Are we entering a new, high scoring era?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
not this season and I think you mean world lol
because he had a slow start does not mean he is no longer the best forward in the league.
If starting a team ( draft) hypothetical ..... anyone with first pick would take CM97 .......because he is "da best"

Last edited:
Reactions: WalterLundy

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
because he had a slow start does not mean he is no longer the best forward in the league.
If starting a team ( draft) hypothetical ..... anyone with first pick would take CM97
still doesnt change the fact hes not that player this year. but hes still the best in the world just not this season
McDavid will likely sitll go 1st overall anyways in fantasy even if he finished outside the top 10

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
still doesnt change the fact hes not that player this year. but hes still the best in the world just not this season
McDavid will likely sitll go 1st overall anyways in fantasy even if he finished outside the top 10
he is "that player" ....... stats are not everything.
We have been watching him dominate and control games ever since he recovered from injury.
He ain't scoring 64 goals , but like Gretz who dropped from 87goals, 92 goals to 50 goals .......and was still the best player in the league while scoring 50.
Connor is THAT player. imo

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
With 11 players hitting 100+ points last season and possibly even more this season, and the league average for goals being well over 3 per game over the past 3 seasons, it looks like I was correct.

I must say I've been enjoying this higher scoring NHL era and I hope the days of players like Jamie Benn winning the scoring title with 87 points never return.
It will happen again tho some coach will figure out how to neutralize modern offense probably by coaching a team to stay low as a 5 man group and controlled breakouts by having a guy way back to pass to if they don't like their break in options aka over possessive hockey

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

mlse2kk

Apr 8, 2022
Multiple contributing factors, but the biggest was only mentioned by a few posters in this thread: expansion.

Scoring had a noticeable uptick to break out of DPE 2.0 beginning with the Vegas expansion year in 2017. Expansion brings talent dipersion which upsets league-wide team depth, especially for 3rd/4th lines... the net result is higher scoring. The Seattle expansion also saw another uptick. Outside of the two post-lockout inflated years, the 50th ranked player by points was in the high 50's to low 60's nearly every year, and then you see a 5 point jump starting in 2017... now the 50th ranked player is closer to 15 points higher than those DPE 2.0 years. It's interesting to see the raw numbers in those ranks as it removes outliers at the top end of the table.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Oh yeah another obvious factor in the scoring increase that I failed to mention is top line players actually playing 22-23 minutes again. For a brief time there a lot of the top line players were only playing just below 20 minutes for whatever reason, I guess teams were just using their checking lines more when the game was more defensive?

Interesting

And theres more ad breaks than ever, or so it feels. Connor McDavid can play a ton when theres a 30 secs break every time theres a stoppage in play

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
bring back low scoring yeah i said it
Please no! Unless that just means better team D & goaltending. (By matching player styles and putting greater effort into the backcheck & forecheck)

I hate when superstars/ultra talented people are forced to play in such a way that it limits potential excitement.

I.e. forcing Ovi to play such a heavily defensive style that it limited. Teams should be built by Gm’s in a way to have different strengths and matchups.

Hopefully my rant makes some sense lol

snag

Feb 22, 2014
not this season and I think you mean world lol

This season statistically, he is "down"....but only from last years insane run. But if down is a 137point pace, I will STILL take it.

BTW.....he is pacing very well against Kuch. Only .02ppg behind Kuch. 8 points behind Mack, 11 behind Kuch. 6 games in hand on both. People act like Kuch has run away with it.

This will be one of the more exciting Art Ross races in years.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
This season statistically, he is "down"....but only from last years insane run. But if down is a 137point pace, I will STILL take it.

BTW.....he is pacing very well against Kuch. Only .02ppg behind Kuch. 8 points behind Mack, 11 behind Kuch. 6 games in hand on both. People act like Kuch has run away with it.

This will be one of the more exciting Art Ross races in years.
I knew he started off slow. but Ive seen him throw up alot of points and seems like hes back to his self. but I just wonder if its enough to catch Kuch this year. and is he really still on pace for 137?

Reactions: snag

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
how about the other Canadian teams? how many years for them? or do you only know Toronto?
like I'm a fan and I dont even pay attention to that crap. I thought it was higher lmao
1993 Montreal
1990 Edmonton
1989 Calgary

leafs have never won 3 consecutive rounds

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I knew he started off slow. but Ive seen him throw up alot of points and seems like hes back to his self. but I just wonder if its enough to catch Kuch this year. and is he really still on pace for 137?

Actually....136 I guess. Then factor in his couple games lost from injury. But then factor in those games he played injured. Hasn't been as good as it could have been, but certainly far from a bad season overall. Kuch I think has surprised a lot of people this season and the overall numbers (which at this point are largely skewed by the extra games) have exaggerated assumptions that McDavid is having a shit season. Especially when his 2 way play has improved.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
1993 Montreal
1990 Edmonton
1989 Calgary

leafs have never won 3 consecutive rounds
I wasnt aware there were only 4 Canadian teams

Actually....136 I guess. Then factor in his couple games lost from injury. But then factor in those games he played injured. Hasn't been as good as it could have been, but certainly far from a bad season overall. Kuch I think has surprised a lot of people this season and the overall numbers (which at this point are largely skewed by the extra games) have exaggerated assumptions that McDavid is having a shit season. Especially when his 2 way play has improved.
I dunno Kuch already has a 126 point season under his belt. so cant be more surprised now then before lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad