingel went cold and our injuries started up.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A younger RHD that looks like he can be a capable second pair guy, plus the 20th OA, for a top pairing RHD with one year left on his deal. He's not an easy guy to sign without an overpay. I think everyone knew that and it spoiled the market for Trouba.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I haven't been following this Pool Party saga that closely, but now his agent says he'll be playing in Europe if not traded by the Oilers...where does he get off dictating where he can play like that? You're a young player inching toward bust territory, not some young stud who amassed 200 points on his ELC. Holland should call his bluff

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd trade one of our "busts' like Milano or Stenlund or Carlsson for him. Even up.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't been following this Pool Party saga that closely, but now his agent says he'll be playing in Europe if not traded by the Oilers...where does he get off dictating where he can play like that? You're a young player inching toward bust territory, not some young stud who amassed 200 points on his ELC. Holland should call his bluff

It might actually be good for both parties for Puljujarvi to spend a year in the Liiga. He's supposedly still got some language difficulties and is not very mature.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd trade one of our "busts' like Milano or Stenlund or Carlsson for him. Even up.

As would I. And the Oilers should be interested in Milano. Their 5th highest scoring forward was Kassian, who gathered 28 pts, much of it playing with McDavid. Milano would have topped that, I think with ease.

I also must protest this overly eager use of the word "bust". A bust is a guy that has no chance. Picard, Filatov, etc... The guys you mentioned have all had decent pro showings and have the skills. They are taking a long time to put it together, but nothing unprecedented. We'll know if they become busts within a year or two. In Milano's case I think he's already an NHLer, we just don't like his style that much.

Jesse is a mess. At the same time he has the size, speed, and hands to become a great checking forward if he ever figures out some basic structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad