Are we entering a new, high scoring era?

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
This doesn't hold up to scrutiny. There are fewer PP opportunities per game than 10 years ago, and scoring is way up.

Save percentage is also the lowest it has been since the year after the lockout, which blows a hole in the theory that it's because of empty net goals.

Look at the trend of EN goals per season from 05 to now

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Just an unreal goal scoring season for him....9 goal lead on second lmao.

Im too lazy to pull it up, but how is Matthew's season comparing, goalscoring wise, to Ovechkin's 2007-2008 season?

Im a big Ovechkin fan and Matthews hater, but I regretfully feel like we're approaching similar territory?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No. You're seeing more penalties because the game is softer than ever before (guys taking 2 min instigators after their teammate gets leveled on clean hits) and you're seeing empty net goals skyrocket with coaches pulling down 3 at times. 10 years ago the goalie was simply not pulled down more than 1 and anything over 1:30 left in the game was considered insane.

All this to say, scoring is simply artificially inflated. Players have also gotten more creative (deflection goals, the Michigan) etc with ways to score but ultimately it's more power plays and the empty net stuff

There are actually very few powerplays compared to most of modern NHL history, it’s mostly to do with the reduction of goalie equipment in 2018 and empty net goals, and to a lesser extent 3 on 3.

Reactions: Dijock94

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Im too lazy to pull it up, but how is Matthew's season comparing, goalscoring wise, to Ovechkin's 2007-2008 season?

Im a big Ovechkin fan and Matthews hater, but I regretfully feel like we're approaching similar territory?

Ovechkin had 43 after 53 games, Kovalchuk had 38, and a few more over 30.

Matthews has 48 in 52 games, 2nd place has 39 in 55 games. Looks like Matthews is having a pretty comparable season relative to the rest of the league and even a little better on a per game basis.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
While there are many minor factors, the major factor is an increase in skill and speed compounded by attacking systems that favor offense.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
While there are many minor factors, the major factor is an increase in skill and speed compounded by attacking systems that favor offense.

The major factor was the reduction in goalie equipment. Scoring immediately jumped after it happened. Those systems don’t work as well when goalies can cut the angles better and less goals beat goalies cleanly. Makes the rush more effective as opposed to grinding it out and screening the goalie for a deflection or a rebound.

Reactions: Dijock94

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The major factor was the reduction in goalie equipment. Scoring immediately jumped after it happened. Those systems don’t work as well when goalies can cut the angles better and less goals beat goalies cleanly. Makes the rush more effective as opposed to grinding it out and screening the goalie for a deflection or a rebound.

I think that’s a factor, but not as impactful as the overall speed increase. This is a much faster game now.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
We’ve quite obviously been in a new era of high scoring for several year now. It’s really absurd to treat 100 point scoring now like we did in 2015.
I just ran the numbers.

There are currently 38 players scoring at a PPG pace this season (minimum 20 GP).

In the 2013-2014 NHL season, 38th place in PPG would put you at 68 points over 82 games.

So when we talk about guys being "PPG players" today, that's the equivalent of saying someone was a 68-point player 10 years ago.

Examples from 2014 would include: Tyler Bozak, Gustav Nyquist, Mikko Koivu and Max Pacioretty.

I think when people talk about someone being a PPG player today, they think it means they're the caliber of a Claude Giroux or a Patrick Kane (who were PPG players in 2014). When in reality they should be thinking of the guys above.

TLDR: 82 points today is like 68 points 10 years ago.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think that’s a factor, but not as impactful as the overall speed increase. This is a much faster game now.

Well it’s obviously much more of an impact unless you think the speed just increased the season after goalie equipment got reduced. That’s when the most noticeable jump in scoring occurred.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I just ran the numbers.

There are currently 38 players scoring at a PPG pace this season (minimum 20 GP).

In the 2013-2014 NHL season, 38th place in PPG would put you at 68 points over 82 games.

So when we talk about guys being "PPG players" today, that's the equivalent of saying someone was a 68-point player 10 years ago.

Examples from 2014 would include: Tyler Bozak, Gustav Nyquist, Mikko Koivu and Max Pacioretty.

I think when people talk about someone being a PPG player today, they think it means they're the caliber of a Claude Giroux or a Patrick Kane (who were PPG players in 2014). When in reality they should be thinking of the guys above.

TLDR: 82 points today is like 68 points 10 years ago.

There was a period where getting 50 goals almost guaranteed you a Rocket, and 100 pts an AR.

Its kinda cool though. Guys who I grew up watching look like ageless wonders as they keep producing at "the same rate" or a bit under thanks to scoring increase leaguewide.

For example Crosby pacing at 86 pts today is 27th in the league. While thats awesome, that was good for 3rd in the league in 2013-14, and would have been 1 pt away from Art Ross in 2014-15!

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
There was a period where getting 50 goals almost guaranteed you a Rocket, and 100 pts an AR.

Its kinda cool though. Guys who I grew up watching look like ageless wonders as they keep producing at "the same rate" or a bit under thanks to scoring increase leaguewide.

For example Crosby pacing at 86 pts today is 27th in the league. While thats awesome, that was good for 3rd in the league in 2013-14, and would have been 1 pt away from Art Ross in 2014-15!
Yep.

For example, in 2021-2022 Joe Pavelski had a career-high 81 points at age 37.

In 2015-2016, he finished with 78 points at age 31.

One might look at those numbers and say "Wow, Joe Pavelski is just as good as he was in his prime!"

He's not.

In 2016, he was 6th in NHL scoring.

In 2022, he was 32nd in NHL scoring.

Scoring has gone up, especially for top-line players.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Questions arise:

Will we see another 70-goal scoring machine? Looks like YES

Will we see another 100-assists player? With a little bit luck, YES

Will we see another 200-point player? Uff, that would be cool, but now its still unrealistic.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I think an often overlooked contributing factor to increased scoring/scoring chances is how team systems now utilize defensemen.

Not too long ago, the PMD was a thing. A team could be expected to have a couple of guys on the blueline who would be active on the rush, pinch offensively, etc. Now virtually every Dman is tasked with these things. It greatly increases the scoring threat while also allowing for more chances going the other way.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There are actually very few powerplays compared to most of modern NHL history, it’s mostly to do with the reduction of goalie equipment in 2018 and empty net goals, and to a lesser extent 3 on 3.

Also, players hands are more free from the hacking now. Everyone saw the aftermath of methot's hand off of a Crosby slash. I really believe that was a turning point where the league decided they have to crack down on those plays.

When the hands are free, that's how you allow artists to paint.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think an often overlooked contributing factor to increased scoring/scoring chances is how team systems now utilize defensemen.

Not too long ago, the PMD was a thing. A team could be expected to have a couple of guys on the blueline who would be active on the rush, pinch offensively, etc. Now virtually every Dman is tasked with these things. It greatly increases the scoring threat while also allowing for more chances going the other way.

I like this post, and ya, been making that argument myself- I think transitions and the blue line are the two places where more offense could be realized, and the game has just slowly morphed to reflect that. There are so many more defensemen capable of making moves to hold the puck in, quick accurate passes outta the D zone have become a massive part of the game. Idk, someone else can run the numbers, but I’d think the share of points scored by dmen has steadily risen in recent years. There’s almost point guard like opportunities out there now, and there are far fewer physical pylons. Still some bad defensemen, but they can mostly skate and pass now, thus their increased role in scoring.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I do believe we will see an increase in scoring for a variety of factors. There's a natural progression in skill and equipment that will improve things but I think there's a socioeconomic factor that will play into it relative to goalies. Goaltending is an expensive endeavor. With inflation in US and CAN, I think you'lll see fewer families able to do it. And in Europe, you're just drawing from a small population. These factors will statistically decrease the number of elite goalies we will see. So I do believe that in the coming years, we will continue to see a plateau of goaltending talent.

With a leveling off of goaltending talent and an increase in player ability and equipment, we will naturally see some rise in scoring.

• Wow
Reactions: Levard

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yep.

For example, in 2021-2022 Joe Pavelski had a career-high 81 points at age 37.

In 2015-2016, he finished with 78 points at age 31.

One might look at those numbers and say "Wow, Joe Pavelski is just as good as he was in his prime!"

He's not.

In 2016, he was 6th in NHL scoring.

In 2022, he was 32nd in NHL scoring.

Scoring has gone up, especially for top-line players.

Oh yeah another obvious factor in the scoring increase that I failed to mention is top line players actually playing 22-23 minutes again. For a brief time there a lot of the top line players were only playing just below 20 minutes for whatever reason, I guess teams were just using their checking lines more when the game was more defensive?

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad