Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Leafs, maybe. Their fans, nope!
I think the biggest question is; is the Leafs goaltending good enough for play-offs?
I haven’t seen Andersen much this year but he was super suspect against the Caps in the PO. He would play well, get cocky/overconfident and then become a messs.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well, the Bruins were. By the way, you didn't know who Tim Thomas was before 2011 Cup Finals?
Nope, Bruins weren't tough. They acted tough and took cheap shots against a bunch of injured people. Congrats?

Tim Thomas was a goalie that didn't play like that before 2011. He went on a run and got you a cup. Be grateful.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Nope, Bruins weren't tough. They acted tough and took cheap shots against a bunch of injured people. Congrats?

Tim Thomas was a goalie that didn't play like that before 2011. He went on a run and got you a cup. Be grateful.

I suggest you peruse the NHL awards ceremony for 2009.

And wipe away those salty tears. 8 years later they are nothing but embarrassing.

Reactions: FanSince72

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Let me start by saying that I don’t believe fighting is a deterrent.

I believe it to be an action that reflects a team that stands together and enables one to play with confidence.

So last night, this happened in the NYR vs Leafs game.

No one stood up for Kadri. Leafs have a great PP, McQuaid got 4 mins (though the NYR defended the PK successfully).

In the regular season, there is enough separation in talent to ensure that skill can beat toughness with enough frequency to get enough points to get into the post season.

Leafs don’t need a goon. Or really to do anything in order to make the post season.

But once they, and teams like them are there, it’s a different game.

In rounds 2-4, the teams left will also be skilled. With good PPs and PKs. Good goaltending. Probably similar puck systems.

Amongst two equal teams, does grit matter?
Does it really come down to winning puck battles and confidence?

That’s my question to the broader community.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I suggest you peruse the NHL awards ceremony for 2009.

And wipe away those salty tears. 8 years later they are nothing but embarrassing.

This place would be infinitely better if having a discussion didn’t lead to comments about salty tears.

It’s a game.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
This place would be infinitely better if having a discussion didn’t lead to comments about salty tears.

It’s a game.

If fans would stop crying over things that happened 8 years ago, there'd be no tears to comment about. You are correct, It's a game.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Let me start by saying that I don’t believe fighting is a deterrent.

I believe it to be an action that reflects a team that stands together and enables one to play with confidence.

So last night, this happened in the NYR vs Leafs game.

No one stood up for Kadri. Leafs have a great PP, McQuaid got 4 mins (though the NYR defended the PK successfully).

In the regular season, there is enough separation in talent to ensure that skill can beat toughness with enough frequency to get enough points to get into the post season.

Leafs don’t need a goon. Or really to do anything in order to make the post season.

But once they, and teams like them are there, it’s a different game.

In rounds 2-4, the teams left will also be skilled. With good PPs and PKs. Good goaltending. Probably similar puck systems.

Amongst two equal teams, does grit matter?
Does it really come down to winning puck battles and confidence?

That’s my question to the broader community.

With two teams equal in skill, sure it matters.

But the only team in the league with as much skill as the Leafs is Tampa.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
But Toronto easily won the game. McQuaid was a non-factor.

Unfortunately toughness isn’t nearly what it once was. Hockey is slowly becoming disney on ice.

Reactions: NY Lito

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
It was smart. If Kadri wanted to fight he would have fought. He's fought stronger and bigger players then mcquaid. I don't see how getting a pp is bad when mcquaid was being an idiot.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If fans would stop crying over things that happened 8 years ago, there'd be no tears to talk about. You are correct, It's a game.

Unless you truly think someone is reading your post and crying you’re just trying to be offensive to get a reaction.

I stand by my opinion that this place would be better without that.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I didnt get that either. Their teammate is being man handled and they just stare at it.

I think if teams are equally skilled, grit could make a difference in a seven game series. They can wear down the other team.

In that specific play, someone should have stepped in, regardless of losing a PP. I dont think the Leafs were concerned at any point losing that game to the Rangers. Kadri was completely out matched by McQuaid.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Kadris a punk but this is the new NHL. You can cross check and shove someone's goalie with no repercussions, and not have to answer for it I guess. And dive and draw a penalty.

Yes a little salty.....

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I doubt the Rangers even make the playoffs

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
How many threads are going to be made trying to discredit the Leafs today? They won no issues. The "big bad bruins" needed 7 games and the third period to beat them, and the Caps who are much bigger took every game to ot in 6 games despite the "Caps in 3" memes.

They are simply too fast and slippery to hit. And the Leafs got 4 minutes on the PP out of that. Most nights that's good for a few goals for them.

Reactions: Crispy Crust

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Kadri is a little rat weasel, always has been. That being said, they came away with 4 minutes of PP, regardless of whether they scored or not, playing 4 minutes on the PK, under normal circumstances, means not only to you have to endure pressure, but you also can't put any pressure on the opposing team. In a butterfly effect world this could potentially mean this may have won the Leafs the game by simply making sure the Rangers have less of a chance to score for about 4 minutes.

What IS concerning though is that the player behind McQuaid (was it Nylander?) did not jump MCQuaid from behind to hold him back. Not sure what to make of it, I'm not aware of Kadri's popularity in the locker or if this is just a case of the Leafs being too young and inexperienced to jump in.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Unless you truly think someone is reading your post and crying you’re just trying to be offensive to get a reaction.

I stand by my opinion that this place would be better without that.

It would be better without a lot of things. It's a message board. Deal with it.

Also, judging from the reaction, I can't really be sure if that poster was not crying. Read his posts and tell me you can.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
If I was Toronto, I’d take that exchange 10 out of 10.

4 minutes of PP for them will help them win a lot more than a tough guy with the amount of skill they can put on the ice with both there PP units.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Getting embarrassed like that will eventually manifest in a Kadri meltdown and suspension. Likely in the first round.

Oh and there was a reaction from the Leafs . Player 34 glanced at him for .5 seconds before looking away. Baby steps.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
As long as Marner doesn’t get intimidated and is there to lead and inspire the others they have a lifeline.

Reactions: Hot Pockets
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad