Are we entering a new, high scoring era?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's still embarrassing that the NHL took so ridiculously long to figure this out. Over 2 decades worth of boring-ass low scoring season, aside from the 1 or 2 year post lockout blip, is completely inexcusable.
Buh buh buh buh Detroit vs Colorado!!!!!

No but seriously you're right. Everyone I know who doesn't follow hockey thinks every game is a 1-0 score like soccer. The dead puck era damaged the image of the sport in a way it STILL has yet to recover from.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's still embarrassing that the NHL took so ridiculously long to figure this out. Over 2 decades worth of boring-ass low scoring season, aside from the 1 or 2 year post lockout blip, is completely inexcusable.

Artificial PP driven scoring is not all that much better as physicality and emotion have a place in the sport.

Reactions: cliffclaven

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
No we aren’t entering one, we are already in one
To be fair....this thread was created 5 years ago....that said....the comment that people were winning Art Ross Trophies scoring in the high 80s was inaccurate as well....it was only one season in the last 20 years. The basis of the thread is still the same though.....forget about scoring leaders, the overall league scoring was fairly low for a good stretch....maybe 10-15 years.

Mar 26, 2010
There is 1 guy who has set the bar. The American Sniper, no one else even comes close.

Reactions: KapG

Mar 26, 2010
Who said anything about goals? This thread is about high scoring in general. I’d take all of those guys plus the Hughes bros, Draisaitl, over Matthew’s offensively.
Hahaha. Sure you would.

BEST goal scorer on the planet.

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
NONE of them are on AM34’s goal scoring level. Not even close lol
He's having a great goal scoring season, there's no denying that, but to say no one is even close to Matthews is incorrect. Just last season he wasn't even close to winning the goal scoring title.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 2.13.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 2.13.39 PM.png
    198 KB · Views: 1

Mar 26, 2010
He's having a great goal scoring season, there's no denying that, but to say no one is even close to Matthews is incorrect. Just last season he wasn't even close to winning the goal scoring title.
He had surgery last year and was injured. He won the Rocket the 2 previous seasons and will win it again this season. McDavid is NOT on his level with goal scoring. Matthews is the best in the world.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Remember that year where Crosby slashed methot, and the gruesome aftermath on his finger?

I really think this was a turning point towards the higher scoring era. The hacking at the gloves never used to be called, but they really cracked down on it since that incident, and it's just given the goal scorers a little bit more freedom to showcase their talents.

In conjunction with the reduction of goalie gear, i think we have two main factors to the rise in goals.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I doubt it. Goalies will adjust to the smaller pads and scoring will go down. Could take a few years though.

I am enjoying it now though!
nah. more penalties. more powerplays. more 5 on 3s . 4 on 3s in OT.
Pulling goalies with 5 minutes to go.
smaller goalie equipment. better sticks.
d can't punish guys in front if net. Some teams use 4 or 5 goalies a season. etc etc etc
Scoring is up and will go up even more!

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He had surgery last year and was injured. He won the Rocket the 2 previous seasons and will win it again this season. McDavid is NOT on his level with goal scoring. Matthews is the best in the world.
Matthews has yet to match McDavid’s best scoring season but other than that yeah Matthews is the best goal scorer

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

I don't think goals make the game inherently more exciting. For me, it is goal chances. A mad scramble where a goalie stops 5 shots can be more exciting than a play that ends with one shot and one goal.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
There is 1 guy who has set the bar. The American Sniper, no one else even comes close.
8 players in history have scored 70 plus goals Matthews is not there yet 3 players in NHL history have 100 assists, and McDavid looks like he will get there this season considering 1 player has 92 goals 3 players have over 80 goals in league history I have to say 100 assists is more impressive than 70 goals

Busher

May 17, 2021
8 players in history have scored 70 plus goals Matthews is not there yet 3 players in NHL history have 100 assists, and McDavid looks like he will get there this season considering 1 player has 92 goals 3 players have over 80 goals in league history I have to say 100 assists is more impressive than 70 goals

70 goals has been done 14 times, and 100 assists 13 times. So about equally as rare, but assists don’t have the same cachet as goals.

I’d say 70 goals is more equal to 150 points (done 17 times), because people care more about points and goals than assists.

Reactions: TheStatican

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
70 goals has been done 14 times, and 100 assists 13 times. So about equally as rare, but assists don’t have the same cachet as goals.

I’d say 70 goals is more equal to 150 points (done 17 times), because people care more about points and goals than assists.
70 goals have been done by 8 different players 100 assists by 3 and out of those 13 times 11 were by Gretzky ;) and if 70 goals is equal to 150 points lol what is Nichols 70 goal 150 point season worth 250 points lol

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007

But Wayne has 11 of those 13 times, so his insane playmaking skills are skewing the stats. 100 assist seems harder, since it has only been done by 3 guys, (Mario and Orr once each)

Mar 26, 2010
No one cares about secondary assists in the Pacfic division. I sure as heck don’t. Not impressed.

Show me the Best goal scorer in the world today, you got me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad