Are we entering a new, high scoring era?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Remember that year where Crosby slashed methot, and the gruesome aftermath on his finger?

I really think this was a turning point towards the higher scoring era. The hacking at the gloves never used to be called, but they really cracked down on it since that incident, and it's just given the goal scorers a little bit more freedom to showcase their talents.

In conjunction with the reduction of goalie gear, i think we have two main factors to the rise in goals.

The crack down on crosschecking was a huge factor as well. And pretty much coincided with this most recent increase in scoring, which I had predicted at the time.

• Haha
Reactions: PaulD and Play

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Matthews has yet to match McDavid’s best scoring season but other than that yeah Matthews is the best goal scorer
Matthews has yet to match Pastrnacs best scoring season as well.

No one cares about secondary assists in the Pacfic division. I sure as heck don’t. Not impressed.

Show me the Best goal scorer in the world today, you got me.
1.McDavid 64
2.Pastrnak 61
3.Matthews 60

• Haha
Reactions: authentic

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The crack down on crosschecking was a huge factor as well. And pretty much coincided with this most recent increase in scoring, which I had predicted at the time.
Yup.
D can't control the front of the net like they used to.
Way more 5 on 3s and 4 on 3s these days too.

Buh buh buh buh Detroit vs Colorado!!!!!

No but seriously you're right. Everyone I know who doesn't follow hockey thinks every game is a 1-0 score like soccer. The dead puck era damaged the image of the sport in a way it STILL has yet to recover from.
Oh the drama

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yup.

Oh the drama
It honestly was a bit of a cheat code for D-men. I think most shown by Habs miracle run to the Cup which relied heavily in the playoffs of bringing that type of back mangling defence to the next level. You are a Habs fan? Would you agree with that assessment?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
NONE of them are on AM34’s goal scoring level. Not even close lol
Yet in the last couple seasons two guys have 64 and 61 goals......Matthews likely to surpass those numbers this season but as it stands now he has the third highest goal scoring season in the modern era.
Slim separation in among the top dogs.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
70 goals has been done 14 times, and 100 assists 13 times. So about equally as rare, but assists don’t have the same cachet as goals.

I’d say 70 goals is more equal to 150 points (done 17 times), because people care more about points and goals than assists.

Whats insane is Gretzky counts for most of those occurrences.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yup.

Oh the drama

Empty net goals have gone up as well with teams pulling their goalies with 4 minutes left. 3 on 3 helps a little also.

Yet in the last couple seasons two guys have 64 and 61 goals......Matthews likely to surpass those numbers this season but as it stands now he has the third highest goal scoring season in the modern era.
No country mile separation in this league.

The only difference is Matthews scores at a 65-75 goal pace in 3 different seasons. None of the others have scored like this for more than a single season, and none have 65+ goal paces even once.

Reactions: BTP

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Empty net goals have gone up as well with teams pulling their goalies with 4 minutes left. 3 on 3 helps a little also.

The only difference is Matthews scores at a 65-75 goal pace in 3 different seasons. None of the others have scored like this for more than a single season, and none have 65+ goal paces even once.
including Matthews
hows their stats compare to Matthews in play offs ?
Or do Matthew fans count play offs when shitting on his competition ?

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
Slim separation in among the top dogs.
No one, No one has scored more goals than Matthews has since he has entered the league. No one!

Reactions: authentic

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No one, No one has scored more goals than Matthews has since he has entered the league. No one!
yes he leads

I just said he doesn't lead most goals in a single season. And he is 3rd on that category among current players.

• Haha
Reactions: 34

Mar 26, 2010
yes he leads

I just said he doesn't lead most goals in a single season. And he is 3rd on that category among current players.
Ok cool man. Maybe not a top 20 scorer huh.

i guess 3 Rockets in the last 4 seasons is not good.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ok cool man. Maybe not a top 20 scorer huh.

i guess 3 Rockets in the last 4 seasons is not good.
it's great. he is the best sniper in the league.
Which also states how good the kid in Boston and the one in Edmonton is thst they can even stay close or in a couple seasons out score him.
Noticing that is not a direct insult on AM 34 and his fans.
Jeesh. Leafs fans so insecure. Understandably so I suppose.
Cheers

Reactions: VainGretzky

Mar 26, 2010
it's great. he is the best sniper in the league.
Which also states how good the kid in Boston and the one in Edmonton is thst they can even stay close or in a couple seasons out score him.
Noticing that is not a direct insult on AM 34 and his fans.
Jeesh. Leafs fans so insecure. Understandably so I suppose.
Cheers
Matthews was injured and had surgery last season. That is why

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I THINK ITS BECAUSE OF OVECHKINS EMPTHY NET HOALS!

(If you insult this post you get warned for flaming, or whatever. Low effort posts encouraged).

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
No. You're seeing more penalties because the game is softer than ever before (guys taking 2 min instigators after their teammate gets leveled on clean hits) and you're seeing empty net goals skyrocket with coaches pulling down 3 at times. 10 years ago the goalie was simply not pulled down more than 1 and anything over 1:30 left in the game was considered insane.

All this to say, scoring is simply artificially inflated. Players have also gotten more creative (deflection goals, the Michigan) etc with ways to score but ultimately it's more power plays and the empty net stuff

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If the nhl expands to 34 teams you'll start seeing scoring go up even more.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
No. You're seeing more penalties because the game is softer than ever before (guys taking 2 min instigators after their teammate gets leveled on clean hits) and you're seeing empty net goals skyrocket with coaches pulling down 3 at times. 10 years ago the goalie was simply not pulled down more than 1 and anything over 1:30 left in the game was considered insane.

All this to say, scoring is simply artificially inflated. Players have also gotten more creative (deflection goals, the Michigan) etc with ways to score but ultimately it's more power plays and the empty net stuff
This doesn't hold up to scrutiny. There are fewer PP opportunities per game than 10 years ago, and scoring is way up.

Save percentage is also the lowest it has been since the year after the lockout, which blows a hole in the theory that it's because of empty net goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad