Are we entering a new, high scoring era?

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
It was just a few seasons ago where players were winning Art Ross trophies with point totals in the high 80's. This season already has 1 player with 70+ points, 5 players with 60 + points, and 17 players with 50+ points, and we just passed the half way point of the season.

According to NHL League Averages | Hockey-Reference.com, the 2018-2019 season is on pace to be the highest scoring season since the 2005-2006 season, and besides that you would have to go back all the way to the mid 90's to find a season that high scoring.

With players such as Rantanen and Kucherov on pace for 130+ points this season, could we see a generational talent like McDavid score 150+ in a few seasons with Seattle entering the league, assuming he actually has some legitimate linemates by then?

This seems to be a really unique era, as games are becoming higher scoring again, but goaltenders are still putting up respectable numbers. There is also less hitting and fighting than there has been for many years, as the game continues to focus more on speed and skill.

Is this the beginning of a new era in the NHL and is the "post lockout era" officially over?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Could be but there were 3 shutouts in 5 games the other night so goalies could be getting used to the new changes.

Sundance

You Can Never Get To
Sep 7, 2010
Lillyhammer
It feel less like an era and more like a trend that will potentially swing in the opposite direction in the coming seasons. But to what degree, who knows. You'd hope the NHL would want to gift this generation of forwards at least four or five years of high scoring before correcting itself.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I doubt it. Goalies will adjust to the smaller pads and scoring will go down. Could take a few years though.

I am enjoying it now though!
Sure you are! It's not like you have only 1 player in the top-50 point producers who, of course, happens to be 50th! :laugh:

Joking aside, you certainly have cause to enjoy! I wish I could, not for a long time still though.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
when was the last time there were this many players on track for career years?

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I feel like the number of PPG players this season is making people think scoring is more "up" this season than it is. Total goals/game is only up .16 (both teams) compared to last season and that number often goes down as the season progresses and goalies get more locked in.

I've been beating this drum for a while, but it's not scoring as a whole that's up that much. It's the ongoing trend of top offensive forwards being paired with other top offensive forwards rather than being split up. Great players make other players more productive, and 2 great players make each other a lot more productive.

-Look at the top 20 in points this year and how many of those guys have another player on their own line that is way up the list as well. 10 years ago or even 5 years ago, guys like rantanen and Mackinnon would have been on separate lines to try to "balance" them. Many other teams like Buffalo, Boston, and Dallas all have their 3 best offensive F's on their top line.

-It's the same on the power play. Last year Toronto was splitting up their best players on 2 units, with Matthews leading the 2nd with Nylander. Now they added John Tavares, put him on the 1st unit with Marner and still moved Matthews to the 1st unit. Winnipeg uses Wheeler/Scheifele/Laine all on the 1st unit.

The top players are all inflating the scoring of the other top players on their teams' now, rather than the 2nd tier players.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
it's what happens when players aren't allowed to hit anyone under 6' because they'll get a penalty but those smaller players can do whatever they want.

Only sport I can think of that does everything it can to take away the advantage of size, strength and height and makes rules to benefit the smaller weaker players whom fall over in a light breeze. Not even Italian soccer does this. joy. - because I was getting tired of there only being one rule book in the league.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
it's what happens when players aren't allowed to hit anyone under 6' because they'll get a penalty but those smaller players can do whatever they want.

Only sport I can think of that does everything it can to take away the advantage of size, strength and height and makes rules to benefit the smaller weaker players whom fall over in a light breeze. Not even Italian soccer does this. joy. - because I was getting tired of there only being one rule book in the league.

You need both though because small teams dont survive in the playoffs where they tend to put the whistle away. Big teams can win there.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
There are a good few teams that suck hard this year that help inflate scoring a little. Rangers have been good for 22 GA in their last 4. You're welcome, opponents!

Reactions: NyQuil and EP40

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Since the top scorers are improving more than the League on average, could this also be an indication that harsher line regarding slashing (and hopefully in future regarding obstruction) plays larger role than the changes in the equipment?

Reactions: Mbraunm and radapex

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Is it because there are so many terrible teams? It appears that the majority of the league needs a full on rebuild.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Naturally,

Can’t compare this year to really any previous years because the game is different and the scoring differentials have a wide spread.

—————
What also helps is “babying” of the game. Not many hits, fights, scrums. Instead of the 3rd being a line full of checkers and the 4th being the energy line, they’re more or less skill lines that just spread offense.
—————
Really boring in my opinion, but if the fans want goal... this is the way to do it.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

I would agree with this.

After the first period of the Minny Bruins game it turned in to a public skate. Could of played 40 minutes without pads on.

I’ll wager coaches eventually put an end to the hug-a-thon going on and start asking their players nicely to start engaging physically out there. That will muck things up some and lower the scores.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Is it because there are so many terrible teams? It appears that the majority of the league needs a full on rebuild.

32 teams is going to be bad for the league. It's nice watching hockey with really well built teams, rather than the trend of 2-3 super stars that carry the team and depth just holding their own.

Reactions: EP40

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are a good few teams that suck hard this year that help inflate scoring a little. Rangers have been good for 22 GA in their last 4. You're welcome, opponents!

The Senators are like:

tenor.gif

Reactions: Nickmo82

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I think a majority of the teams are looking at those teams with generational/franchise players on them and have the same idea of tanking.

Of course, the Senators are a special kind of people as they are doing so without a 1st round pick.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Goalies will adjust a bit. I prefer the slightly higher scoring seasons, so I hope the league finds a way to keep up. Maybe start calling all the blatant interference at the blue line on dump ins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad