Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The Leafs didn’t do anything because NYR already had two penalties on the way. They didn’t want to risk offsetting them.

Kadri doesn’t shy away from standing up for himself. Kadri stood there and let McQuaid do what he wanted because he had already done his job. This has nothing to do with toughness.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
While that video was lovely to watch, Kadri and the Leafs did the smart thing, and should do the smart thing again in the playoffs. If he had started swinging that's a different thing.

The only issue is refs like to put their whistles away "cuz playoffs", so stuff like those cross-checks may go uncalled.

That's why playoff "toughness" is always brought up, you can get away with more in the playoffs.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Toughness doesn't matter at all, WPG was WAY tougher than Vegas and they got owned.

What matters most is skill.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How many threads are going to be made trying to discredit the Leafs today? They won no issues. The "big bad bruins" needed 7 games and the third period to beat them, and the Caps who are much bigger took every game to ot in 6 games despite the "Caps in 3" memes.

They are simply too fast and slippery to hit. And the Leafs got 4 minutes on the PP out of that. Most nights that's good for a few goals for them.

Well it was pretty good from a team that was supposed to be too old and slow for the Leafs.

But Toronto easily won the game. McQuaid was a non-factor.

Unfortunately toughness isn’t nearly what it once was. Hockey is slowly becoming disney on ice.

Rangers are a bad team.

I prefer skill and speed over toughness, but I prefer teams build with speed, skill& toughness over teams build with skill& speed.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
The Leaf didn’t do anything because NYR already had two penalties on the way. They didn’t want to risk offsetting them.

Kadri doesn’t shy away from standing up for himself. Kadri stood there and let McQuaid do what he wanted because he had already done his job. This has nothing to do with toughness.

You can look at it from that perspective, but sometimes you need to send a message. Kadri was man handled and his teammates just stared.

The Rangers are a bad hockey team. Leafs didnt need that power play to beat them. Stick up for yourself, send a message, and his teammates should have stepped in.

Reactions: BLONG7

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
-The Leafs' power play currently scores at a >25% clip. Good enough to be top 10 in the league.
-Kadri has scored 30+ goals in each of the past 2 seasons. He is a very useful player.
-McQuaid is at best a bottom pairing defenceman.

How exactly do the Leafs benefit from Kadri responding and taking offsetting penalties?:dunno:

Last edited:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Haha Kadri, fake tough guy when he is running guys from behind or accidentally falling into goalies, shrivels up and dives when a real man grabs him.

You straight up know that isn't true. He doesnt fight often, but has no issue with someone being bigger. But hey, keep making up stuff.

Reactions: nofehr

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
You can look at it from that perspective, but sometimes you need to send a message. Kadri was man handled and his teammates just stared.

The Rangers are a bad hockey team. Leafs didnt need that power play to beat them. Stick up for yourself, send a message, and his teammates should have stepped in.

Kadri literally put his hands at his side and let McQuaid throw him down. No one needed to stick up for him. They did the smart thing and were rewarded for it. End of story.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Horrible take. You think Kadri was upset someone dodnt come flying in? Discipline is far more important that showing how big your cock is. Enjoy being tough on the fairway, while the skilled teams are still playing for a championship.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
It’s overrated. You need good board players in the playoffs though. Pittsburgh and Chicago have 6 cups. Case in point.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't see the Rangers playing confidently because they have McQuaid.... so no, it doesn't matter.

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
Do you honestly believe this needs to be a new thread? You can find several on these boards already on this topic.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Hahah just watched the video, and it makes this thread better!

Comment: "Kadri punched the goalie"
Reality: Kadri bumps goalie, goalie gloves Kadri then Kadri gives him a soft push.

Comment: "McQuaid ragdolls Kadri"
Reality: McQuaid drops his gloves, realizes Kadri isnt going to fight and pushes him to the ground.

Great stuff everyone.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
So Kadri gets in goalies face and dumb player on other team cross checks him a few times and then throws down and Kadri just lets him, draws penalties.....

Hmmmmm, pretty sure Kadri just perfectly did HIS JOB there. There was no reason for his team mates to be upset, they know he just performed his job to a tee and I'm sure they appreciated it.

Reactions: Max Money

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Hahah just watched the video, and it makes this thread better!

Comment: "Kadri punched the goalie"
Reality: Kadri bumps goalie, goalie gloves Kadri then Kadri gives him a soft push.

Comment: "McQuaid ragdolls Kadri"
Reality: McQuaid drops his gloves, realizes Kadri isnt going to fight and pushes him to the ground.

Great stuff everyone.

Salty

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
The leafs have tried for years under Burke and Nonis to be a tough team to play against and it never worked.

Reactions: Kelly

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I suggest you peruse the NHL awards ceremony for 2009.

And wipe away those salty tears. 8 years later they are nothing but embarrassing.
Hmm, not so sure about NHL awards, but I do know that's the season Boston got 116 points and then got beat by Carolina in the 2nd round. Maybe they weren't tough enough for the playoffs? :popcorn:

Tim Thomas at even 2009 level equals Boston out of the playoffs in 2011. No salty tears. I can just see what's obvious in front of me. Boston didn't win because they were tough, or mean, or even the best team. I'd rather not rely on an all-time goaltending performance, help from the refs, and facing a broken down, injured team to barely win in 7 games.

When the Leafs win, it will be because they played to their strengths, just like many teams before them. Not because they sacrificed assets, roster spots, and skill for "toughness".

It's also cute that everybody thinks they know the level of Leafs toughness based on some early regular season games. Only thing that "tough" brings the Leafs at this point is penalties and undeserved suspensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino