Are we entering a new, high scoring era?

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Hope it stays that way, but at the same time I hope it’s not gonna be a 1992-93 type of season where there’s like 20 players with +100 points. If so, the milestone doesn’t look that special.
A 2005-06 type of season is the best IMO

That was the last GREAT year for the NHL. So many talking points and story lines. You had rookies coming in and being dynamic. 50 goal scorers. Teams scoring 300 plus goals, Lemieux. NHL needs more years like that one.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
That was the last GREAT year for the NHL. So many talking points and story lines. You had rookies coming in and being dynamic. 50 goal scorers. Teams scoring 300 plus goals, Lemieux. NHL needs more years like that one.
Lol the first two seasons after the 04 lockout were absolutely terrible, unless you love 15 powerplays a game for touching an opponent with any part of your body for an interference penalty.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
It may not be the only reason, but they finally made adjustments that had an effect similar to 05. Saying it has nothing to do with goaltending is idiotic. You make the goalies smaller quickly with an object as small as puck and there’s an adjustment period. Scoring went up after the full lockout in 05 but teams and goalies adjusted. They will again.
Lol scoring went up after the lockout because it was a season of 15powerplays per game. A joke.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I doubt it. Goalies will adjust to the smaller pads and scoring will go down. Could take a few years though.

I am enjoying it now though!

Uhh... That'd be true if a lot of goalies didn't rely so heavily on their massive pads taking massive space.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Don't look at goals for, empty net goals have increased dramatically in the last few years making the difference between goals for average and goals against average more pronounced. The Penguins beat the Leafs 3-0 and only scored on a goalie once. Goals against average shows how the game looks for the other 59 minutes, and this year it's 2.85 GAA. This is higher than last year's 2.78 but lower than 05-06's 2.92. Just a few years back in the early 10s, GAA hovered around 2.55, which is probably why it currently feels like a shooting gallery.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Goalies will adjust a bit. I prefer the slightly higher scoring seasons, so I hope the league finds a way to keep up. Maybe start calling all the blatant interference at the blue line on dump ins.

Yea, I find the clutch/grab mentality is still going really strong, especially in the playoffs. Guys not even carrying the puck are blatantly held up and its almost never called.

Especially with the truly highly skilled guys like McDavid. NHL refs don't like to call repeated penalties against the same team for infractions against the same player. But that just dilutes the value of highly skilled players.

If McDavid is so fast and skilled that other players take extra penalties against him to try to slow him down, call those penalties. I watch hockey to see the skill of the McDavids showcased, not to enjoy watching blatant interference.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think a majority of the teams are looking at those teams with generational/franchise players on them and have the same idea of tanking.

Of course, the Senators are a special kind of people as they are doing so without a 1st round pick.

I agree that all teams have the same idea about tanking...they absolutely reject it.

And yes the Senators seem to be special, much like other teams were for long periods of turmoil and now have some building pieces towards a better team.

Ownership is usually a big part of a teams long term problems.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I know. Because players have adjusted and don't touch them and it gives them more room when they have the puck on their stick.
It's like going from competitive hockey to non-hitting beer league. Less penalties in beer league but a heckuva lot more room to make plays.

No. The referees just call less now.

Their year by year game management decides levels, not the players.

Edit: Sans fights, obviously.

Reactions: td_ice

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I hope things stay this way. I never wanna see an 87 point Art Ross winner again. Scoring is good for the league.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
It appears there's quite a few teams left that believe playing low scoring games makes you a better candidate to win a championship. These teams feel like they can't outscore teams like the lightning and therefore are best to play a low defensive game otherwise there'd be more teams scoring 3.5 goals a game. It's going to take a TB or a Calgary to win the cup to truly shift the paradigm in the NHL.

I find it hilarious to watch because you guarantee yourselves nothing by playing 2-1 games. Only 1 team wins the cup.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I hope so. People tried to be cool on here and act like a 2-0 game was more exciting than a 6-5 game. goals and offense sells tickets. the NHL needs this.
Goals and offense sell tickets... in Canada. I can guarantee a 2-0 game with a bunch of big hits and a few fights would sell way better in the US than a 7-6 game with zero hits or fights. There’s going to be several teams filing bankruptcy and/or moving in the next 10 years. “Casual fans” in the US use corporate seats. They don’t buy anything except food and beer.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Going into games today the NHL was at a 3.05 goals per team per game average.

In the 8 games completed so far tonight they have a 2.625 rate, I wonder if things are going to tighten up again.

I certainly hope not.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Is it not a clear indication one players points are not directly tied to goals scored by everyone?

Yes, that would be correct, but not all adjusted points are computed using GPG, so you cannot say adjusted points are worthless.
For example, if you go to the HOH section, you can see VsX methods. In simplest terms, the VsX method uses the #2 scorer in any given year as a baseline.

Last edited:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Going into games today the NHL was at a 3.05 goals per team per game average.

In the 8 games completed so far tonight they have a 2.625 rate, I wonder if things are going to tighten up again.

I certainly hope not.

1/3 into the season scoring was at around 3.11, down to 3.04 now. Should still end above 3.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No way. That was very poor undisciplined hockey. I like offensive hockey but at the expense of the fundamentals. I dont want to see offense created because of poor play.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Actually goals/game is being kept artificially low by the NHL these days. The PPO (power-play-oppurtunities per team) every game is actually significantly lower than it was even in the 90s and 00s during dead-puck years.

If PPO's were closer to where they should be (around 4-4.5/game) then we'd see some real scoring. As it is now, the goals/game has been going down through the season and isn't significantly higher than it was last years though it's still above 6 thankfully.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
No way. That was very poor undisciplined hockey. I like offensive hockey but at the expense of the fundamentals. I dont want to see offense created because of poor play.

I think most fans disagree with you on 92-93 being exciting. I like good hockey too but i sure as hell don't like cautious hockey. I prefer my hockey to be aggressive get out of the foxholes and go on the attack kind of hockey but that's just me.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Actually goals/game is being kept artificially low by the NHL these days. The PPO (power-play-oppurtunities per team) every game is actually significantly lower than it was even in the 90s and 00s during dead-puck years.

If PPO's were closer to where they should be (around 4-4.5/game) then we'd see some real scoring. As it is now, the goals/game has been going down through the season and isn't significantly higher than it was last years though it's still above 6 thankfully.

It's cause these refs are wimps. Power play conversions are up and teams are more effective on the powerplay so they therefore are afraid to call penalties. Worst refs of the 4 major sports. No doubt about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->