Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
I don’t think the d is good enough. Going to need unreal goaltending. Plus, the bruins own them.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
As a Caps fan they remind me of the Caps 2010. Glass canon.

I still think they lack some pieces, they will probably have to learn the hard way just like the Caps did. They will be contenders for a long time, I dont think their time is now though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Dead Last in the league with 1 fighting major this season. ONE.

Franchise player Mathews gets pummeled to the boards by Kronwall tonight and the reaction was just a face wash. Nobody even challenges Kronwall or any other Red Wing the rest of the game.

Leafs no doubt are one of the most skilled teams in the league but we all know when it comes playoff time, players will be bullying and targeting their stars. Theyve moved on from Martin who has led the team in fighting by a country mile over the last few seasons.

So are they tough enough ? Who's gonna stand up to someome like Tom Wilson?

Leafs are also bottom 5 in Hits given and contending teams like Vegas Pitt and Tbay are top 5.

NHL.com - Stats
Its open season on these stars.

IMO Yes the Leafs are tough enough to win a cup in the NHL these days.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
As a Caps fan they remind me of the Caps 2010. Glass canon.

I still think they lack some pieces, they will probably have to learn the hard way just like the Caps did. They will be contenders for a long time, I dont think their time is now though.
I agree. Theyre just getting started and the entire hockey world thinks they have to win the cup this year.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
First round exit again. Boston will have their lunch. TB will outclass them. Pitts and Washington will show them what it takes to win a cup.

They might be able to beat Montreal if they can line that up. Columbus would probably expose how soft they are but they have a chance there if Bob plays badly.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Vancouver Boston 2011.
That had nothing to do with toughness or fighting.

That had everything to do with one of the worst reffing performances in Stanley Cup history, everyone on Vancouver being injured and playing at like 25% effectiveness, and a no-name goalie possessed by Hasek for a year, all at once. And it still took 7 games.

I'll take my chances.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Toughness isn’t an issue, if they can get over that mental wall vs Boston I think they could go the way. Preferably beat Boston in the 1st round so that they continue the hype. Can they do that? I suppose we will see. I’d be surprised if they didn’t face each other at some point

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
That had nothing to do with toughness or fighting.

That had everything to do with one of the worst reffing performances in Stanley Cup history, everyone on Vancouver being injured and playing at like 25% effectiveness, and a no-name goalie possessed by Hasek for a year, all at once. And it still took 7 games.

I'll take my chances.

What an inaccurate summary!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I agree. Theyre just getting started and the entire hockey world thinks they have to win the cup this year.

No it's just the media. The media gets you guys amped every year it seems. Which is good in that it gets you excited about hockey but I'm of the opinion that you dont need media to hype up everything you do or blow up at every mistake they make. A lot of fans buy into that and since there are millions of you there is no escape from that media influence. Its like that with things in general with a lot of media I feel. It's how they sell their stories.

Toronto being a huge hockey media they just naturally get the worst of it. Since they have a real good team this year the media naturally hypes them up to cup status. I think they have a good shot if they get in but no leaf fan should expect it. That's how I was when we went to our cup finals that one year. Wasnt expecting it and a lot of the hockey world wasnt either so there was no real target on them. Since the amount of hype the leafs always get they will have one either way.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What an inaccurate summary!
Nope, pretty much spot on. I know it must be hard to have the least deserving Stanley Cup win in decades, but it doesn't change reality. You should be happy you got one at all.

A bunch of cowards being given free rein to take cheap shots isn't what makes a team "tough". It's not about who is bigger or taller or who acts the most obnoxious and macho or who can give the most sucker punches and run away. Team toughness is about a whole lot more than that, and if your team has any, you'd know that.

Usuallly the toughest teams are the ones who don't concern themselves with silly antics.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nope, pretty much spot on. I know it must be hard to have the least deserving Stanley Cup win in decades, but it doesn't change reality. You should be happy you got one at all.

A bunch of cowards being given free rein to take cheap shots isn't what makes a team "tough". It's not about who is bigger or taller or who acts the most obnoxious and macho or who can give the most sucker punches and run away. Team toughness is about a whole lot more than that, and if your team has any, you'd know that.

Usuallly the toughest teams are the ones who don't concern themselves with silly antics.
Come on man. That’s just embarrassing.
A Cup win is a Cup win. It was deserving.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Come on man. That’s just embarrassing.
A Cup win is a Cup win. It was deserving.
A cup win is a cup win, but when compared against other cup wins, it can be more or less deserving.

The only thing embarrassing was claiming that that win was because Boston was "tougher" than Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad